1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership STILL refuses TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SCFirefighter, May 14, 2010.

1. May 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    BCTacoma2010

BCTacoma2010 Michigan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Southwest Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Platinum F150
    I know not every one will like this comment but I've had more than 900 lbs in my truck (lumber and landscape items) and the ride was fine, not even close to bottoming out. I've also pulled my small utility trailer with probably 1500 lbs in it with the same result.

My understanding is that not all trucks will experience this issue. Just my two cents.

2. May 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    they are looking for marks where it bottoms out. Get the 80# bags in the back of your truck, go off a curb and it will bottom out.

3. May 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab

I don't think you have to prove anything to Toyota or the Dealership, Toyota has recognized this problem (proof being the TSB) What I would do is send a short letter to the dealer making note of when the truck was taken in for this repair and you being denied, state in the letter that a copy is being forwarded to the state attorney general and that if any misfortune should happen as result of Toyota not complying with the TSB, It will be Toyota/dealership (not you) who will be held responsible.

This thing about taking your truck in "Loaded down" is ridiculous Doc

4. May 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    Smartest man in the world. ;)

5. May 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    get the tsb and go back up there. there is a sentence in the 1st or second paragraph, that states something to the effect of "some customers might experience a harsh ride, if so there is way to fix it". highlight this sentence and tell them that when you go over speed bumps, pull a trailer, or have weight in the bed, you experience a harsh ride. do this in a very nice manner, kill them with kindness. if you
    take this approach, there is no way they can dance around it. that one sentence is so vague, it is tough for them not to do it. that is the approach i took when getting mine.

6. May 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    ^^this guy is right. I am a born and bread salesman (yes, bring it on). There are so few people in this world that are not susceptible to kind words and "logic". I hate to say this but if you are a bit of a pushover the stealerships will take full advantage of you. Now that you have butted heads at the one I would strongly recommend going somewhere else and trying that approach with a clean slate. A much better chance of getting what you want with little to no hassles. just my 2 cents

7. May 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    HMA

HMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hal
    Bainbridge, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '10 Taco Surveying Machine '22 Lunar Rock
    I had no trouble at all. I've had my truck for 2 months and recently learned about this from you guys. One of my employees just bought one and I gave him the tsb printout. He took it to the dealer and they agreed to do the work before he took delivery. The service guy even suggested ordering the parts for mine even though I bought from a different dealer.

8. May 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    After going back and forth about this, the dealer gave me the same crap about putting in weight so it can be inspected.

I told him ( in a not nice manner )
    Im not going to waste my time or money to show you a problem
    that is well known, and already documented as a problem (TSB).

After i had it done, i have not returned to that dealer.

9. May 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I'd consider loading 1000 lbs. of fresh manure in the bed, then drive it into their shop & see how fast they can OK that TSB!

LOL

OK, I haven't had mine done yet, but I discussed it with my dealer & they seemed perfectly willing if I decided that was what I wanted.

Bingham Toyota in Clovis, CA. is where I go. We've been taking our Toyotas there for 10 years & they've been very reasonable people to work with.

10. May 14, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    If you wouldn't mind a short drive, I had mine done at Scott Will Toyota in Sumter. Told them I wasn't happy with the ride, showed them the tsb and they ordered the parts. Dan Daniel is the guy I dealt with. Sam Tayor is a good guy to work with as well.

11. May 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    So they can actually see if it happened or not? That might be why they refused the work when I went by; nothing happened yet.

I loaded up my truck with 5 firefighters totaling roughly 1000lbs and made them jump; They felt it hit the shocks lol

If they need marks, they have marks now. I'll still get the bags Monday and go by the dealer.

12. May 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    they wont be hitting the shocks, they are casing the bumpstop to hit the frame rail above it. stick ur head in the rear fender and look at the flat surface above the bumpstop. if u hit it, it should make a square looking spot on there from the contact

13. May 14, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    You shouldn't have to beg the dealer to install leaf springs that allow you carry the amount of weight in the vehicle it is sold and advertised as being able to handle....

14. May 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    You tell THEM that. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't spend my purchase money there.

15. May 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Sumter is about as far away as Columbia. I really want this done in town for convenience sake. I give them one more change on Monday. If they #fail me there, I will never set foot in there again unless my truck has to get towed there.

16. May 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Yes. Add the quickcrete or bags of sand from Home Depot. That is the easiest thing to do. Take it to the dealer with 800 lbs in the back. It is a hassle but sometimes that is what it takes.

Here is a pic of what mine looked at pre-TSB. It was obvious the bump stops were getting a work out.

[​IMG]

17. May 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    lol, you watermark your pics :) Sweet picture though, thanks for the illustration.

18. May 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    Sorry for the problem you are having. Dealership that did my TSB never looked for the marks to see if it was bottoming out. Tech said he didn't advise but if I wanted it he would do it.

I would take it to a different dealer...........It can be done.

Mike

19. May 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    ScubaCougr

ScubaCougr Active Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRrunner
    nerf bars
    Happens all the time when regional managers are responsible for hitting a profit number. Corporate types don't have to worry about that.

If they want the problem replicated, great. Go to Home Deopt, buy as many bags of mortar or sand mix as needed to replicate problem. Drive to dealer. Return sand when dealer agrees.

Or try a different dealer. Every one is different and a lot can depend on service manager/dealer personality. Some are real ball busters, others very reasonable.

20. May 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    After you load the sand, make sure your drive over some speed bumps to insure the maks from bottoming out are good ones.............

Products Discussed in

To Top