Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wiring/Fuse Help...I'm stuck!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Cracker in a Taco
KnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really nice
Marines: 1st MarDiv
KnurledNut's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Wiring/Fuse Help...I'm stuck!

Ok, here's the scenario...I need to add power to the Sirius radio interface. The specs state I only need 1 amp of power. So I'm trying to tap into the fuse block under the driver's side dash.

There are 4 open fuse slots. I tried testing them but I get nothing, either power on or power off. Then I tried using on of those tiny blade fuse taps on an existing fuse but the damned thing is too big and I don't want to jam it in there and break something.

The driver's kick panel is open as is the fuse block access.

Finding a ground shouldn't be an issue but I need power.

Where's a good spot to find power?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
an add-a-fuse in the Ig1 spot will give you power when the key is turned or the engine is running

EDIT: forgot to mention, the Ig1 fuse is in the inside fuse box, not under the hood
Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Cracker in a Taco
KnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
an add-a-fuse in the Ig1 spot will give you power when the key is turned or the engine is running

EDIT: forgot to mention, the Ig1 fuse is in the inside fuse box, not under the hood
Thanks Collin. I was trying to use the cheaper tap-in blades. I'm off to find a add-a-fuse.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Cracker in a Taco
Quote:

Quick question...

The Sirius power harness already has an inline fuse will I still need the fuse in the add-a-fuse?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if you use an add-a-fuse, you will need to have a fuse in it to complete the circut. you could use two fuses then (it won't hurt anything), or you could cut out the in-line fuse and put the 1 amp fuse in the add-a-fuse. the other option would to be leave the stock in-line fuse and jsut splice into the power supply to the radio, that way your sirius only comes on when your radio does.

if you go the add-a-fuse route, any outoparts store should have them for about $5
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Cracker in a Taco
Quote:
if you use an add-a-fuse, you will need to have a fuse in it to complete the circut. you could use two fuses then (it won't hurt anything), or you could cut out the in-line fuse and put the 1 amp fuse in the add-a-fuse. the other option would to be leave the stock in-line fuse and jsut splice into the power supply to the radio, that way your sirius only comes on when your radio does.

if you go the add-a-fuse route, any outoparts store should have them for about $5
I decided to splice into the radio power supply. Fishing the wires from the HU to under the drivers seat has been loads of fun.

Thanks again.

p.s. it doesn't help that its 95 in the shade....argh!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #7

i hear ya, with 3 sets of lights, air compressor, and aftermarket voltage and amerage guages, i've had my fair share of routing wires...and other than a new head unit, i haven't even begun my sound system
Old 05-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Cracker in a Taco
Quote:
i hear ya, with 3 sets of lights, air compressor, and aftermarket voltage and amerage guages, i've had my fair share of routing wires...and other than a new head unit, i haven't even begun my sound system
Wiring is done. Power works, radio works. But the Sirius unit can't find the antenna. I get a ANTENNA error from the SharkFin adaptor. But, then I hook up the generic magnetic antenna it works. Very weird.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #9

huh, that's odd. unfortunately i know nothing about hooking up satelite antennas. if someone doesn't chime in with some ideas, i'd try to find someone who has one and shoot them a pm
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Use one of these to be safe:

Tap into anything that is 12v switched (only comes on when your truck is on) and try to stay below 15 amps.