Notices

Adding more choices to the mud flap no mud flap discussion

Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
18thstlocal is on a distinguished road

Army: 31B 11B
Name: Jason
18thstlocal's Tacoma Gallery
Adding more choices to the mud flap no mud flap discussion

I noticed there is quite a bit of talk about which is better, mud flaps or no mud flaps. But not much discussion aftermarket or modified mudflaps. This is my solution to the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding more choices to the mud flap no mud flap discussion-random-2.jpg   Adding more choices to the mud flap no mud flap discussion-random-4.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
Jason, guys here have been trimming the mudflaps for years. Check the Mods & Tutorials section, and you'll get gobs of other ideas for your truck.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
joeallen88 is on a distinguished road
joeallen88's Tacoma Gallery
Jason, I just bought a 2015 tacoma. Where did you purchase those modified mudflaps? I want some smaller ones for sure and my truck is almost identical to yours, just black not gray.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallen88 View Post
Jason, I just bought a 2015 tacoma. Where did you purchase those modified mudflaps? I want some smaller ones for sure and my truck is almost identical to yours, just black not gray.

Welcome to TW.

Looks to me like he cut his down like most of us who offroad have done over the years.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pool Runner's Tacoma Gallery
The whole idea on the huge stock mudguards, was a result of all the 1st gen & early 2nd gen 2005-2006 complaints of peppered rocker panels and bedsides. Especially in areas where chip-sealing, poor roads, and sand/ salt is used in snowy areas.

If you are cool with having the paint at your rockers and lower bedside chewed up, cut or remove them. Off-road enthusiast probably don't care anyway, as the truck will get chewed and dinged anyway from frequent usage off highway.

But if you like to keep your truck as nice as possible, for as long as possible, and not really into the Off-roading thing, I highly suggest leaving them on and at stock length.

Personally I just wish there was a way to use winged nuts, for a quick removal and re-install after off-road usage. I personally am fairly OCD about my vehicles, so it' not an option to remove them. I did on my old truck, as a try-N-see after adding BFG AT's, but in one day I could hear large rocks hit the rocker on the highway, and had a few new chips and gouges, so they went back on.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
adamr94 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
adamr94's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota has been doing those 4WD/4x4 mudflaps for years (80s). But the problem is, especially after 2005, the material is very thick and doesn't bend. I park somewhere that has a little bit a drop, it's not much at all... but enough to take a mudflap off
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Plasticolor Off Road EZ-Fit 11"x19" Mud Guards

Flexibility testing. It was around 40° F when I took the photos, but I kicked them around at night when it was 10° F with similar results.

I didn't allow for the curvature of the OEM flaps while transferring the holes, so the flaps are canted in a little. I'll correct that later. Another problem is that the fender flares have recesses for the OEM flaps, so I decided to replicate the shape of the OEM flaps by creating standoffs. The problem with that is it leaves a gap behind the Plasticolor flaps, and road swarf flows over the back of the flaps, leaving a bit of a mess.

To anyone wanting to install these, the OEM anchor points accept #14 stainless steel, pan head, sheet metal screws. The screws Plasticolor included are worthless. Each OEM flap has three screw-type anchors that do most of the work, and three plastic trim fasteners that hold the flap tight to the flare. You'll need to determine what screw length you want to use beforehand, as the plastic anchor points have a closed end on the backside. The Plasticolor flaps are too thick for the OEM trim fasteners, so you'll either need to replace them or leave them off. The Plasticolor flaps are made of fiberglass reinforced PVC, and a 5/16" gasket hole punch works perfectly for hole making; I'm not sure how well a drill would work. I used 1/2" PVC pipe for standoff spacers, but I may do away with those.

The Plasticolor flaps are working well enough as they are right now, so I'm not in a hurry to mess with them while the weather is bad. I'll probably remove the standoffs and screw the flaps directly to the flares. Whatever gaps that remain can be filled with a little black caulk on the inside of the fender. I'll post an actual DIY thread when I'm happy with the installation.

I have around USD$60 in total costs, which I think is pretty good. The flaps are plenty flexible; the only problem is cleanly mounting them, and I don't think it'll be hard to set that right.
Two years old; no problems.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Hartford has a spectacular aura aboutHartford has a spectacular aura about
Hartford's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with DoorDing. I go through a couple sets of mudflaps every year, and the best I have found are the plasticolor's with the mountains.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
teamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamcurtis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Curtis
teamcurtis's Tacoma Gallery
the stock ones on the 2015 bend just fine...
but they rub on my 4.5bs wheels with 265/75/16
I am going to try to trim them slightly shorter, but mostly losing some of the inboard portion as that's where mine rub, right at the mounting point
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcurtis View Post
the stock ones on the 2015 bend just fine...
but they rub on my 4.5bs wheels with 265/75/16
I am going to try to trim them slightly shorter, but mostly losing some of the inboard portion as that's where mine rub, right at the mounting point
Unless Toyota changed them from the design they've used for years, they'll get ripped off or shattered when driving offroad. They have some flex, but an impact from directly below will destroy them.