Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD S/C - Self-Install or Dealer Install?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
TRD S/C - Self-Install or Dealer Install?

I don't have the S/C yet but I'm seriously considering it. I've always believed in doing as much of my own work as possible. I looked through the installation instructions for a TRD S/C and I'm pretty confident I can do it. I looked at all the little steps and how much attention to detail is required and I have little confidence that a dealer tech will get all 100% of this right.

This is the warranty statement I've been reading;
"Warranty is the same as any other TRD powertrain components: 12 months or 12,000 miles. Superchargers installed by anyone other than an authorized Toyota dealer are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles. Specific warranty information is included with the supercharger."

I'm reading the warranty info a few different ways and I wanted some clarification on which is correct;

A) If I install this, I void my 5yr/60Kmi powertrain warranty and only the TRD S/C components are warranteed for 12,000mi.

B) If I install this, I keep my 5yr/60,000mi powertrain warranty, but the TRD S/C components are warranteed for only 12,000mi.

C) Same as B but Toyota can blame any powertrain failure on the S/C that I installed, leaving me with essentially no warranty.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
bruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant future
Navy: ET1
Name: Scott
bruinsrme's Tacoma Gallery
How much is the dealer going to charge?

Many of the toyota delaers around me allow the techs to do side work on their days off.

I am willing to bet if you talk to one of the techs at the dealer they would be willing to install if for around $200.
It is one of those, notch in the belt things. I have a toyota tech that is trying to convince me I need an SC and he'll charge me $150 to install it.
Why is he pushing me, LOL, because the tech in the next bay just did one.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer quoted me $700.

Really though its not the cost of install that concerns me. Its a lack of faith in the quality of work that I get when I take it in to one of these places. Its something that was implanted in me early on and I'll never shake it. I'd be willing to pay a dealer to keep my warrantee if they'd let me do the install in their bay and fill the paperwork out like one of their techs did it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
bruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant future
Navy: ET1
Name: Scott
bruinsrme's Tacoma Gallery
the warranties are still intact. it is an official toyota OEM part sold over the counter.
I am not sure if there is any dealer that would allow non-employees utilize the bay, insurance issues.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
The install is super easy. However there is one hard part. The crank pulley bolt is hard to take off. If you have an impact its no big deal. Just a lil FYI
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
The install is super easy. However there is one hard part. The crank pulley bolt is hard to take off. If you have an impact its no big deal. Just a lil FYI
x2 except my harbor freight sucked lol. I had to make my own TSS tool and then use a 8 foot cheater bar to finally break it loose.

Just install it your self its a great learning experience.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Install it yourself. More funner, learning, and you feel pride in yourself once you start that baby back up and hear that supercharger scream! But you do get a warranty if the dealer does it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #8

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
the warranties are still intact. it is an official toyota OEM part sold over the counter.
I am not sure if there is any dealer that would allow non-employees utilize the bay, insurance issues.
Cool So if my original vehicle warranty is not affected by me installing a TRD S/C on my own, I don't see any reason not to do it myself.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #9

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
x2 except my harbor freight sucked lol. I had to make my own TSS tool and then use a 8 foot cheater bar to finally break it loose.

Just install it your self its a great learning experience.
8' cheater bar!? Damn...
I do have a 20v Craftsman electric impact. I hope it has enough ass to take the crank pulley bolt off.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Cool So if my original vehicle warranty is not affected by me installing a TRD S/C on my own, I don't see any reason not to do it myself.
I read it the same way you do and agree you should do it. Make a full write up and throw it up on TW. That would be awesome.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
I was contemplating the same thing, in which case I would do it myself.

So, do it yourself
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Honestly, if something does arise that would require warranty work... doing it yourself could allow them to point the finger at you and deny the work. They shouldn't, but it could happen and it could become something you'd have to fight later on. Keep in mind the 6spd's have had the throwout bearing issue... dropping more power will just exacerbate that issue if yours has it and it could lead to an issue. Just something else to contemplate. I'd prefer to install it myself as well... I don't trust others that I don't know working on it either.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #13

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Honestly, if something does arise that would require warranty work... doing it yourself could allow them to point the finger at you and deny the work. They shouldn't, but it could happen and it could become something you'd have to fight later on. Keep in mind the 6spd's have had the throwout bearing issue... dropping more power will just masturbate that issue if yours has it and it could lead to an issue. Just something else to contemplate. I'd prefer to install it myself as well... I don't trust others that I don't know working on it either.
I totally get your thoughts and its something I'll have to consider as well before I take the plunge. Btw...you made it onto my sig.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #14

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
I read it the same way you do and agree you should do it. Make a full write up and throw it up on TW. That would be awesome.
I agree it would be a great experience to take pics and post up for others. Especially if I could section off the portions off the instruction sheet and correlate them with real-world pics. Hmm...this is starting to sound like a lot of fun!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
I totally get your thoughts and its something I'll have to consider as well before I take the plunge. Btw...you made it onto my sig.
Lol... that's what I get for trusting the spell check's first pick