1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes failed ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Asgard, May 18, 2008.

1. May 18, 2008 at 11:25 PM
    Asgard

Asgard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I let my girlfriend drive my truck today and when she came back she said there is something wrong with the brakes. According to her while approaching a stop sign she pressed the brake and the truck wouldn't stop (slowed but couldn't stop), she released the brake and pressed down on it again and then it stopped. This was on her way to her mother's house. I then got in the truck, drove around the block and everything seems to be OK. After 'interrogating' her this is what I think happened : she was speeding, didn't judge the distance to the stop sign, slammed down on the brakes and the ABS kicked in she panicked because she's not familiar with ABS and thought the brakes weren't holding. What do you guys think, I'm really not in the mood to spend a whole day down at the garage tomorrow.

2. May 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Yea i think that was ABS, my mother one time got freaked out with her car, she even got the brakes checked....

3. May 19, 2008 at 4:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There's nothing wrong with your brakes. She hit the brakes too hard locking up the wheels, and the ABS kicked in.

Technically - you're NOT supposed to take your foot off the brakes when the ABS is working or else that defeats the purpose of the system.

It's totally normal for it to pulsate on hard braking. It'll pulsate to prevent the wheels from locking up and skidding.

4. May 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah! ! What Janster said:D

5. May 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Like everyone else I'm guessing it was the ABS kicking in. On Friday I was kind of on autopilot when I noticed the light I was about to go thru was yellow turning red. It was only the second time the ABS has kicked in for me on dry pavement and it was a very strange feeling.

INHO this is another reason to have a scangauge. It will show the maximum and average speeds driven AND the maximum RPMs for the day. With that information you can get a pretty good indication if the truck was being driven like a bat out of hell.

6. May 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^That's it. I'm DEFINITELY buying a Scangauge now. I don't care if the wife thinks I'm spying on her or not but I didn't realize it had that kind of functionality.

7. May 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Yeah then when she gets in an accident and the ECU throws a code from impact you can look at the throttle position and tell whether she was speeding up or slowing down just before she wrecks your truck. :)

Oh yeah.. origional topic... one thought she might have experienced is that the truck didn't gear down (if an automatic) and so the pressure she put on the pedal wasn't enough. Hard stop but not hard enough to kick off brake assist or ABS could be what she experienced. I have at least once where I was on "autopilot" as well. Felt for sure I wasn't going to stop fast enough. I didn't release and reapply the brake but I did quickly downshift my automatic which made a difference. Oh and the only time this happened to me was with the A/C on. It was totally my bad though and wasn't any indication of malfunction in the system.

8. May 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i dont understand why the ABS feels so bad on these trucks. abs has never felt like this on older cars i've driven with it. event he camry i tried to lock up felt fine, but the truck freaks out when it does it...

9. May 19, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    exactly! i seem to have my abs kick on almost every time i drive mine. little cracks in the road, a small twig in my path, almost anything will make it kick on. I HATE THE ABS ON THESE TRUCKS!:mad: In the winter its almost like i dont have brakes when i get into ice and snow, not to mention when im off road on gravel forest service roads and such. It just wont stop when the ABS kicks on. Actually, one time i had to jam on my e-brake to stop my truck in the snow because the abs kept turning my brakes OFF! I woulda rear ended my buddy that stopped while we were out snow wheelin' if i didnt think that fast, and i was only going about 25-30 mph following him at a distance. Oh, he was in a '95 Toyota pickup and NEVER had his kick on! Man the ABS is intrusive in these trucks! Sorry, just a little tangent. guess you can tell what one of the biggest issues i have with my truck is now!

10. May 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Are you sure there isn't just a problem with your ABS? I mean, mine have never come on since the day I bought it and, considering how crappy people drive around here (tourists especially), I would think it would've at some point.

11. May 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM
    j4x4ar3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.

+1 or it's "driver error" and braking too hard for the conditions... that or crappy tires. I've never had mine kick on in normal driving situations either. I think I've only had it kick on once in the snow a well.

12. May 19, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    hey now..... dont be calling me a bad driver. lol. I might be a "spirited" driver, but my ABS just does this all the time. My Chevy that i had previously almost never kicked on over the 2 1/2 years that i had it, and i put the tires and wheels from it onto my Taco so i dont think its really me, or the tires. Of all the other trucks and cars i've driven i've never had an issue either, so i really dont think its me...... I dont think that i changed my driving style between the change either. Its really only a problem off road (ever try stopping quickly in sand? The ABS sucks off-road.) and in winter conditions. On dry pavement its usually fine.

13. May 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    ^Well that's what I mean, there may be a problem with the ABS, not you.

14. May 19, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    j4x4ar3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Hmm.. didn't notice the earlier comment about offroad however I can agree with that one. Offroad ABS isn't very good.. or is it. ABS is designed to keep the tires rolling to prevent skidding and maintain control. So it's doing what it was designed for.

When I offroad I put it in 4WD. The turns off all the VSC and stuff. Haven't experienced that offroad since I'm always in 4WD.

15. May 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    adamceckhardt

adamceckhardt Well-Known Member

Member:
    both toyota trucks I've owned ('01 tacoma and '06 tundra) had awful ABS brakes. I was never in a situation where I felt unsafe, but like others said, it just wasn't as smooth or predictable as in comparable toyotas or hondas I've driven.

I couldn't help but wonder if the rear brake proportioner had something to do with it? maybe IT isn't calibrated perfectly?

16. May 20, 2008 at 5:28 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i have only had mine kick on twice, both times it was un needed. and both times it felt like the truck was falling apart, sounded like a freight train on rails, and felt like the brake pedal was trying to eat my foot.

17. May 21, 2008 at 7:17 PM
    Duck*Soup

Duck*Soup New Member

Member:
    If you haven't, it's a good idea (when safe) to try a few full, hard ABS stops to get a feel for how they work on any vehicle you drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top