1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery replacement... Odyssey and Optima... thoughts and questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DevL, May 15, 2010.

1. May 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I am going to upgrade my battery and the two most common options are Odyssey and Optima Deep Cycle. From what I can tell both batteries use the same technology. Both are AGM batteries. I have seen some references to "gell cell" with Optima. For sure the Optima deep cycle Blue and Yellow tops are AGM, same as Odyssey.

That said the Optima winds up the mats in a spiral, ending up with a tube shape and Odyssey presses them into a brick. The Odyssey puts more material into the same footprint. Optima wastes a bit of space since 6 tubes leaves empty space around them vs more of a cube shape. Odyssey; therefore, is a larger and heavier battery. If you got an Optima that was heavier it has more capacity than the Odyssey. Essentially, I see them as basically the same as far as technology and power/capacity vs weight. Obyssey wins the 34 to 34 size comparison because it is got more material and is heavier, not some super technological advanacement.

Optima is cheaper and has a shorter warranty. Its a trade off to me and one is not clearly superior to the other. The Optima has a cleaner looking install with the battery plate on the bottom. I am not decided on which one I will get at this point.

My questions are as follows. Can you pull the posts on a Marine battery and replace the skinny posts with standard automotive posts? If not, is there some sort of adaptor that can be fitted to increase diameter to standard auto post size on those terminals? I see what appears to be alternate spots for posts to screw into in some dual top batteries (the ones with extra mounts on the sides) what fits on the side mounts? Does a full on post go in or is it just for the flat ring type attachemnts or what? I am wanting to get a complete, seperate post option so I can mount all aftermarket items on posts seperate from the factory wires. It would just make life simpler. Also if it were full sized posts that would low a host of aftermarket items to fit, thus why I want the full sized second posts.

What I can do as far as locating the factory wiring will probably make my choice between Odyssey and Optima. Just need help on what can be done with the side and marine mounting terminals, which I am not familiar with.

2. May 15, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    I went with the Diehard Platnum cost me around $212, I had to modify my mount. The Warranty is what sold me....I mean if you can't back it up what the heck.... Only had if 6mnths. Mine sits out alot, been out 3mnths now, no cranking....Hope it works when I get back to States......

And oh, then diehard platinum is an Odyssy. You will have to search how, why......

good luck

3. May 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Yep, go with the Diehard Plat. same battery, less money.

4. May 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    yes, I just went with the die hard platinum marine grade...i have a pro max starter which allowed me to lengthen my positive connector cable without actually having lengthen it. It also gave me 4 terminals instead of two which I liked because I have a lot of accessories I've attached. They do however make a die hard platinum with reverse terminals that will fit perfectly in your truck. You may have get a battery spacer, I did. I actually went to target and bout those 'puzzel piece' floor mats for lifting equipment. I took the white plastic tray from underneath the battery, used that as a pattern, cut out two piece of that shape/size. Glued them together, stuck it under the battery, and it was the perfect heigth. I'd be happy to take a picture of what im talking about if you want to see, some people also just use like plywood which i suppose also works. I liked the idea of having a slightly cushioned rubber mat under mine though.

5. May 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    Hey Jones, great idea, can't figure out why I didn't think of that..... I bought a longer + connection cable and used it.
    Be careful on that cushion mat under the batter, over time i may compress and leave you with a loose battery....

Regards

6. May 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA

Yeah, that was the one thing i was afraid i was going to run into...so what i did i made it real thick, and then cracked the holder down. I've been checking it fairly regularly and its still good. When i go to undo the holder, it pushed it back up so I think I should be good...at least for now haha.

Speaking of batteries and the like...does anyone reccomend any kind of aftermarket alternator thats massively huge...like...im talking about the biggest one that will fit as a 'drop-in'. I'm looking to add some pretty big lights and such with a light bar, I know the battery can certainly handle it, but im kinda worrried about my stock alternator. i do not have the bigger one that came with the towing package. Thanks everyone!:D

7. May 20, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    Ditto, I did the same. I only had to replace a positive cable coming off the fuse box. Easy fix.

battery 1.jpg

8. May 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Shack

Shack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Chester, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bilstein 5100-Front (1.75"), Pop N' Lock Tailgate, Rear Leaf TSB MR. Marv custom box and amp rack, JL 13TW-5, Memphis Audio Amps and Door Speaker, JVC DVD DD HU, Wet Okole, Weathertech Mats, Bed Mat
    I use Odyssey batteries for my trucks and atvs. They are great!

Products Discussed in

To Top