1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My rear leaf TSB experience (2010 4dr Longbed TRD Sport)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaredpa28, May 21, 2010.

1. May 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    jaredpa28

jaredpa28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    1.Weathertec front and rear 2.Front windows tinted to match. (23%)? 3. Rear TSB 4. TOYTEC coil overs up front and Bilstein 5100's front and rear. 5. Sway bar relocate 6.Front diff drop kit 7. Skid plate drop kit 8.Light Racing UCA's 9. 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT 10. backup camera mod. 11. wildernest 12. "yellow wire" mod
    I first did alot of reading on this site. Thanks to all who have contributed. I also had to consider what lift i was going to go with. I chose the toytec ultimate lift with rear tsb AAL and LR UCA's. I am going to run 265/70/17 on stock wheels so i dont need too much lift. i am going to start out with just the TSB springs and level it out with the front coil overs and see how it looks/functions then add the AAL if need be.

Anyway, i called the dealership (boulder toyota) on day 1. i got a hold of the service dept and told them that i was hauling about 640 Lbs (8 x 80 LB bags) of concrete (total lie) and that i felt it bottom out a few times on my way home. i then said that i had done some research on the issue and came acroos a TSB for it. Thank you tacoma world. he said that there was a TSB but it didnt cover the 2010's. i politely said that there was a revision jan 4, 2010 and that they are now covered. i gave him the TSB number (TSB 0305-08) and he looked it up while i waited. he said "looks like your right". and told me to bring it in for an inspection. i scheduled it for a few days later.

Before i brought it in for the appointment i had a couple friends get in the back and jump up and down so as to actually bottom it out. i figured this would give some evidence that it was actually bottoming out. then i went to the appointment.

When i arrived i went up to the service desk and told him i was here. the guy said looks like your a week early. i thought "damn, i'm screwed". but to my surprise he said not to worry, we will get you in any way. Nice! He brought up my paperwork and saw what i was there for. he read it and said "the 2010's aren't covered". i brought out the printed TSB with the important stuff highlited and showed him they were. he said " well looks like you right". he warned me that it would stiffen the back up alot and i told him thats fine because i need to actually use it as a truck, wich i really do. He said it would take a few days and that they would need to keep it. i wasn't prepared for this and asked if i could have a loarner. he told me they have a shuttle and i said fine. i took the shuttle home.

The next mourning about 9:45 i got a call from the dealer. he said "your truck has new leafs and a front end alignment, it's ready to go". i told him how pleased i was and i'd be down to pick it up. i showed up a couple hours later and he gave me the keys, i signed the invoice (all charged to toyota) and drove off.

This is what the invoice had on it:
    2 rear leaf springs
    4 u-bolts
    2 bump stops
    alignment

On the way home i could notice that it was indeed a bit stiffer but not bad at all, actually more happy with the ride. i could also tell that it was taller. Wich is also good cause i am not initially planning to put on the TSB AAL from toytec.

I measured and took pictures before and after. here you go....

fr left before 34 3/4" after 34 3/4" fr right before 35 after 35
    bk left 36 1/4" 37 3/8" bk right 36 1/2 37 1/2"
    Back left difference 1 1/8" back right difference 1"

Here are the pics
    Before:

[​IMG]

After: (also notice the front windows tinted to match the back)

[​IMG]

So there you have it. i have to say that boulder toyota has been nice to deal with so far and that it pays to be educated on the issue and also to have the TSB in hand when you go. i dont know if having my friends in the back helped or not but it didnt hurt. i did see the imprint of the bump stops on the leaf so i'm sure they saw it too. hope this helps someone else.

Next step: go pick up the toytec lift!!!!!
    cheers

2. May 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    PatrickJW

PatrickJW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Rural Maine USA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD off road/towing package
    Just begining, doing some research having some fun!!
    When I called to get my 2010 access cab SR5 TRD in for it's 5000k oil change & brake adjust etc, I mentioned the TSB to the service guy. He looked it up, I had my copy in front of me & we compared notes. Dropped it off Weds picked it up today, done no questions asked. They could not have been nicer, gave me a 2010 Taco as a loaner for 2 days, discount on a TRD cap, & apologized no end because they had to keep it for 2 days one of their lifts was on the fritz. Cudos to Central Maine Auto Group in Waterville Maine. There are great customer dealerships out there!!!

3. May 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    novadesigns

novadesigns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB 4x4 TRD Sport
    mini antenna... I'm getting to it! Sheesh!
    I like the window tint! Where'd you get that done.

I need to get mine (2009 TRD Sport) done too... I moved recently and it was bottoming out quite a bit.

4. May 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    PatrickJW

PatrickJW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Rural Maine USA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD off road/towing package
    Just begining, doing some research having some fun!!
    My TRD Off Road rides & handles a bit better since I had it done. Have to lift the front end with 5100 Bilstein shocks next, it lifted the rear end about an inch and a half. You should definately get it done!!!

5. May 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition, KDSS
    I'm not certain why dealers seem unwilling to go into the TIS, punch in the VIN, and bring up all applicable TSBs for the vehicle. I had a friend, recently, that had a rusty Tundra frame (2000 model). The dealer said he was shit out of luck. I punched his VIN in on the TIS and bam, it was the first thing that popped up. :rolleyes:

6. May 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think one reason is Toyota doesn't allow them to. TSB's aren't meant to be 'service campaigns' or 'recalls', they have to have a specific customer complaint FIRST. If you just search the TSB's, that would SUGGEST something even if the customer doesn't have a complaint.

Then there's also an argument that says dealers don't want warranty work 'cause it doesn't pay them as well, which would be another reason dealers aren't so hot to search TSB's for you if you're in warranty even if you HAVE a specific complaint. And there's always a risk Toyota could say the dealer didn't follow procedure correctly and refuse to reimburse them, leaving the dealer to carry the total cost of it.

It's not an elegant system at all. And the way dealers pay their mechanics just make it worse...

7. May 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    b4odcmpc

b4odcmpc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 SR5
    My experience with both the trans tsb and the leaf springs has been good over all. Down here in Louisiana, I needed a 4x4 truck, and now that both of these issues are fixed, my wife and I are pleased with our purchase. I must give a big thanks to all involved with Tacoma World, it was this forum that has made all the difference... From the first week of buying this truck with that "gear slipping" trans to just last week when my wife took it in for those 4-leafers, it has been a long road. But now I smile at my super white trd that gets an honest 20 mpg to and from work!

Thanks again, Mike

8. May 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    The rears spring TSB was the best thing for my truck. For those on the fence about having it done will be sorry for not doing it once the springs sag more with age...........

9. May 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    jaredpa28

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:
    1.Weathertec front and rear 2.Front windows tinted to match. (23%)? 3. Rear TSB 4. TOYTEC coil overs up front and Bilstein 5100's front and rear. 5. Sway bar relocate 6.Front diff drop kit 7. Skid plate drop kit 8.Light Racing UCA's 9. 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT 10. backup camera mod. 11. wildernest 12. "yellow wire" mod

A local in longmont did the window tint. i cant remember exactly but the tint was 23% i think?

10. May 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    jaredpa28

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:

i difinatly agree with you. it rides much better.

i picked up the lift a couple days ago. going to install this week or next. i'll post pics

11. May 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    sidewinder

sidewinder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brighton, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Westin oval tube steps, KC light bar, 4 Slimlites, Xpel lens protectors, RedLine QuickLift
    I called Stapp Toyota there off i-25 in longmont, a guy by the name of Clint took the call. He said he had never heard of the issue and wanted me to bring the truck in to look at it. Now this ain't my first rodeo, and generally having a pretty short fuse when it comes to anything stealership, I curtly told him this was a fairly well known issue and I gave him the TSB number (0305-08). I told him I was not interested in having my truck looked at, I was interested in having it fixed. He hemmed and hawed and went into that waste-my-time mode that's so amusing to witness. I thanked him and hung up.

My next call was to Boulder Toyota. Dale answered the phone. I explained my problem and provided the TSB number for him, I drop the truck off next Wednesday!

I love voting with my wallet. My wife's Maxima has 160K on it and she drools over the new 4runner. Hey Clint, guess where we WON'T be looking for a new 4runner? Hey Dale, you just bought yourself a chance to sell a 4runner. Don't screw it up.

Does anyone know for sure if the shocks get swapped out? I see conflicting information.

BTW, I have a Jason topper on my truck, this TSB should bring it back to level. When I load it up with everything else (plus the topper) it really sags and rides rough.

12. May 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    tacodawg

tacodawg Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Benicia, ca
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFF ROAD
    NONE ..just bought it
    I just bought a 07 trd off road with 38k miles. After reading this site I called toyota customer service and they took a report and asked where I get the truck serviced. I told them concord toyota. I explained that it was a certified toyota and a little dissapointed that this was not taken care of. I drove over to my dealer and spoke with him, told him I loaded up my dirt bike and it bottomed out.. real bad harsh ride.. magic words.. I am out of factory warranty but since it was a certified truck they are ordering all the parts and installing.. Very good to deal with.. thanks guys..

Now what is the recomended lift to make the ride height the same in front?? Thanks

13. May 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    copdude33

copdude33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roxboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Tint, bed cover, led high beams, HID low beams, blacked emblems
    Got my new springs today and I can tell you it was worth it. It rides better and looks like a 4x4 now. All together I think the dealer said it was about $2500. They also did a 4 wheel alignment. I damned glad I joined this site otherwise I would have never known about this TSB.

14. May 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    I am getting mine done Tuesday along with the tranny and TRD exhaust..
    I will be taking pictures and measurements

15. May 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I just got mine back. They did it yesterday. Check my gallery for measurement pics. 1.75" taller in the back :)
    Next step: deciding on a 3" lift .. can't make up my mind, and am too scared to pull the trigger lol

16. May 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    jaredpa28

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:
    i have heard stories about stapp. thats why i bought my taco at boulder toyota. so far i am really happy with them

as for the question about shocks, you should already have upgraded shocks. you should only get new springs and an alignment.

thats all i was supposed to get but for some reason they replaced my bump stops.

17. May 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    jaredpa28

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:
    i am putting on the toytec coil over up front and set to 1.75" i'll let you know how it turns out

18. May 29, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    redezman

redezman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Raleigh N.C
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner SR5 4x4
    All Factory for now, LOVE it that way
    went by my dealer today to ask about it,
    the serviced writer said and i quote
    "there is no tsb on the springs"
    i said better guess again, there is...
    He checked and said o that one, then he said i had nothing to worry about because the trucks in this area werent affected.
    again i said guess again, i asked how i could get mine checked, he then said the shop foremen would have to test drive it and if he didnt hear anything its ok.
    i then said whatever, its a feel not a noise.
    this is a dealer in raleigh north carolina, and you all from this area do the math, there is only 2 dealers in the raleigh area, and its not the one on highway 70
    i can see that this dealership wont do it.
    and its only covered for the 3yr/36k warranty

19. May 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    taco G

taco G Well-Known Member

Member:
    van isl bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma sr5 2.7L silver 4x4
    Does this include canada

20. Jun 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    jaredpa28

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    longmont, colorado
    Vehicle:
    If your leaf pack has 3 springs then you truck is affected. try my approach with visual evidence that you are bottoming out

Products Discussed in

To Top