Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How does OEM roof rack attach to roof?

Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Turdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of light
Turdburglar's Tacoma Gallery
How does OEM roof rack attach to roof?

I'm looking at Toyota's roof racks (the OEM stowable ones) and am wondering how easy/hard it'll be to put them on myself. Have a 2010 DC SB. How do they attach to the roof? Is drilling involved?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Install instructions attached. It should answer all your questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FactoryRoofRackInstall.pdf (181.4 KB, 1124 views)
Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Yota Doc
DocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to all

Name: Brian
DocBrown86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdburglar View Post
I'm looking at Toyota's roof racks (the OEM stowable ones) and am wondering how easy/hard it'll be to put them on myself. Have a 2010 DC SB. How do they attach to the roof? Is drilling involved?
No drilling involved, its pretty easy to do. There are 6 or 8 pre threaded mounts in the roof that hold the OEM rack, held on by torx fasteners.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
How expensive is the roof rack from the dealer?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Captain Funk
techgeekwill has a spectacular aura abouttechgeekwill has a spectacular aura about
techgeekwill's Tacoma Gallery
It's not too badly priced. Check it... http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=3360

I think I'm going to get one.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
erikj83 is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
erikj83's Tacoma Gallery
check on ebay, they are cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...s#ht_697wt_858
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
I will be getting one too
Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Ok well for any one of you guys that are getting the roof racks...

CLICK HERE
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
Turdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of light
Turdburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, thanks everyone. My truck's only 2 months old and <1,000 miles. Maybe I'm not yet ready to go breaking stuff on my truck in the name of a roofrack
Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #11
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I added this to my truck a few weeks ago. Very simple to do. I can't see how you would break anything. This is probably one of the most basic things you can do. No drilling required, all the holes are in place. The instructions were spot on and very easy to read.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
High-Gear's Tacoma Gallery
Since it looks like your question has been answered, let me thread jack a little.

I'm looking to add just a single bar near the front of the truck, for a Thule type wind deflector to help the wind resistance with my Con-Ferr rack which is on the camper. Will Thule racks mount to the factory mounts, and then can you reinstall the rest of the track to cover the channel?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

2 tips for installing OEM Racks

1) bend the front brackets forward a bit so when the clip gets into it, holds the front of the rack against the body eliminating the gap, hard to explain but if you don't, to pull the clips out for a second try is a PITA.

2) align and start all the bolts on the rack prior to tightening down.

good luck really easy to do
Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
Since it looks like your question has been answered, let me thread jack a little.

I'm looking to add just a single bar near the front of the truck, for a Thule type wind deflector to help the wind resistance with my Con-Ferr rack which is on the camper. Will Thule racks mount to the factory mounts, and then can you reinstall the rest of the track to cover the channel?
Thule sells mounts that clamp onto the longitudinal rails and hold their cross bars. I see them used on Subaru's all the time.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
High-Gear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
Thule sells mounts that clamp onto the longitudinal rails and hold their cross bars. I see them used on Subaru's all the time.
Thanks, but I don't have the factory rails. I was hoping for just the one bar for the fairing.

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
greyzland is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
greyzland's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Roof Rack

The Toyota dealer where I got my Tacoma 2011 charged me more than $1,000 to have that rook rack, bed extender and running boards installed.....now I realized I could have saved more than $700 had I known......
I had planned to buy the parts myself and installed them but where to get the instructions how to install them was the reason why I bit the bullet fired by the dealer...
Oh, well..there will always be a next time......
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Great tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
2 tips for installing OEM Racks

1) bend the front brackets forward a bit so when the clip gets into it, holds the front of the rack against the body eliminating the gap, hard to explain but if you don't, to pull the clips out for a second try is a PITA.

2) align and start all the bolts on the rack prior to tightening down.

good luck really easy to do
Mine has a gap,

For anybody seeing this for the first time and getting ready to install a rack, use these tips, they are spot on
Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Monster Coma;6465151][/QUOT
E]
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Tuctaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Tuctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 and was wondering if anyone knows if the roof rack sits higher than the Sirius shark fin antenna? I park in a garage for work and I barely fit as is.

Thanks,