Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Owner - hearing a noise and feeling it

Old 05-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
dtc81 is on a distinguished road
dtc81's Tacoma Gallery
New Owner - hearing a noise and feeling it

Just bought my truck a few weeks ago and as usually I am hearing things and trying to figure out if it is normal or not. This is my first Toyota and I assume it is, but would like to know what it is. I have a '08 double car and it is automatic transmission.

Here I go trying to describe it. I notice it most when I back up in reverse and then stop and wait 1 sec and then shift to drive. I get this weird noise and I can actually feel whatever is adjusting with my foot on the accelerator. Sounds like something is unwinding. I have also noticed it when I start it up and just drive off in drive. But I do not notice it when I come to a stop sign and then start up again. Has something to do when I turn the truck on or when I am in reverse. Hope you guys can help explain this and I hope it is normal.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc81 View Post
Just bought my truck a few weeks ago and as usually I am hearing things and trying to figure out if it is normal or not. This is my first Toyota and I assume it is, but would like to know what it is. I have a '08 double car and it is automatic transmission.

Here I go trying to describe it. I notice it most when I back up in reverse and then stop and wait 1 sec and then shift to drive. I get this weird noise and I can actually feel whatever is adjusting with my foot on the accelerator. Sounds like something is unwinding. I have also noticed it when I start it up and just drive off in drive. But I do not notice it when I come to a stop sign and then start up again. Has something to do when I turn the truck on or when I am in reverse. Hope you guys can help explain this and I hope it is normal.

Thanks for the help.
sounds to me like the torque converter is locking/unlocking....which is normal. and if you hear a sound kind of like letting air out of a tire...its an abs check....which is normal also. hope this helps!!

oh yeah..........welcome to tacomaworld!! enjoy the forum!
Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. All systems normal. The noise will eventually go away as the vehicle breaks in.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
I've described it as my trucks stomach growling and feel it in the gas pedal as well......Noticed it when the truck was brand new,does it every day and wrote it off as a Tacoma trait....Enjoy your new truck.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, bud... did you ever get this resolved? Did the noise go away?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
dtc81 is on a distinguished road
dtc81's Tacoma Gallery
No - I still have the noise. 18 months old now but I think it is just the ABS system.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
very common. sounds like the power steering pump taking a stretch..i can time it perfectly now with my truck. my wife and i can mimic the noise, and sync it perfecty with the truck.