1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Talk me into the spring TSB.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Orion, May 17, 2010.

1. May 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My truck had 48k on it when I got it. The ride sucked ass empty & the ride sucked even more when loaded. Going around freeway interchange ramps or pretty much any curve doing over 15 was skittery wavy gravy body rollin bullshit without any load in it. Any load at all and everything was stupid feeling. Enjoy your fresh leafs then when the honeymoon is over, you're past warranty & wanna start using the truck like a truck then you'll wish you had done the TSB. As was stated...go gitcha some TSB leafs, shocks and alignment for free then if for some odd reason you don't like it then you can make money off of people like me that would love to have the right parts that should've been there to begin with. All those justifying the company's business model as an acceptable practice, send me 100.00 now because Toyota said so. :D

2. May 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Since I'm new here, I have a few questions.

Are the new shocks the 5100s? (probably too good to be true)

Is it only the rear shocks?

Does the back end up looking even higher than the front after the TSB?

3. May 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    True perhaps, but a new complete spring set is different then a AAL.
    It was over $2000 for the new spring sets, TRD factory bilsteins, alignment, etc. installed by the dealer with this TSB on a non TRD model.

4. May 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    -Not 5100s
    -All shocks (unless you have a TRD... then they don't replace the shocks at all)
    -The back is raised by the TSB.. it settles a bit, but mine's been 6 months and it's still higher than the front.

FWIW, I know you're new, but there is a TON of info on this particular TSB if you search and read a bit.

5. May 17, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Thanks for the input. And yeah, I know there's a ton of info on here, and it's great. I have searched for the answers, but sometimes more is not always better when you're just looking for a simple answer to a simple question.

Thanks again, TW is awesome!

6. May 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    To me it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I want the extra strength the new TSB springs afford. It should be an option at purchase time, rather than if you find out and want it, then we'll do it. For what we pay it should be included from the get go. If not, then reduce the price! It has to be a cost cutting measure for Toyota not to include it. My question is whether or not they, at one point in time, will do away with offering this upgrade irregardless of warranty? I'm very glad to have mine done.

7. May 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Question: Is your truck lifted or has oversized tires? Mine doesn't act like at all. It's very tight. As a matter of fact a friend of mine borrowed it to haul some stuff from Home Depot home. He couldn't believe how nice it went around corners on the freeway. He said it was smoother than his BMW X5, which I find hard to believe. I am pure stock right now on my TRD OR.

8. May 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Who said anything about acceptable?

But I'd probably do the same if I was Toyota's Tacoma product line manager...it's all about getting market share.

9. May 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    It's not as much cost cutting as it is being able to get good reviews for "nice ride" unloaded. No one tests drive it loaded with 800lbs of stuff. I can't imagine it costing too much to have 4 leafs instead of 3. Keep in mind, 90% of tacoma users will never haul anything other than their camping/outdoors gear. The TSB only applies to Prerunners and 4x4s also. If you need a work truck, Toyota probably figures you are more likely to get a base regular cab model.

Also, irregardless is not a word.

10. May 17, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I'm starting to think there's a huge difference in ride quality between TRD models and the base models. Mine is a TRd OR and it rides like a dream as well.

11. May 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I just went through an ordeal where I didn't actually found anything wrong with my TRD Sport, but wanted to TSB. My dealership wanted to verify everything was ok, so I borrowed 1200lb of concrete mix and drove it to the dealership.
    While driving it handled excellent. I was surprised how easily it cornered, accelerated and handled the brake. Do I need the TSB? Hell no.

They offered to order the springs because I asked them to (basically). I'm now just doing it for the lift it gives. Check your ride: you may simply not need it like me.

12. May 18, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Don't TRD's come with bilstein shocks? I'm pretty sure the TSB doesn't cover replacing shocks on TRD's and they provide the "ride control".

13. May 18, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    JimKellyfan

JimKellyfan Active Member

Member:
    da South
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5 2.something
    ARE LSII Tonneau cover
    I would do it, as it is a TSB for a reason.
    First off, I want everything I can get for free, of course.
    After all, we did pay for our Tacos.
    Then, going behind Toyota's " curtain ", there is probably a major safety concern behind it.
    That is my opinion.
    I don't have to drive your truck, I drive mine, just wanted to add my 2 cents to help.

14. May 18, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Thanks for the lesson in grammar. The interesting thing it that most people have not experienced a more harsh ride even unloaded with the added TSB leaf spring. Myself included. I do agree that most will only use for camping and light hauling. Mine however bottomed out with a light trailer and a couple of four wheelers in tow. Even those who do not haul heavy loads may still want to consider the TSB for the occasional cleaning out the garage or helping a friend move. Hey, it's your truck and if your happier without having the TSB done, then more power to "ya". BTW "ya" is not a word either. FWIW

15. May 18, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My truck had 18' rims with 285/60/18 NTGs when I got it but no lift. Had the base model Tokicos all around. Before anyone starts with the that's why......I put TRD Bilsteins on it before lifting and they made no difference in how shitty the rear acted. After doing 5100s at 2.5 and adding the Toytec 1.5 AAL it felt magically better.......and still feels great.

That's the short-term business model...make all you can in every aspect of the business at consumer's expense then fail/bail. It's not all about GETTING market share. Successful long-term business KEEPS market share by treating customers as future money while providing quality that will bring people back, not run them off after annoying bullshit corner cutting greedy shortsighted nonsense...can only ride on past rep for so long doing shit that way. How far does Toyota really expect to go with this? Won't get away with it like the big 3 did, people done been edumacated from all that crap. We demands quality and safety and longevity.:D

16. May 18, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    JimKellyfan

Member:
    da South
    Vehicle:
    ARE LSII Tonneau cover
    I had 80 miles on it, and had around 2k in the bed, because I didn't want to make multiple trips. The truck did fine, the tires and brakes hated it. I drove real slow, and regret it. And my Taco isn't an issue, but I wish it was, I want heavier duty springs, shocks/struts and tires on mine. And for free too. Again, I believe there were some safety concerns at the helm of this.

17. May 18, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Bullshit is a word and irregardless is a word........

ir·re·gard·less

   /ˌɪr[​IMG]ɪˈgɑrd[​IMG]lɪs/ Show Spelled[ir-i-gahrd-lis]

–adverbNonstandard.

Origin:
    1910–15; ir-2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless

Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

18. May 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think you miss the point: it's the soccer mom's and softball dads they are more concerned about bailing. That's the far bigger market who are far less likely to look for solutions to make their vehicles more to their liking for arguably extreme uses, i.e., they don't do mods. And if you think I'm wrong: just look at how many people in this forum, a backwater of enthusiasts for extreme uses, are STILL content with the ride of the un-TSB'd setup.

I don't think anyone has claimed the current spring setup is 'low quality', or unsafe, or lacks longevity.

19. May 18, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    JimKellyfan

Member:
    da South
    Vehicle:
    ARE LSII Tonneau cover
    I banned myself from too many mods until I am outta warranty.

That said, I will do the fog lights asap, Polk Audio speakers asap, a real radio asap.

After 3 yr/36k, better tires possibly a different size, Cherry Bomb Vortec muffler or two, some type of ram air set up

The whole reason I got the Caprice wagon was to have something to mod keeping me busy until we wore out the warranty on the Taco, of which I may end up trading in and up to the mac daddy 4wd dbl cab long bed soon, and before mod 1 goes about.
    Besides the tonneau of course.

20. May 18, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Not missing the point. Sheeple that don't care about anything other than putting gas in it and wouldn't notice the difference anyway are who companies target in this fashion and agreeably are the vast majority. That doesn't justify the practice. People have their own opinions of this practice, how their own truck rides and they are welcome to them. IMO, flat and backwards arched lame ass leafs are low quality for this vehicle, are unsafe in certain driving conditions & haven't lasted like they should. Glad you're happy with yours...Enjoy.

Products Discussed in

To Top