1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for selling car to CarMax to buy Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Greg337, May 20, 2010.

1. May 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Greg337

Greg337 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi everyone. I plan to sell my VW to CarMax after reading positive experiences here on TW. I am wondering if anyone has any helpful pointers for me before I head in there tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Here is what I am selling.
    desktoppic2_45fdb29fea80334bdd29041919dac9b46c894045.jpg

2. May 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    get the Kelly blue book value of your car and work off that when comparing it with the carmax offer.

3. May 21, 2010 at 4:07 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    You will be better off selling your car on CL. There is a chance Car Max will not take the car or low-ball because of the mods you've done to it. Most dealerships like Car Max like their cars plain so it appeals to the masses. Your car will limit their selling demographics to a certain age group. I traded a car to Carmax a few yrs ago and they offered to pay me $1000 more if I would put the stock wheels back on. How about trading yours for a nice '93 4 dr civic w/210K miles, new 13" tires, no PW, No PL ? I will even install a satoshi grille and throw in a bull bar I have laying around off my Tacoma?(professional welder's install recommended)

4. May 21, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XQ
    I would go to CarMax, see what they offered me and then post the car on Craigslist and see if I could get any hits. The CarMax offer is good for so many days. I would also see what deal I could work trading the car in on a Tacoma.

5. May 21, 2010 at 4:42 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My advice- Don't.

You seems like you've put a bit of work and/or money into your car. You won't get any of that money back. Try to find a private sale for a little bit and see what happens- then consider trading in.

You don't need to rush to get a new car because you have one now...so give it a shot and see what happens.

6. May 21, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    x2

I just traded with a local dealer who works the same as carmax...they go by KBB and gave me a high private sale value as base because it was in good general condition, then deducted for some very specific cosmetic defects they'd have to fix (a scratch on the hood) and for detailing it. The salesman, before giving it to their estimator, even asked me if there was anything I wanted to take off that wasn't stock because they won't give value for it. It was still well above average wholesale, the usual for a dealer's offer, but if I had money in it for coil-overs and wheels it would never have covered it.

7. May 21, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    how much are you looking to get for the VW..??

8. May 21, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    Is that a 337?

9. May 21, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Get a quote from Carmax and than try to get more elsewhere. CL/eBay/FrontYardSale/
    :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    I traded in my 99 f150 for 3,500 bucks at carmax. Needing a new rear diff, body work all f'd up and interior trashed never mind the aftermarket exhaust and the 150k miles. i was happy as hell to get that much. I think KBB for perfect condition was like 5k.

11. May 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    Greg337

Greg337 [OP] Member

Member:
    I spoke to the Toyota dealership last night about a trade-in offer. They offered me $6k. The private party excellent condition amount from Blue Book is $9.5k. I didn't even try to haggle since there was such a difference between the two amounts and just told them no. Hell, the trade-in value on Blue Book in poor condition is more than they offered me for the car.

It is a 337 edition with 47k miles that I bought new in 2002. The only thing that isn't stock on the car is the custom stuff like debadging and spoiler removal. It has been a great car but my needs from a vehicle have changed and a Tacoma suites my needs much better now.

12. May 21, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Greg,
    How about listing it on some VW forums? With the mods you have done a dealer is just going to give you a low ball wholesale price.

13. May 21, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    I agree with not selling at CarMax. The modifications you've done will not add any value. It would probably end up at auction anyway.

Either sell it on Craigslist or get it back to stock. You may even be better off trading at a Dealership since you will have more power over the negotiation process. When I traded in my 05 Civic (Stock) for my Tacoma, I was able to get $1500 over CarMax's offer.

I would also advise not buying a vehicle from CarMax. Regardless of the inspection process they tell you about, they aren't. You'd be better off finding a certified used or similar at a Toyota dealer.

14. May 21, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    I didn't notice your user name. ;)

Dealers tend to go with the "black book" rather than the KBB. Your best bet would be to try and sell it on the VW Vortex or something like that. Where are you located?

15. May 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    Justin723

Justin723 Dont judge me

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Performance- bored .20 over, Doug Thorely Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and K&N cold air intake. Exterior- Trail Gear Solid Axle Swap, ARB compressor, high pinion 4.88 with ARB locker, 4.88 TRD Locker in the rear. Interior- 2 10inch JL W1 subs, Alpine MRX-V70 amp, Alpine type R SPR 17C 6x6 speaker in the back, Focal 165 VR with crossover tweeter up front, and Weather Tech floor mats.
    Dont rush on getting a Tacoma you have all the time in the world. Just play around on some other sites as people have been suggesting and go from there. Trust me Tacomas will be around for a while.

16. May 21, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    The only benifit of trading it in at the dealership you plan on buying the Tacoma at is you pay less in sales tax.

Just thinking from a buyers stand point your car is just about to be 9 years old. You might see if the dealership will come up on the trade in value.

17. May 21, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Oh, and of course the dealership is going to low-ball you on the trade in. They are in the business of making money. You'll have to negotiate.

18. May 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    As someone else said...don't. Carmax offered me something around half of what I actually ended up selling my last car for. Sell it on craigslist.

Also...see what NADA values it at...they seem to have the most accurate pricing out there.

19. May 21, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I never understood why people trade cars in when you can get a few thousand more selling it on your own private party. Just throwing away money IMO. Just put it on craigslist. I sold my last car in two days on craigslist and got exactly what I wanted for it. Set a price you want for it (obviously make sure its reasonable) and don't budge. Don't let them talk you down. Just stand your ground and make your listing very clear on craigslist that you are firm on the price. I usually put something along these lines in my list in CAPS.

"I WANT $3,000 CASH. THE PRICE IS FIRM. DO NOT OFFER ME ANYTHING LESS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY 3,000 THEN DONT BOTHER CALLING ME"

I'm always firm on the price of anything I sell on craigslist. But I still get a few jackasses who lowball me.

20. May 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Be careful with Carmax. They made me a $2500 offer on my 99 Durango and I didn't bite. I went back after the two week/300 mi. grace period (with 25 more miles on odometer) and they dropped it to $2000. Moral is, if you're happy with their initial offer, take advantage of it before the grace period.

Products Discussed in

To Top