1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 starting problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cortez_a, May 12, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    Overall it's good to know I am not the only one. It seems like the more and more I fall in love with the truck and want to keep it forever, the more things come up.

I know they aren't a big deal, and i'm not complaining because I love my truck, just sayinnnn

2. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Update: So I have been doing the whole on position start thing, and I haven't had the issue with the truck not starting. But, in the morning when I turn it on or if it's been off for a few hours, it feels like the start is almost "weak". it doesn't take long to crank or turn on, just kinda feels weak, then the engine picks up and it idles nice and strong. I am not sure if this is just the nature of the beast, or if there is actually an issue.

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Bump

hoping someone can chime in, it RPMS seems to drop really low kind of like it may die, and then it revs itself back up to about 1500 RPM and it's running strong. Any ideas?

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    A couple things to add.

I am 99% sure that the fuel pump is not engaged on the 05+ trucks with the key on and only comes on when cranking occurs. It is different than the older Tacomas. I know this because I tried to empty the tank with the fuel pump to swap pumps, and the pump does not turn on with Key on. ( ended up emptying it from the return line with the truck running ( dumping the return into a gas can instead of the tank).

I had a hard start issue with my truck when I bought it ( 35K used). The check valve in the fuel pump had failed and would not hold pressure between startups. The system should hold 50-70% of the system pressure at key off and slowly bleed down ( hours) after that. My truck would drop to 0 PSI immediately at key off. So basically, the system was completely empty from the rails down at each startup.

Put in the new 255 pump ( with new check valve) and problem solved.

Just my experience, but I dont think priming with the Key on is possible on the 2nd gen trucks. The pump doesnt turn on. And if you read the service manual, you have to use the scan tool to turn the pump on.

I alway pause at the on position as well, but thats to allow the cam sync to finish. ( common no start issue when running the APR X-1). Its just a habit now.

Justin

5. Dec 10, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    FishMan

FishMan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tator Salad
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner
    16" wheels on 265/75/16 revo 2s, Tow package
    Had this same issue. Took it in for service to Toyota Dealership and told me the same thing. You need to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position to prime the fuel system before cranking it. I was also told that topping off the gas tank will exacerbate this problem.

-Fish

6. Dec 10, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    I've had a few starts where it seems like its not going to for half a second. I threw a valvoline nitro shot in it cleaner/water remover.

But now that I read the key thing I realized I do stick the key in and crank it all the way to start :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top