Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recalibrating VSC, why & how?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Recalibrating VSC, why & how?

My question is, why and how do you recalibrate the VSC system. The dealer had no idea, and RCD says that you sometimes have to do this. Any ideas?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
only times i've heard people doing it is after a lift their VSC kicks in easily when it didnt before the lift in the same situation. if that dealer doesnt know, i'd be heading somewhere else
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard my system kick in from time to time with my toytec ultimate kit. No big deal. I just don't want the lights to be lit up all over my dash.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
I have heard my system kick in from time to time with my toytec ultimate kit. No big deal. I just don't want the lights to be lit up all over my dash.
are you getting a light that's staying on all the time?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
See post #2
Dang dude, you rock. How did you find that? The dealer never even heard of that. Would this have to be done by a Toyota dealer I would assume?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Dang dude, you rock. How did you find that? The dealer never even heard of that. Would this have to be done by a Toyota dealer I would assume?
definately a dealer thing. if that one had never heard of it or played dumb, i'd go somewhere else.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
are you getting a light that's staying on all the time?
No. I was just told that after doing an RCD that I may have to recalabrate.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
No. I was just told that after doing an RCD that I may have to recalabrate.
quite possibly a CYA for the company. many people on here w/ VSC running 3" and 6" lifts that havent needed it. I do remember a WHILE back that someone would take the same turn after the lift and the VSC would kick on. that's the only time i'd worry about doing it. they hook up the machine and it recalibrates the sitting angles for the VSC unit, IIRC
Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I'm probably gonna do this when I get a chance, mine acts up all the time now
Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I searched for the document because I knew I had seen it before. One of the reasons you would want to recalibrate the VSC data is if you did anything to your truck which would require a front end alignment adjustment.

So guys who lift their trucks and add aftermarket control arms and larger tires are changing the factory geometry of the suspension, ergo, they would require a front end alignment adjustment.

To recalibrate it is a two step process.
1. Clearing zero point calibration data.
2. Yaw rate sensor and deceleration sensor zero point calibration
You can do this procedure yourself. It's rather simple but the document makes it look scary.

Here is the deal. Toyota makes a handheld tool called techstream, but they also have low tech tools too. The document gives instructions on how to use techstream tool, and the lowtech "checkwire tool."

If you look at the document you would want to follow the instructions for the "check wire" method in step 4 and step 5 to complete your goal.

I think there is a misprint in the document in title for step four though. It is giving instructions on how to use a SST check wire which is a basic tool to short circuit pins on the DLC3 connection port. The misprint is:
CLEAR ZERO POINT CALIBRATION (for Using a Intelligent Tester)

When it should read:

CLEAR ZERO POINT CALIBRATION (for Using a SST Checkwire)
Like I said, if you do steps four and five you should be all set.

Any short piece of hookup wire about 2 inches in length can be used to accomplish this goal. Look at the document for a picture of where the DLC3 port is. It is right under the driver side fuse block.

If this all sounds like a hassle, then a dealer visit is in order.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Had my VSC reset at the dealership , it took about 15 mins tops .

OZ
Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
forrest108 is on a distinguished road
forrest108's Tacoma Gallery
VSC recalibration

Dealer re-calibrated the VSC, (had to bring them the PDF instructions). VSC still goes off just as before; around downhill turns with some rough spots. Do not like it, nothing safe about this feature. Anyone know how to disable just the VSC? I've read other posts on the Web about this but nothing very clean.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Wait... is it really just a short section of wire jumping two connections to do this recalibration with the ignition set to different points and doing it X number of times. That seems too easy... is the wire used something specific or just anything that can fit and jump those connections?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Wait... is it really just a short section of wire jumping two connections to do this recalibration with the ignition set to different points and doing it X number of times. That seems too easy... is the wire used something specific or just anything that can fit and jump those connections?
I believe it to be a very simple procedure using a simple wire. Any wire will do (I use twisted pair cross-connect wire used for telephone punch blocks).

I understand it to be any short piece of wire should be fine. Read the Toyota procedure document that is linked in post #2 and read what I wrote in post #12.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
DaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura about
Army: Navy / Army
Name: Dave
DaveSmith's Tacoma Gallery
Did anyone do the self VSC zero/reset with jumper wire?

Crom, DevL: So how did the zeroing and recalibration go? Did you use a small piece of wire to jump across the terminals pictured in the above mentioned schematic? Is it really that easy. If someone has done this themselves please post.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
forrest108 is on a distinguished road
forrest108's Tacoma Gallery
VSC switch jumped to automatically turn off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I searched for the document because I knew I had seen it before. One of the reasons you would want to recalibrate the VSC data is if you did anything to your truck which would require a front end alignment adjustment.

So guys who lift their trucks and add aftermarket control arms and larger tires are changing the factory geometry of the suspension, ergo, they would require a front end alignment adjustment.

To recalibrate it is a two step process.
1. Clearing zero point calibration data.
2. Yaw rate sensor and deceleration sensor zero point calibration
You can do this procedure yourself. It's rather simple but the document makes it look scary.

Here is the deal. Toyota makes a handheld tool called techstream, but they also have low tech tools too. The document gives instructions on how to use techstream tool, and the lowtech "checkwire tool."

If you look at the document you would want to follow the instructions for the "check wire" method in step 4 and step 5 to complete your goal.

I think there is a misprint in the document in title for step four though. It is giving instructions on how to use a SST check wire which is a basic tool to short circuit pins on the DLC3 connection port. The misprint is:
CLEAR ZERO POINT CALIBRATION (for Using a Intelligent Tester)

When it should read:

CLEAR ZERO POINT CALIBRATION (for Using a SST Checkwire)
Like I said, if you do steps four and five you should be all set.

Any short piece of hookup wire about 2 inches in length can be used to accomplish this goal. Look at the document for a picture of where the DLC3 port is. It is right under the driver side fuse block.

If this all sounds like a hassle, then a dealer visit is in order.
Crom,
Any idea how to jump the switch so that every time the ignition is turned on the VSC switch would be off?

Dealer reset everything with the doc you provided. No change. VSC still goes off on turns with slightly rough pavement. Real pain and not safe.

Thanks for your help this far.
Blake
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #19
dgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to behold

dgalleon's Tacoma Gallery
how much did the dealer charge to perform this?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgalleon View Post
how much did the dealer charge to perform this?

Mine was free , covered under warranty .