1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

factory roof rack help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by colinb17, May 21, 2008.

1. May 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    just wondering if anyone knows the dimensions of the factory roof rack...dimensions like: distance between the two bars(not when stowed), the width of the crossbar(not from one end to the other, but front to back), and lastly, the thickness of the bars. i appreciate any help. this stuff is impossible to find online.

2. May 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. May 22, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    ok, so i have cleared up two of the questions i had. now i only need to know how far appart the two crossbars are on the factory rack, while they are not stowed. any help is great! i even called the dealer and they couldn't go out and measure one for me because they only put racks on the trucks after someone has baught the truck and wants a rack.

4. May 22, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    I am actually going to stay away from the "factory bars" and get a thule or yakima to mount on either my snugtop shell or on the Tacoma's cab. I called Toyota and got info that the factory bars can only hold 60 lbs.. Not even 2 kayaks..

5. May 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    what kind are you looking at? i just don't like the one that clips in at the door, because last time i had one of those it rubbed the paint off, even with the rubber pads.

6. May 22, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Actually going to go down to the kayak shop after work and talk things over. The guy did suggest the clip in model, and when I said I didn't want that, he asked why. I said it was for astetics and he agreed.. I am looking at either Thule or Yakima and trying to utilize the channels that are on the D-cab for a track of some sort. I do like the "look" of having the racks on the shell, but price will play a role as I haul kayaks maybe every 2-4 months...(nothing serious).. A Snugtop dealer here quoted me between $415 and $465 (installed) for the thule system on top of the shell.. I am also thinking of one rail on top of the cab and buying a "goal post" for the hitch.. yes that means you can't bring down the tailgate while in use, but if it is the cheaper way to go.. Like I said I don't use it all that often..

Will post later tonight when I get info from the store..

7. May 22, 2008 at 8:25 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    thanks, that would be great. i have a kayak, but i usually just strap it down in the bed (it's not a nice wooden one that can get damaged like that)i wish i had one like that. but anyways, let me know what you find out about roof racks. i'm more interested in that because i have to for my bikes

8. May 22, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    dsds

dsds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    I looked at my Toyota Roof Rack glove box card that's included in the instructions and it said 100 lbs. max.

9. May 23, 2008 at 1:13 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Options just got really low.. The kayak guy told me about the "factory" rails, and that (to his knowledge) toyota will not mount one if not ordered direct from the factory. This is because of the way that it is mounted and the prep and clean-up of the drilling areas to warranty against rust and such.
    Here are my options for a tacoma D-cab L-bed (with snugtop shell)
    1. Channel mounts - in the door
    2. Attach a fixed point rail or attach a rail to the cab (not suggested by the store)
    3. Fixed point or track system mounted on the camper.
    4. Having one rail somewhere on the truck/shell, and using a "goal post" attached to the trailer hitch to act as the second rail..

Seems like I am going to go with #3. I will pay a little more to go with the track system to give me a little more flexability...

If you have an open bed, I do like the thule Xsporter. Just took it off my truck when I got the shell. With the short-bed you may not be able to bring down the front all the way... most people I see just take the crossbar out when not in use..

10. May 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    On my last truck, I had a track system on my cap like the one you are talking about which worked great for my kayaks.

On the tacoma DC, I mounted XT towers w/ crossbars & added a fairing. I keep the rack system up year round & have had no issues even on many long distance trips. It works great for the size & types of kayaks I use.

What kind of kayaks do you have & what hull attachments you plan on using? With the J-Hulls I can sandwich 3 12' kayaks up there, but usually its just two of them like in the pic. The hull attachments come off when not needed. Post some pics of your set-up when complete.

IMG_1291_7651fdb53edcbebfcd065d127af6eebf41df0f85.jpg

IMG_1174_5c4cac7cc1a80b7340d1d319dd06bdb3eab36fef.jpg

11. May 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    xedge, those pictures are great. i just came back from the store with a brand new rack for my 07 dc. i looked at your pictures, and it looks like i got the same thing as you (minus the kayaks). how do you like the fairing? was the wind noise bad without it/did it cut the noise down much? i haven't driven the truck yet with the rack on.

12. May 24, 2008 at 4:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    The rack makes no noise at all with the fairing. It costs like $50 bucks but is worth imo. The whole system has withstood the Vermont winter & many touchless carwashes :D. No noise either. Also, I put a tape over the empty lock cylinder socket above my driver door (electical tape) because I do not have the lock option and the spot did whistle slightly. The tape stopped that too.

Did you get the track system and cab towers or what? Post some pics, I love this rack setup big time.

13. May 24, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Um, The factory rack is a direct bolt on application. There are no holes to drill. Check with your local Toyota Parts department for questions on how it mounts. :)

14. May 24, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Chris4x4... thanks for the info.. was going off what one of the sales people told me at the store.. Didn't lift up that rubber molding on top of the cab to see what is under there..

Has anyone lifted up the rubber and see holes?

I do like the look of the shell mounted though..

Edge.. We are in the market to buy a 2 man cobra or scrambler, and up to now rent maybe every 2-3 months..

How long have you had the gutter mount? How is the rubbing?

15. May 25, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Been mounted on the truck for over a year with no rubbing issues. I clayed, polished & waxed the mounting area & made sure the rubber tower feet were clean by using a product called Just Once which is like 303. I do an inspection everytime I put anything up there plus check the tower tension regularly. I do know what you mean for I had the same set up on an older tacoma that I took off and on & it rubbed horribly. That is why I just keep it up there.

They do compress your weatherstripping inside the door but nothing has leaked for over a year in any of the 4 doors.

I do know over at Toyota Nation or maybe it was here where a member pulled up the rubber strips and mounted yakima towers I believe to the factory holes. I really didn't want to go that route or the factory rack so my trade off was the Thule setup. I am very happy
    with it.

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that the XT towers actually have a litte lip on them that fit nicely into the factory strip rubber channel on top which hold the tower much more secure than more old tower setup. Its not like the tower is just sitting flush on the roof. The channel gives it a much more secure feeling if that makes sense to ya.

16. May 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I got the exact same system you have, just without the fairing. i did some highway driving yesterday and today though, and the noise was prety loud. loud enough to almost drown out my flowmaster (which is not a good thing), so it looks like i'll be buying a fairing soon. it once i get my final bike rack and everything set up on it i'll post some pics.

17. Mar 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    Freeriderz

Freeriderz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma & 1991 Truck 4x4
    rev tek 3" lift, extra leaf in rear
    OEM rack kept in the stowed position with Yakima Railgrab towers is awesome! This is an old post but let me know if you want pictures

Products Discussed in

To Top