Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best front brake pads

View Poll Results: Which is the best brake pad?
Green Stuff 18 19.35%
Hawks 24 25.81%
OEM 39 41.94%
other 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
waller24 will become famous soon enough
waller24's Tacoma Gallery
Best front brake pads

havent decided which are the best....
ive heard some of the better pads are harder and can cause earlier rotor wear but I will let yall decide for me.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I have used EBC green stuff pads with their drilled and sloted rotors on other truck and loved the setup. I am puttin the same setup on my truck soon.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Never had to replace my pads or rotors yet. If i had to, i'd say hawks...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
waller24 will become famous soon enough
waller24's Tacoma Gallery
Pads

I have a winch and brushguard so I'm looking for something to hold up with the extra weight.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Dont believe the hype OEM Pads and Rotors are the bestest
Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Tacobullito is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
Tacobullito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
I have Hawk HPS pads, EBC Sport slotted/dimpled (not drilled) rotors, and Goodridge stainless steel lines and I'm very happy with the brake response. Stock brakes feel like you're stepping on dog shit IMO.
Does your pads make alot of noise?. I heard from other that the HPS are loud. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

question, do you guys with aftermarket pads/rotors still experience that clanking when you first apply the brakes in drive or reverse?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomabrakes.htm
Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I don't
sweet thanks. now im even more excited for my oem pads to wear out. maybe the rotors too
Old 05-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt anyone has tested 5 or 6 different brake pads with their truck. So everyone is just going to recommend what they bought themselves
Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacobullito View Post
Does your pads make alot of noise?. I heard from other that the HPS are loud. Thanks.
Nope, no noise with the HPS pads.

My g/f has Hawk HP Plus pads on her tC but she races the thing. On the street the HP Plus pads make a horrible scraping/squeaking noise thats supposedly normal. It goes away after the pads heat up. I wouldn't recommend HP Plus for the street, but HPS I've had on this truck and my prior 350Z with good results and no noise.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
sweet thanks. now im even more excited for my oem pads to wear out. maybe the rotors too
You'll be waiting a long time! Just trash the OEM pads and get new ones.

Lol edit, just saw you have an '06 so maybe you're coming up on replacement anyway
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
You'll be waiting a long time! Just trash the OEM pads and get new ones.

Lol edit, just saw you have an '06 so maybe you're coming up on replacement anyway
Well i only have 36k miles on it. Last time i rotated, back in january, i still had about half of my pads left. I want some new pads and rotors, but besides the annoying "clank", my pads are fine. So i reckon its a wait game.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #15

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well i only have 36k miles on it. Last time i rotated, back in january, i still had about half of my pads left. I want some new pads and rotors, but besides the annoying "clank", my pads are fine. So i reckon its a wait game.
Hmm...check the torque on your wheel lugs. When I changed rotors, I remember a clank noise the first time I braked hard. The rotor rotated slightly and the noise was caused by the leading edge of the holes in the rotor setting against the wheel studs. After it set I haven't heard it since. I think loose wheel lugs might not put enough pressure against the rotor to keep it from slopping back and forth when you backup and go forward?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
Yota Doc
DocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to all

Name: Brian
DocBrown86's Tacoma Gallery
OEM = best quality
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
question, do you guys with aftermarket pads/rotors still experience that clanking when you first apply the brakes in drive or reverse?
is that what this is? i always thought it was my sway bar hittin my shock or something
good to know..
Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
is that what this is? i always thought it was my sway bar hittin my shock or something
good to know..
It's the front brake design on our trucks. There's too much play in the pads where the pins slide through them, or you could say too much play in the pins themselves...depending on how you look at it. The pads will slide up or down and slam against the pins the first time you apply brakes after traveling in the opposite direction (going forward, stopping, putting it in reverse, then hitting the brakes for the first time in reverse will cause the clunk/ting/ding whatever you want to call it. Same then happens after going in reverse, then traveling forward and hitting the brakes the first time.).
Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
For cars, I have had great success with Axxis.
MetalMasters are the shit, amazing performance with a lot of dust.
Axxis Deluxe if you don't want to clean your wheels all the time.
Remember, this is a truck, not a performance machine.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
It's the front brake design on our trucks. There's too much play in the pads where the pins slide through them, or you could say too much play in the pins themselves...depending on how you look at it. The pads will slide up or down and slam against the pins the first time you apply brakes after traveling in the opposite direction (going forward, stopping, putting it in reverse, then hitting the brakes for the first time in reverse will cause the clunk/ting/ding whatever you want to call it. Same then happens after going in reverse, then traveling forward and hitting the brakes the first time.).
x2!. i always thought i had a loose pad or something was actually wrong. technically something is loose but its not a big, big issue. though i would like to see that clank go away...