Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

IMPORTANT NEWS for anybody having THROW OUT BEARING trouble ......

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
71roadrunner is on a distinguished road

71roadrunner's Tacoma Gallery
IMPORTANT NEWS for anybody having THROW OUT BEARING trouble ......

The first of the PDM TO Bearing & Pilot Shaft repair kits have been delivered to one of the FJ guys and he has the pics and is going to keep us updated on the dealer install / repair of his 6 speed FJ (same deal as the Tacoma 6 speed). See thread here:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1658042

This thread also contains up-to-date info on this whole TO Brg deal (including where the bell housing debacle stands) !

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Question Future Availability ?

My only concern would be the future availability of the new TOB from PDM, since I can infer that in he new setup the Inside Diameter of the TOB would be different from the stock one.
I would like to know if the new TOB can be found as a standard replacement part or it has to be custom from PDM only.
I'm leaning for this solution when the chirp comes back (I know it will come back).
I hope the new TOB is an over the counter part from any auto store.

I hope to keep this truck until it dies in my hands and down the road the clucth and TOB will be replaced at least a couple of times due to normal wear.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Executive of Nothing.
Agent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the rough

Agent7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
My only concern would be the future availability of the new TOB from PDM, since I can infer that in he new setup the Inside Diameter of the TOB would be different from the stock one.
I would like to know if the new TOB can be found as a standard replacement part or it has to be custom from PDM only.
I'm leaning for this solution when the chirp comes back (I know it will come back).

I hope to keep this truck until it dies in my hands and down the road the clucth and TOB will be replaced at least a couple of times due to normal wear.

Good point... it would suck to have to keep buying modded tob's or taking them to get the inner sleeve shaved by a metal shop.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
71roadrunner is on a distinguished road

71roadrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post

We had been told that the bearing is a standard part sourced from some other vehicle. In this case, for some reason, I'm thinking I read somewhere that it is from a Tundra. Not positive on that though, but a good question to put to PDM.

Also note : The kit replaces Toyota part #31230-60240. This P/N is for the FJ, not sure if it's the same on the Tacoma (they are the same transmission and clutch parts though). You can verify it with your dealer. Call & give them your VIN & ask for the proper part number.
The kits are now available and the cost will be $195 plus S&H of $9 for ground, $18 for 2nd day, & $40 for overnight. I think I read that one of the guys who bought one said the price had gone up a little more than originally quoted. We have been talking to Joel Cox @ PDM (http://www.pdmtsk.com/home.html).

Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
this is awesome, but how can I tell if i have a bad throw out bearing?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
No problems here yet. Thanks for keeping us all updated. I have been watching your posts.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for later viewing
Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Bellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Subscribed:

Cant wait to see what the Labor would be for this. I want to get it done while replacing the clutch and Flywheel, and thats already est. about $500 Labor from AMCO.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
afireinside is on a distinguished road
afireinside's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #15
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71roadrunner View Post

The kit replaces Toyota part #31230-60240. This P/N is for the FJ, not sure if it's the same on the Tacoma (they are the same transmission and clutch parts though). You can verify it with your dealer. Call & give them your VIN & ask for the proper part number.

Mine was replaced last week and Part# on invoice is 31230-60230
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
tictoc is on a distinguished road

tictoc's Tacoma Gallery
this is awsome!!! wut other clutch kits can use its T/O bearing for future reference?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
High pitch cyclic squeaking from the transmission except when the clutch is depressed.
On mine, it was most prevalent when the clutch was slightly pushed in. Pushing it all the way in would cause it to stop. Only occassionally could I hear it while driving with the clutch out and almost never in neutral.

I got mine replaced last weekend. The tech was trying to listen for it but couldn't replicate the problem until we went for a test ride. I mentioned that it was most prevalent with the clutch slightly pushed in. He verified that it was the same sound. He said he's done a few of them and that mine was the first one he encountered where it wouldn't do it in neutral or while driving.