1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible stereo upgrade suggestions? Need feedback!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TorenApart, May 21, 2008.

1. May 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Hey Guys
    So I am new to this forum and Toyota Trucks, but so far I love both! Here is what I got

[​IMG]

In my old car (Explorer) I had a big stereo, and to now have the non JBL system in my 2006 DoubleCab, I am itching to get a new setup. Not calling myself an expert by any means, I have compiled what I believe would be a modest, yet hopefully good sounding assortment of stereo modifications and was hoping I could get some feedback based on everyone's expertise. So far, this is what I am thinking:

So my main concerns are with the head unit quality and the sub/box combination. I've never owned a Pioneer head unit and haven't known many who have. The deck received positive reviews on Crutchfield, which is usually enough to sell me. Plus it is cheaper than the Kenwood 7100.

With regards to the Subs/Box, I don't want a system that makes me want more. I love a full and powerful sounds, but I am a musician and want to hear music like it was meant to be heard... with some extra punch when I want.

Finally, as for an amplifier, I want to get something new that will make these speakers sound great. I am not picky about brand but I also believe you get what you pay for so I am leaning towards JL, Kicker, or JBL. Any Recommendations?

What do you all think of that setup? Do you see any compatibility issues? I usually have all my installs done at Best Buy here in Kansas City, but is this the kind of install I could do with guidance?

Thanks in advance for advice anyone has!

PS~ Anyone from Kansas City?

2. May 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I'd help you out if I could, but I know absolutely nothing about car audio.

3. May 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    i've been an installer for about 16 years and have found that simplicity in the tacoma double cab is the way to go. i just replaced my 2 alpine v12 amps with their new pdx-5 5 channel amp which is small enough to fit under the seat and has plenty of power to run your system; 75x4 to your doors and 300x1 to some subs. i chose alpine type-r components in the front door and type-r coax's in the rear. for the sub i went with the jl audio stealthbox because i get it for cost and i didn't feel like doing the fiberglass work myself (never enough time.) for the headunit i have the ida-x001 which i will be replacing soon with the w505 when funds are ready.

hope this helps you out.

4. May 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    hey dude. i got a pioneer head unit in my double cab. and 2 Diamond 10's behind the seat. the only prob. with the subs is u have to go pretty custom to get any back there. there are a few companys that sell boxes that fit back there but they wouldnt hold my subs so i had to get some built. but i installed the head unit and ran all the wiring to the back for amp and subs. i also put in the ipod interface for the head unit which is also a breaze. if you get that scosche kit for the radio you'll be set to go. if you have any experience with simple wiring and such you'll be fine.

5. May 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Thanks guys!
    Both very helpful!!

6. May 22, 2008 at 2:28 AM
    glk21c

glk21c Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Torenapart, what rims are those on your truck? They are sharp looking.

7. May 22, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man, they are 18'' Ion, style 138. I like them a lot but will probably put something bigger/newer in the not too distant future.

Products Discussed in

To Top