Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who is using REDLINE gear oils for their differentials????

Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Question Who is using REDLINE gear oils for their differentials????

What specific kind of redline gear oil and how much ???

Did you have to add LSD additive??
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Gerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud of
Gerry Pope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post

What specific kind of redline gear oil and how much ???

Did you have to add LSD additive??

I used Redline 75W90 in both diffs.. It comes with the LSD additive.
Some have said they had chattering with the Redline but I have had no trouble.. I put MT90 in my tranny and it smoothed out the 1-2 shift.
Good Stuff IMHO

Gerry

Frnt-n-Rear Diffs: Redline 75W90
Frnt..1.5qt Rear 2qts
TransferCase: 1.1 qts 75W90
Tranny: 2 qts RedlineMT90
Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i use redline in the rear diff and in my tranny. been very happy so far!

i think its 3 qrts for the tranny....well my 4 banger manual took 3 idk about the v6 tranny.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
JD2 is on a distinguished road
JD2's Tacoma Gallery
I have Redline 75W90 for LSD's in my front and rear differentials and transfer case. No problems or chatter with my rear LSD, and I didn't have to add any additional friction modifier. Great stuff, and I'll be using it again when it is time to change out the differential and transfer case fluid again.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
there are two formulas. one for LSD, one without. you have to read the bottle. i use it. cant tell the diff, but mentally, i'm happy.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2 View Post
I have Redline 75W90 for LSD's in my front and rear differentials and transfer case. No problems or chatter with my rear LSD, and I didn't have to add any additional friction modifier. Great stuff, and I'll be using it again when it is time to change out the differential and transfer case fluid again.
Did you use the exact same stuff for the Front Diff and Transfer Case that you did with the Rear diff??
Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
So NOOB question. The LSD is only on the sport correct. The SR5 4*4 uses an open differential?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
'09 TRD Sport:

Red Line 75W-90 in front and rear diffs
Red Line MT-90 in the 6 sp trans and the transfer case.

** Red Line recommendations

No problems.

(edit: I specifically asked Red Line about the transfer case and they said they recommended the same in the transfer case as the transmission, especially since they are attached to each other. Any transfer between the two due to a bad seal, etc. won't matter. I do not think there's any problem running the 75W-90 in the transfer case either, however.)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I just swapped out my front diff and transfer case with Redline 75W-90 GL-5 all synthetic gear oil just the other morning. I was going to use it for my rear diff but kept getting positive and negative feedback about using synthetics for the rear so I went with about 3qts. of Valvoline 80W-90 gear oil with 4oz. of the Redline friction modifier. So far no problems or chattering sounds from the rear.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Gear Oil according to the maintenance manual is 75w-85, which redline specifically says it is for use in toyota diff's. Not sure it matters....jus sayin'
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
'09 TRD Sport:

Red Line 75W-90 in front and rear diffs
Red Line MT-90 in the 6 sp trans and the transfer case.

** Red Line recommendations

No problems.

(edit: I specifically asked Red Line about the transfer case and they said they recommended the same in the transfer case as the transmission, especially since they are attached to each other. Any transfer between the two due to a bad seal, etc. won't matter. I do not think there's any problem running the 75W-90 in the transfer case either, however.)
I've heard great things about the MT90 and plan on using it in my 5 speed when the time comes. I hadn't thought of using it in my T-Case, but it makes sense. Good info.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well whoever swaps out there LSD diff oil with the Redline all synthetic, please let us all know what the outcome is. Hell I might just swap mine out with the Redline just to see for myself!!! I still have 3qts. left over in my garage!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Muncy, my sr5 07 4x4 does have LSD rear. Obvious sticker to right of check plug that says LSD fluid only. Just ordered some Redline today and gonna do a temp comparison dino vs synth
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
OK thanks Airun.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
2_wheels is on a distinguished road
2_wheels's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know what the service interval is on transfer cases and tranny? I've got 75k and just wondering if I should do it now. thanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #16
JD2 is on a distinguished road
JD2's Tacoma Gallery
Eesh,

Yes I used the same Redline 75W-90 GL-5 all synthetic gear oil for LSD's in both differentials and the transfer case. It meets the GL-5 rating, and Redline said that it would not be a problem to use the LSD in the transfer case.

So far after 20,000 miles I haven't had any problems at all.......
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #17
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
2 things - uood8 said the manual says to use 75W-85. He's correct, but the 75W-90 is fine too, according to Red Line. I asked them that a few months ago.... and JD2, Red Line also told me the 75W-90 is ok in the transfer case, as you know already. They only said that if the tranny has MT-90 in it, they'd probably run MT-90 in the transfer case as well, since they're attached to each other. No problem either way.

I've been running Red Line stuff in everything for upwards of 10 years. All kinds of vehicles, from Porsches to tractors and generators, 2 Tacomas and an FJ Cruiser. No problems.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2 View Post
Eesh,

Yes I used the same Redline 75W-90 GL-5 all synthetic gear oil for LSD's in both differentials and the transfer case. It meets the GL-5 rating, and Redline said that it would not be a problem to use the LSD in the transfer case.

So far after 20,000 miles I haven't had any problems at all.......
Finally, someone that has used Redline. This is good to know. I will probably go with the Redline all synthetic in my rear diff next time around.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
So NOOB question. The LSD is only on the sport correct. The SR5 4*4 uses an open differential?
Not necessarily.

You could get the LSD (mechanical) as an option on other trucks. In 09 - they stopped putting the mechanical LSD's in and ALL the trucks got the AUTO LSD (which uses the brakes and not the diff)
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP... And also when are you suppose to change the Automatic Transmission Fluid and what kind of Redline do you use for it??? I'm taking it that the Mt-90 is for Manual transmissions?