1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Avid Offroad Bolt-on Sliders

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sp0di, May 24, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    smartytime

smartytime Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab 6"
    6" Lift, Avid Bull Bar, Avid Steps, 35s on 20s
    I'm not trying to start any sort of flame war here, but you really should be careful throwing around such general statements like these without any specific evidence to back them up.

The sliders of both companies are made from the same material (HREW 1 3/4" x .120). Using your logic of design+material, one would have to assume there must be some ingenuity in design that, when subjected to a weight bearing test, would cause one company's sliders to retain perfect form while the the other company's sliders would bend in two.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's highly unlikely. Avid uses a classic slider design and a very standard material. Calling them "weak" or suggesting that it's a fact that they "will bend" when supporting the weight of the truck is just not true. This type of a design flaw would surely have been noted by the tens of thousands of slider owners with a similarly designed product built with the exact same material.

Look, I'm all for having debates about products, but let's "keep it real". BeefedTaco makes a very nice looking slider. There's nothing I've seen or read to indicate that it doesn't live up to its name. I think the question that has to be answered is: Is it worth paying a $200-300 premium over the Avid sliders?

2. May 31, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    dave831

dave831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seaside CA
    Vehicle:
    10 reg cab 4x4
    3" spacer lift in the front aal in rear, PRS dash gauge mod, cool air intake, headache rack, tool box, center console, black badges and relocated, Avid Off Road armor,BHLM, Collar matched Satoshi grill, rear diff breather mod, stop the seat belt beeping mod
    yes they do and they look great:D

3. May 31, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    I am looking for bolt on sliders, but arent these the ones that bolt to the factory Running Board locations? Isnt that into the body sheet metal?

4. May 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    thank you
    Brandon at Avid does a great job and I doubt his sliders would bend or be weaker than anyone else's.

5. Jun 1, 2010 at 3:21 AM
    sp0di

sp0di [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    10 DC OR
    I don't think it's a vending issue between slider mfg's, but more of a bolt-on vs weld-on design. There are some bolt-on designs that you have to drill onto the frame whereas others use the stock mounting bolts. I think everyone would agree that if you are going rock crawling weldon is the way to go as they esencially extend the frame. Bolt on produce the same looks, but at a bit less protection due to mount point types.

No, I'm not a desige eng or anything, but that all makes sense to me.

Oh yea, enjoy the iPhone typos (and mine :))

6. Jun 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, which is likely the biggest difference between Avid and Beefed's bolt on designs. Avid uses the stock bolt-on points and Beefed requires you to drill the frame.

7. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    murgy88

murgy88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad
    Just installed my Avid bolt on sliders:

[​IMG]

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Really? From what I've read I thought the Avid's were pretty darn robust... I don't have them myself but I've never heard an issue with them until this?

9. Jul 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Well, the welded up ones seem to hold up pretty well (as do allpro's) from what I've seen. They may not be as strong as some others but they do seem to get the job done. Anything is better than nothing... and if you're only doing light wheeling not rock demolishing... even these bolt on avids are better than nothing. It really depends on your specific needs I guess... personally I was looking at 4x innovation's weld on/kick out ones myself.

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    smartytime

smartytime Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab 6"
    Note that in your original post you were claiming that the WELD-ONS would bend, then used the information from Avid's website about BOLT-ONS to support your original point about WELD-ONS. I never once tried to imply that bolt-on sliders would support the weight of the truck. I don't mind debating you, but let's try to stay on topic.

And here you go again... making claims without any evidence. Do you wanna place a bet on whether or not Avid weld-on sliders have gussets? I'll take you up on it - just name the price...

Let's remember - YOU were the one who came here making the ridiculous claims. If I tell everyone here that you have a low IQ, is it your responsibility to prove me wrong, or my responsibility to prove my ridiculous claim? That's right, it's my responsibility to prove my ridiculous claim.

But, just for good measure, if I produce a photo of a truck with Avid weld-on sliders on a high lift (with gussets), will you promise to pay off our bet (the amount to be determined by you), then apologize and go away?

11. Jul 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    i have the avid weld on sliders, and went wheeling last weekend, landed pretty hard on the sliders once or twice, they held up great, did not bend. Ive also lifted the entire side of my truck on a highlift in the driveway to see if they bend, and make sure the welds would hold. everything was fine, no bending of any sort, just got the hell scratched out of them this past weekend. And they do have gussets.

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    smartytime

smartytime Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab 6"
    You were running out of facts, so I knew the fanboy argument was coming...

Opinion: a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty

You could have saved us time by stating from the get-go that you were just stating an opinion and had no proof. I would not have gotten so "butthurt".

Good day

13. Mar 30, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    also give her the "I told you so" speech

14. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread

ok ummm, lets see where do i start. o i know have you not seen the vids of sarah from all pro DROPPING her truck off pretty much a ledge and it merely catching on nothing more than her sliders? those were the bolt ons and they didnt bend nor break. also i know of all kinds of times where folks with all pro sliders have had the entire driver or passenger side of their truck lifted off the ground and only held up by the one point of contact the high lift is making with them. im sure if you push anything hard enough it will either bend or brake. but lets face it most of us arent here to push things that hard on our dd and if we do seem to have a need to push things that far we will have a devoted trail rig that will be reinforced many times over to handle such things. not trying to ruffle feathers but it sure did seem like you came to the party looking for a fight. maybe you have had a bad experience but i would say the vast majority do not share your views or else these other companies would be well on their way to declaring bankruptcy, not giving discounts for a group buy....just my 2 cents.

15. Sep 2, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    bootboiler

bootboiler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires

Products Discussed in

To Top