Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best Tires for Highway driving

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Best Tires for Highway driving

Wondering what the best tire I can get for highway driving?

I do no off roading, being it is a prerunner.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
TOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TOYOTA 09's Tacoma Gallery
The stock tires that came on it
Old 05-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
Any of the Michelin LTX are great for street use.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
These:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Going from a 265/65r17 to a 245/70r17 may also help mpg because they are a little thinner and a few pounds lighter while having the same diameter.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
^Those or the BFG Long trail.

Had the LTX M/S on my truck and we have the Long Trail on the wife's jeep. Both are phenomenal quiet long lasting tires with excellent road manners in wet and dry conditions.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
2.7taco is on a distinguished road
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koov View Post

These tires are the factory size and best tire you can buy. These tires usually exceed 70,000mi and have excellent road characteristics. I used to work at a tire shop and I have seen customers who have had these tires on their trucks and requested these tires be put back on.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
nhstang is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
nhstang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott504 View Post
Any of the Michelin LTX are great for street use.
X2 Had these on my 02 4Runner, quietest tires around IMO. Nice in the rain too. So far so good with the stock bridgestones on my new '10 Taco sport.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
I am considering the Micheline LTX MS2...anyone run with them on?? I know they don't look that aggressive, but I only drive on highway anyway.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7taco View Post

These tires are the factory size and best tire you can buy. These tires usually exceed 70,000mi and have excellent road characteristics. I used to work at a tire shop and I have seen customers who have had these tires on their trucks and requested these tires be put back on.

that's a lot of moola for a tire.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am considering the Micheline LTX MS2...anyone run with them on?? I know they don't look that aggressive, but I only drive on highway anyway.
I had those on my Ranger and planning on getting them put on my daily driver Taco very soon. I loved them, very quiet, smooth riding tire.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On my previous pickup they lasted 84k miles with rotations every 5k. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
ASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant future

ASE_MasterTech's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, Michelin tires are the best for 'normal use', period.
They have the best traction (in all conditions) & wear the longest..
Old 05-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
The Forcer
Sforza will become famous soon enoughSforza will become famous soon enough

Name: Rich
Sforza's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires that I put on my truck. Like you, I do not do any off road driving. These tires have great grip on wet roads. With the stock tires, with just a little bit of gas, the tires would start to slip, but with these tires MS2, I have not been able to get them to slip in wet weather even when I punch it to the floor.

I am thinking that you get a bit of rain up in Seattle.

The LTX M/S2 is Michelin’s Highway All-Season light truck tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as for commercial vans, shuttles and chassis cab vehicles using light truck tire sizes. The LTX M/S2 is designed to combine a smooth, quiet ride with year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow. Compared to the original LTX M/S, the LTX M/S2 is an evolution in looks…and a leap forward in performance.
The LTX M/S2 molds a long wearing, silica-enhanced all-season compound into a tread profile featuring Michelin’s MaxTouch Construction to produce a contact patch that promotes reliable traction and long wear by evenly distributing acceleration, braking and cornering forces. A symmetric tread design of stable independent tread blocks featuring high-density 3-D Active Sipes delivers all-season traction on dry roads and in inclement weather. Four wide circumferential channels, multiple lateral grooves and open shoulder slots promote lateral water evacuation to enhance wet traction and stopping performance.
The tire’s internal structure includes twin steel belts (three steel belts in Load Range D and Load Range E sizes) to provide the strength and durability needed to handle heavy loads.
NOTE: The LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
The Forcer
Sforza will become famous soon enoughSforza will become famous soon enough

Name: Rich
Sforza's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have had them on for about 4000 miles now and I really like them. Quiet, smooth, good grip on the road, and really good in the rain, where they just do not break loose no matter how much gas I give it.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
MonStar

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for responses. I ended up getting the LTX MS2 tires and so far I like them. Very smooth and quiet. Kinda expensive, but hopefully with a 70K tread warranty, I won't need new tires in a long time.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
Captain

What size you go with, pictures! (I just like pictures of tacomas )
Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #19
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
what about the hankooks? 60k milage. cheap.

The Dynapros i have get over 50k mile warranty. They drive great and look great too. 265/70/17. biggest size you can go stock. Make the truck look better as well.

speed odometer is off by 5mph at 70mph now though. no big deal to me, but it might matter to some ppl.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #20
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Michelin LTX AT2 are the best tires IMO ... even better than the LTX M/S2.

Had the OEM BFGs removed at 12,500 miles and put the LTX AT2s on about 1,500 miles ago and they grip the road unbelievably well.

I had made a post in "wheel & tire section" about these tires before.

Products Discussed in this Thread