Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I get the leaf springs replaced on 2010?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
copdude33 will become famous soon enoughcopdude33 will become famous soon enough
Army:
copdude33's Tacoma Gallery
Should I get the leaf springs replaced on 2010?

My truck qualifies for the leaf spring TSB where the 3 springs will be replaced with the 4 springs. However I hear that the 4 springs will jack it up in the back and also make it a stiffer ride. I don't haul much of anything in the back so should I get them replaced?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Personal preference. I am about to have it done, but my truck sure doesn't need it. I hauled 1,200lb of concrete mix and it handled like a dream. (to test the leafs)

I am doing it because I want the lift, and I want to do more suspension work. I am afraid if I do that work now, and later want (or worse: need) the TSB, Toyota is not going to allow it because of all the custom suspension work I had done to my truck (e.g. lift, new shocks, etc).

You need to weight the short term vs. the long term. Also, you have 3 years (or more if you bought ext. warranty) to have it done. If you don't have any immediate plans to doing suspension work on your truck, don't feel like you have to rush it. Just enjoy your Tacoma
Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
originalthoughts is on a distinguished road
originalthoughts's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is getting done on Tuesday.
Would just rather have it done now and not have to worry about it later.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
PatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Patrick
PatrickJW's Tacoma Gallery
I had my 2010 TDR Off Road SR 5 leaf spring TSB done last week along with it's 5000 mile oil change etc. They did an alignment as well, rides better handles better, I like it. Tool it around for a while & read some of the other posters. Most are saying get it done, particularly if you are towing, and hauling heavy stuff. Enjoy your Taco!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Most people seem to think it doesn't change the feel or it feels better. The TSB states it's for Customer Complaints- so if you don't have a complaint- You probably don't really need it. I doubt you'll notice the difference so much you'd regret asking for it tho...

As far as SC example= 1200 lbs of concrete is an overweight load for your truck (I'm pretty sure) and "handled like a dream" means you either paid less then ideal attention to your ride or you have really low standards...The TSB will be amazing for you.

And you only have the 3yr 36k warranty unless you have a really nice dealer (The TSB states so directly in the paperwork).
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
DBZ 2010 is on a distinguished road

DBZ 2010's Tacoma Gallery
It's really up to you, but for me I did it because we pay enough for the truck that anything I can get from Toyota free is worth getting. Plus I added 5100 billies from DSM and the rig looks great, nice & level.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I get the leaf springs replaced on 2010?-5-2010-fj-frt.jpg   Should I get the leaf springs replaced on 2010?-5-2010-fj-side.jpg   Should I get the leaf springs replaced on 2010?-05-2010-fjrear.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
^1.75?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
If you can get it without any hassle then I would go for it. Remember, it will settle after some time so it wont be as high when you first get them installed.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
^1.75?
Yep, it seemed better then getting the rake. And the the headlights don't aim at the ground anymore.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
DubVeeTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
DubVeeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ 2010 View Post
Yep, it seemed better then getting the rake. And the the headlights don't aim at the ground anymore.
This is my concern -- I haven't gotten the TSB, and I'm wondering about re-aligning the headlights after it's done. What is everyone doing with the lights if they don't run 5100's in the front?

(It seems like I would have to get 5100's for the front at the very least to fix the headlight issue, and bring the stance of the truck closer to stock.)
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVeeTaco View Post
This is my concern -- I haven't gotten the TSB, and I'm wondering about re-aligning the headlights after it's done. What is everyone doing with the lights if they don't run 5100's in the front?

(It seems like I would have to get 5100's for the front at the very least to fix the headlight issue, and bring the stance of the truck closer to stock.)

There is a sticky posted for headlights, just use the search and that might answer some of your questions.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
DubVeeTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
DubVeeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OK, thanks very much!