Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The Vibe in a 4x2?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
herta28 is on a distinguished road

herta28's Tacoma Gallery
The Vibe in a 4x2?

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I posted this over at TN, but didn't get much help, so I'll try here.

I bought a 2006 Tacoma DCAB 4x2 Prerunner SR5 Off Road 5spd AT back in January. I noticed a severe vibration would occur during acceleration right at about 35-40 mph. Now, I read all about the dreaded "vibe" that plagues most Tacomas, but it seems like most of the time it occurs on 4x4's that have been lifted. Mine is neither of those. I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they "couldn't re-create the condition", but they lubed the drive-shaft. The vibe returned right when I pulled off the lot. The second time I took it in, they felt the vibe, checked the differential and the drive-shaft, but concluded that my tires were the culprit, even though there's still plenty of tread left on them. Their tire theory doesn't make sense to me, because when I drop the transmission down into 4th, the condition does not occur. Any suggestions??
Old 05-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Did they check the carrier bearing?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #3

herta28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
Did they check the carrier bearing?
He didn't mention it, so I'm guessing no.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check your tires? Could be as simple as a missing weight or getting them re-spun.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #5

herta28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koov View Post
Did you check your tires? Could be as simple as a missing weight or getting them re-spun.
If that was the case, wouldn't the vibe happen no matter what gear I'm in? It happens only in "D" and right at 35-40 mph. When the service manager at the dealer told me they thought it was the tires, he didn't mention anything about them being out of balance. He just showed how they were starting crack a bit on the sidewalls.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Try rotating the tires, then see if the vibe is still there. Takes a little time, but no $$...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar vibe and it turned out to be a bad u-joint. Remember the PreRunners have sealed u-joints, they cannot be greased. I would take it to another dealer.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
How about Alignment??
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #9

herta28's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to take it back to the dealer (it has to be the same dealer...warranty is with them only). I'll have him check the carrier bearing and the u-joints.

Does anyone think the driveline vibration fix would work on a non-lifted 4x2?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
2.7taco is on a distinguished road
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by herta28 View Post
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to take it back to the dealer (it has to be the same dealer...warranty is with them only). I'll have him check the carrier bearing and the u-joints.

Does anyone think the driveline vibration fix would work on a non-lifted 4x2?
If the drive line vibration was a problem then it would be progressively worse as road speed increased and the same goes for tires out of balance. I would guess your problem would be in the transmission since it only happens in
"D".

I would avoid altering the driveline angle since it can cause major issues if done incorrectly.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
frankybones is a jewel in the roughfrankybones is a jewel in the roughfrankybones is a jewel in the roughfrankybones is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
frankybones's Tacoma Gallery
any update on this?I am having the same issue. It started before I lifted the truck got worse when I lifted then I added the dif drop and not as bad as after lift but still there.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #12

herta28's Tacoma Gallery
Not yet. I was just going to bump this thread for any last minute suggestions before I take it back to the stealership for a THIRD time. I'll update once I find anything out.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
kerusm is on a distinguished road
Name: Kirby
kerusm's Tacoma Gallery
vibe

I have a 05 dcab prerunner. Noticed a little vibration at slow speeds. rotated my tires and at the same time it seemed the vibration was getting worse. Would only vibrate when on the pedal?? Crawled under it and noticed the keepers on front and rear U-Joint looked like they had been moving. Had front and rear U-Joints replaced ($130.00) and its smooth as glass now.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #14

herta28's Tacoma Gallery
**UPDATE**

Turns out it was the torque converter. I dropped off the truck earlier this evening at the stealership. They're fixing it on their dime, and they gave me a shiny new Corolla to scoot around in while they work on it.