1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 starting problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cortez_a, May 12, 2010.

1. May 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    cortez_a

cortez_a [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    I purchased my Taco in Dec. Since then there have been about 8 times where the truck has trouble starting. The first time it was a cold night so I just chalked it up to that. Then the next few of times it happened I thought maybe it was the cheap gas (dealer assured me it worked just as well as higher octane gas). So I switched to better gas and since have had it happen 3 more times. I'm not sure if it's the starter, or if it is something else? Anyone have any idea's?

I'm a good 200 miles from the nearest Toyota Dealer and since it doesn't happen on every start up I have no idea how long it will take them to diagnose the problem and fix it.

Update March 2018:
    So I've had my truck now for 8 years 75,000 miles. It seems my issue is related to the outside ambient temperature. If it's between 30 and 50 degrees fahrenheit the truck struggles. Any warmer and the truck starts normally any colder and it seems to pull more energy from the battery. While it was under warranty I brought it up to the dealer several times. I was assured that it's normal and shouldn't be considered a problem until the truck won't start. 8 years later, the problem still persists but the truck still starts, sometimes just barely. I've considered rebuilding my starter but I'm not sure. Anyone else have an Idea of anything else to try?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. May 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    GWL

GWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 5speed 4x4 :)
    its not just me! dealer also said it might be gas to me, i find if i put the clutch HARD to the floor it starts better

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    nosale

nosale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport S/C 3" level
    TRD Supercharger 3" Leveling Kit TRD Skid plate (for looks :P) Black Granite Alloy Rims for Winter tires
    I have the same problem with my 2011 taco. I've got an incline in my driveway (about 5% - a little over a half inch per foot). I've noticed the starting problems are the worst there. My truck is an automatic, so no clutch/flywheel problems there. My fuel tank was just filled (with premium gas... I can only use 91+ octane with the supercharger). I'm guessing something with the fuel pump? Either of you two figure out what the problem was?

I have it booked for service in 3 days. I will let you guys know what the dealer said.

E

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    Sub'd

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I've noticed my truck has a couple hard starts after I have disconnected, and then reconnected the battery which resets the ECU.

By resetting the ECU, it forgets the ideal Air/fuel ratio for your truck and area specifically and reverts back to factory spec which tends to run rich causing a hard start. It's gonna take around 500-1000 miles to relearn the ideal A/F ratio so you'll have a handful of hard starts till then.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    My truck is new, with 1000 miles, do you think it could be still learning the ideal fuel ratio?

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    That and since you live in Vancouver, the cold.

8. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Yeah, but it wasn't all that cold this morning. It's been much colder lately and hasn't done it. It seemed to warm up today.

9. Nov 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    cortez_a

cortez_a [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    In all, I've had probably 40 or 50 hard starts. Now that the truck is a little older, it is nowhere near as frequent as when I first purchased it. There was a string where it seemed every other time I started the truck it would be a hard start up. Didn't notice it increase or decrease with different grades of gas.

Brought it up to the dealer a few times, I've been told that it is not out of the ordinary for Tacomas to have hard starts and since the truck isn't putting out any codes, there probably isn't anything wrong.

I noticed they usually occur after a long trip. This leads me to believe that it probably was an air to fuel ratio like shoghi suggested. Since I live in at 6200 ft, any time I take a trip I always go down in elevation which is probably throwing off the computer since there is more oxygen at lower elevations.

With that said, its been at least 5 or 6 months since I've had a hard start.

10. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    This morning was the first time for me, but basically it didn't start the first time. Just cranked over and over. Then i tried immediately after (prob shoulda waited a second) and cranked and then started (pretty rough though)... Then I went and gassed up, and when I turned it on again it started beautifully. So I am not sure if it's the chip or the fuel pump or an actual issue

I called a service guy at toyota, pretty good guy actually, has a 2011 tacoma too (an 09 before that), and apperantly he is actually on here, but anyways... He said his 09 and 11 have both done that 1 time. Then never again. He told me he couldn't explain in, but not to worry. So I don't know

11. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    how are you linking fuel quality with flywheel or clutch probs?

when people have a starting issue..either the motor turns over and doesnt fire, or it doesnt turn over. i guess you have the first issue.

12. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Thanks whipper, helped me out again

13. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Yeah, I've had it for a month and started it everyday and this is the first time. It may be tough to duplicate.

14. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    My truck Air/fuel is 14.5 at idol and has been for the last 1300 miles now since i bought it brand new. I don't think this is the cause of the problem because I have reset my ecu a few times since I've owned the truck and never have issues starting.

One thing I did notice with my dads 08 is that he has had this issue and he just slams the key in and starts it right up.. I've told him to put key in, put it to the on position and wait a few seconds, then start it. He never had the issue after that.

15. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Yeah I'm guilty of putting the key in and starting up, I won't anymore though.

16. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Ohhh yes, Tacos areeee picky ;)

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Your right, it shouldn't matter but it really does matter. You need to prime the injectors before you start them otherwise your not putting enough gas in the motor due to a lack of pressure in the lines.

My wifes 600F4i won't start for 15-30 seconds unless you let the injectors prime before start up.. My Type-R honda is pretty much the same but its only a few seconds. It's a pressurized system that SHOULD hold enough pressure when its off but doesn't always seem to be the case. I wait till the beeping is done from putting on the key and that's pretty much close enough. Try that and I bet you don't run into any more problems.

18. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Wow, sorry to hear you owned a Rotary :)

Both my parents Taco's have this issue. Never tested my 2011 to see if it does.

My wife's civic si, doesn't have this issue.
    My type-r didn't have this issue till i upgraded the pump/injectors.

Maybe it's the amount of pressure it needs? anyone know what the PSI is in the lines for fuel on a Tacoma? Not sure what causes it, but I know giving it a few seconds is the fix.

19. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    There used to be a tsb for "intermittent no start condition"...TSB EG011-07 which did a recalibration of the ECM. It took care of my starting issues back in 2007.

20. Nov 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    Toyoghi

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Yeah but the TSB isn't for Tacoma's that are 09+

Products Discussed in

To Top