1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership STILL refuses TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SCFirefighter, May 14, 2010.

1. May 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you
    Suggestion...find another dealership...easiest thing first.

Then if that is not an option, make hell for them! Go to your local T.V. station, infact all of them, (and the papers too). Tell them what is going on, and have them call HQ and talk to the person you did. Have the TV station say they are going to air this problem, (the TSB that is, and the problems you are having getting this work done) Toyota will shit!!! They have enough bad press as it is and do not want more, not to mention they want as few people to know about the TSB as possible because it costs THEM money.

Someone said some dealerships don't want to do the work because of the cost. This is crap! The dealership does NOT eat the cost of the TSB...it is a warenty issue! Toyota payes the dealership the money, just the same as you would if you were paying out of pocket! It is that simple!!!

Yes, Toyota does NOT own the dealerships. However, Toyota does have the right to force a dealership to do the work!!! It is a leagal issue. By law, dealerships are AGENTS of the manufature, and if there is a warrenty issue the MANUFACTURE and THIER AGENTS are responciple to repair the defect!

Inaddition to calling TV stations, call your state attourny general. They will get involved! Your argument is THIS: 1) you have not experience the issue as of yet; 2) you found out about the issue after you bought the truck; 3) you learned about the problem from many people who have had problems from an online forum; 4) you need the issue corrected befor you do start to haul weight so there are NO PROBLEMS, BEFOR YOU EXPERIENCE THEM AND ARE STUCK SOMEWHERE (it's a safety issue...are they telling you, you need to first have weight in the bed and break down or lose control and possiblly get into an axcident first befor they do the TSB?) 5) this is delaying you in moving what you need to move; 6) and after all, this IS a truck and you would like to be able to use it as one!

This is the argument you tell the TV stations and the attourny general!!! Either copy what I just wrote on paper, or print it out, this way you have it infront of you when you talk to the stations and the attourny general...you wont have to think about what to say or leaving anything out, you'll have your thoughts already clear about what you want to say and how you want to say it.

Hope this helps!!!

Also....your local congressmen can be a BIG help too. A phone call from them (to the dealership) usually scares the fuck out of them!

2. May 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    Swwacoma

Swwacoma Doomsday Squad

Member:
    Estero, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5.
    Wish I could offer you some hope, but I had a similar issue w/ Toyota (not for the TSB though). I had to return a lease and HQ told me to turn it into the dealership in the city I was currently living in. I go to the dealer and they refuse to take delivery after some back and forth HQ changes up their stance and told me "each dealership can set their own policies". So I had to drive 45 minutes out of my way to go to a different dealership that was more then helpful. Needless to say the Taco wasn't purchased from the first dealership.

I don't know what dealership you are dealing with, but I've noticed the "Family owned" dealerships are much easier to deal with as they actually tend to care about customers and building trust. The more "corporate owned" dealerships (usually the one's that are generically named like "Texas City Toyota" rather then "Germain Toyota") tend to be ran differently and treat customers as expendable.

3. May 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...

when they were Boyle Toyota, they were asshats. Scott Will Toyota is also the place that"hooked my truck to the computers" and there was no update for the tranny even with TSB in hand that showed my VIN qualified. Walked into Gene Reed in Chas and before i could get the issue completely from my mouth, they said no prob and it would be ready in 1 1/2 hrs.

4. May 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I've never had a problem with their service dept... I take my Camry and Tacoma there...

Don't really care for the new Service Manager... when I took my tacoma in there for the battery, he popped the hood and then grabbed the GRILL and LIFTED to get the hood up. Moron, but I like the other guy.

5. May 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I believe the dealers were told to have customers put the weight in the bed to be inspected, in hopes the customer will give up on the idea.

i dought all the different dealers came up with the same idea.

6. May 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Mine didn't have me put weight in my bed. All they had to do was look at my super smooth, shiny bump stops

7. May 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    What is it with SC dealers? Same exact situation with me and Sparks Toyota in MB so don't bother going there, either (I assume you went to Florence Toyota).

So I put weight in it and brought a buddy with me, so there were 3 men weighing about 200lbs each and about 600lbs of rocks in the bed and the dude STILL said he didn't see a problem, even though it bottomed out multiple times during the test ride, and they denied it. This was after multiple calls to Toyota corporate, btw. I just gave up, which is exactly what they wanted it seems.

8. May 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Scott Will did mine... he just wanted to make sure I knew it would "ride rougher" once done. It needed to be done and thankfully he didn't give me a hard time.

9. May 14, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Tacodog

Tacodog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Renton, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD offroad DCSB Cement
    Icon stage 1, Icon upper control arms, 17” Fuel wheels,Ridge Grapplers, TRD exhaust, leather interior.
    Hey your in the south. Get a tarp put in bed fill with water. Redneck hot tub.:D

10. May 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Love the tarp idea :) Y'all, I'm going the quickrete route. I believe my DBL is rated at 1300lb, assuming the tow package doesn't do anything for payload.
    I will put in exactly enough bags to constitute 900lb, or 70% of the rated maximum, and I'll make sure the bump stops will show some visible wear marks.

Depending when I get done tomorrow I'll try it then, or it will be Monday.

11. May 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    I REPEAT!!!!!!!!!
    These dealerships that require "Loading down" the truck must really be getting a laugh out of you guys . Where are you buying your trucks? a bone fide Toyota dealer is required to make these changes. It would be a cold day in He@@ when I would load my truck up and drive to a dealership, And I wouldn't let them load it up either!!! I would make two calls, one to the Dealer and if that didn't work one to Toyota. Come on Guys!!! zip-um-up, these dealers are making a joke of you. Doc

12. May 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Did you read the entire post? I called HQ; they seem to change their mind on a dime as well.

13. May 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Put it in writing as I suggested, I will be surprised if they don't come out and pick up your Truck and give you a loaner, as long as you are just talking they don't have to take any action. And I can assure you Toyota is a customer friendly Co. and will not appreciate how you are being treated!! Your verbal approach is not reaching Toyota. Put it in writing. I had my done with an appointment only, and they thanked me for bringing it in, had they told me to load it up so they could check it, I think I would have fell over laughing, (I am not dissing you!! I am on your side!!!!!)
    But (to me) loading up your truck to prove a point is nothing short of ridiculous, Doc

14. May 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

DAMB STRAIGHT!!! Like I said several comments above #43...call all your TV stations AND the atturny general AND your congressmen and state "do I need to first get into an acident befor this problem is fixed?" And believe me, they will jump to fix the problem. AND you'll be the last customer they fuck with over the TSB!!!

15. May 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Just get about 10-12 bags of bar sand from Home Depot...about a buck 50 each. That should be around 600-750 lbs if 60-65 lb bags. Your truck should look real saggy...and bottom on any bump on the way to the dealer. Go slow.

And make it even more obvious...be sure to stack 'em behind the tailgate.

If he hums or haws...do the math for him then stand on the bumper and ask him to look at the bump stops...the frame should be right on it. Tell him 'that's a harsh ride, right on the bump stops" then ask him if that's a 1200 lb load...it shouldn't be.

Unless you're Rosanne Barr.

Then you got bigger problems than wondering what you're gonna do with 3/4 ton of bar sand.

Take it back to Home Depot and get your money back. After you made the appointment to get the TSB done.

16. May 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Task: Completed; springs ordered.

However:

I loaded it up with 15x80lb bags of quickrete, adding to 1,200lb of payload. My truck performed beautifully. I couldn't have asked for a more responsive, well behaving truck on the road. Accelerating, braking, cornering; everything was well above what I expected from a truck that is supposed to be lacking in suspension.

I had about half an inch worth of clearance above the stop. During normal driving, accelerating and breaking I noticed nothing wrong. No bumping, no riding on the stop, nothing like that. Frankly it drove like there was no load at all. Sure, the nose was up and the bed was down, but what do you expect at max load?

That said, I found some curbs and took them in ways to make the bed bump. Then I took it to the dealership. They did a test drive, and then asked their master mechanic to take another one. He took that one with me. We drove for a few minutes, and we experienced the same excellent driving characteristics I found on my own. We didn't discuss the issue really. He mentioned that he didn't think the TSB included 2010 models. I corrected him, and he said he would look into it when we got back.

A few minutes later they came back to me and told me they would order the springs, and I should expect a call Wednesday.

Conclusion:
    I think they figured out I would be one of those customers who would not give up, and they just let me have it. Do I need it? Will I ever need it? No, and probably not.
    At this point I am satisfied that my Tacoma came off the assembly line in-line with its specifications for payload. I am getting the spring just for the lift, at this point.

Don't assume all Tacoma's need the TSB. I guess, even if yours qualifies, you might really not need it. Load it up with 1200lb and drive it for a while. You might be surprised.

17. May 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    ^^^^^^ glad to hear that all the headache and stress has paid off. Keep us posted and post some pics of your truck already!:D

18. May 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Glad to hear. My truck drives great with my 500lb quad in the back. That's the heaviest thing I haul so I never bothered with the tsb.

19. May 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    who eats the cost of the tsb? dealership or toyota? I was under the impression that dealers loved warranty work and tsb type work so they could gouge the manufacturer. I took mine in to my dealer told him what I wanted and the manager had never heard of this tsb, I happen to have a copy with me. he verified it and said he would order the parts and call me when they came in. all parts came and I got installed. all is good on my end.

20. May 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I've been in the corporate world all my life, and for the life of me I don't know why they gave me such a hard time. Corporate pays for warranty work, and they even told me they hand these springs out like candy.

It was our regional manager that decided to put this policy in place that requires verification. They claim it's because they won't get paid otherwise. I told them that was flat wrong, but they refused to budge on that.
    Oh well.

I don't do bullshit. That's part of why I decided to visit the dealership after I found my Tacoma to be perfectly able to handle 1200lb.

Products Discussed in

To Top