1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help fast

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flightcancled, May 16, 2010.

1. May 16, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Ok, I am installing my front 5100s and all was going well until I hit a major road block.

I am at the point where I have compressed my spring, removed the top nut and now I am SOL. The washer under the nut won't budge! I tried everything I can think of including loosening the coil compressor to try and force it off. I am stuck. It won't come off even without the coil compressor on.

What do I do?

2. May 16, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Try PB blaster?

3. May 16, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Some PB Blaster and a BFH. Just be careful.

4. May 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would definitely re-comepress the coil, and attempt to remove the washer without any force from the coil. Way too dangerous if it suddenly comes loose.

5. May 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    xKazeex

xKazeex Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner TRD BC LB Magnetic gray
    Dremel it off.

6. May 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    That is a terrible idea.

By the time I got back to the shop after posting this the coil sitting uncompressed had shot it off. The coil was in the same place with the strut 6" back and the washer assembly 18" in front of it. My GF was there and didn't even notice it happen. As I suspected there is barely any force on the spring at rest.

Of course now I have worked my way to the other side and have the same issue all over again!:smash:

7. May 17, 2010 at 2:40 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    For future refference if this happens to someone else I wound up removing the compressors and giving the shock a solid wack into the concrete floor threaded end first. This was enough to kick loose the washer and spring. Seems scary, but the shock will only recoil about 1 foot off the ground.

8. May 17, 2010 at 5:58 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :eek: I would not have the balls to do that.

Products Discussed in

To Top