1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need your opinion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06BLUEDBLSPORT, May 24, 2010.

?

What should I get?

1. TRD S/C

38.1%
  2. New Alpine H/U and Speakers

15.9%
  3. Rims

3.2%
  4. Toytec ultimate lift kit

42.9%
  1. May 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    Im getting a job and I know have the option to pay for the mods on my truck. so I want to change some things up.

I have the choice of a TRD Supercharger, New Alpine Double Din head unit and new Alpine speakers, new rims, or a Toytec ultimate lift kit cause I cant take them spacers. soo what do you think

This is all coming fully out of my own pocket

2. May 24, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    I say toss the spacers.

3. May 24, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    I'd say lift or supercharger. They at least give you performance, whereas a head unit, speakers or rims won't. And plus you can get rid of those spacers.

4. May 24, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    takomabeast

takomabeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCal (Torrance)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Icon Stage 2, BFG KO2 275/70/R17, ProComp 7005 wheels
    lift kit FTW. Sounds system can be replaced easily and quickly at a later point...Supercharger will reduce gas mileage(unless that is not a problem), Rims would look better after a lift...especially if your gonna go bigger tires.

5. May 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i'd say work the job...save the money...

dont spend money you dont have yet

it's all well and good to plan but ive found i spend less frivolously when i dont set a "goal" and just save save save until i reach a certain monetary point and then reward myself with a purchase of sorts

6. May 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Go with the S/C. Wish I could slap a super charger on my rig!

7. May 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    SC no question. If your truck was a 4X4 I would say lift but the SC is the start of a sweet prerunner.

8. May 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    the price difference between the S/C and the everything else is rediculous.....just get all those but the S/C for about the same price as an S/C

9. May 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    actually i take back what i said..... do this... its tough for me because i work at best buy and i use my whole paycheck every two weeks and what ever's left goes to my truck payment.

10. May 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    Yeah i guess a TRD S/C would end up costing all three of those together. When i got a quote for the Alpine INA-W900 with Alpine G-series speakers and alpine ipod hook up and dash kit would cost about 2000 with the purchase of a warranty. I was all set on getting that but now I've come to realize that im killing my truck with the spacers, my suspension is squeaking like a mofo, i hit the bump stops every day on the littlest bump in the road....it just sucks, so i figure if im gonna lift it, do it right.

Im still undecided :(

11. May 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    if youre gonna do that soundsystem. get that head unit do the alpine type s speakers and an alpine power pack more info on it here and seriously do it through best buy. our warranty covers everthing. literally. the only thing it doesnt cover is lost or stolen. any thing else its covered. even speaker blow outs, amp failure, any defects or malfunctions.

12. May 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    and install is guranteed for life so if you do want to sell the truck and keep the sound system you can get the OEM system re installed for no extra charge

13. May 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  14. May 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    If I buy an Alpine INA-W900 from eBay will bestbuy install it?

I had best buy install my current Alpine and they did the best job on it! Love best buy.

I feel like I'm getting ripped off. Car Toys is where I looked at the Alpines and wher I got quoted 2k. It was gonna cost I think 200 or more for installation and they only carried metra dash kits, I prefer scosche. So I'd have to buy a dash kit off of eBay. I am just unsure abt that place but I do like the type G Alpines, they are at a lower price than the type S but sounded just as good. The guys at car toys said the type G's are the Asian version of the type R's.... :confused:
    but I figured any Alpine speaker is great ( I'm a full Alpine fan and supporter)

What do you think. I did hear the bestbuy near my house is gonna start selling Alpine double din headunits....is that true for all bestbuys??

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. May 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    If I buy an Alpine INA-W900 from eBay will bestbuy install it? yes i believe install for a double din is $100

they only carried metra dash kits, I prefer scosche
    we have scosche dash kits.

I am just unsure abt that place but I do like the type G Alpines, they are at a lower price than the type S but sounded just as good. The guys at car toys said the type G's are the Asian version of the type R's

honestly.....theyre alright i would spend the extra couple bills and get type s's you will be happier in the long run and since youre not getting a sub theyre great because they have amazing bass for speakers.

but I figured any Alpine speaker is great ( I'm a full Alpine fan and supporter)

x2. i love alpine..... but the only alpine brand im running is amps.

my set up is like a mutt.

Pioneer H/U
    Infinity Speakers
    Rockford Fosgate and Monster Wiring
    2 Alpine Vpower amps
    and a Kicker Sub.

haha
    but it sounds great and i love it!

What do you think. I did hear the bestbuy near my house is gonna start selling Alpine double din headunits....is that true for all bestbuys??
    not 100% sure but i can find out. we have the INA-W900 online but not in store

16. May 24, 2010 at 11:05 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    i hope this is helping :eek:

17. May 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Hearing this I feel alot better about this! I think I will go with the type s cause some days I want to blast some heavy hitting bass rap, although the stock speakers are holding up and are decent for non jbl. I think I will go with bestbuy cause knock on wood they have not dissapointed me or my brothers. My brothers put Alpine h/u's and speakers in their trucks and did it all thru bestbuy with purchasing and installation and not one problem or mishap. Now that you mentioned the warranties bestbuy offers I feel like bestbuy is the way to go. Bestbuy FTW!

How much is speaker installation?

18. May 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX

Nice!!!

and as far as speaker install....not 100% sure on that either....i cant remember what size speakers our trucks have.... i believe it was something like 6x9's in the front and 6 1/2's in the back.....

no amp?

i THINK its $50 a pair.......could be more not 100% sure.. i could let you know tomorrow though!

19. May 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I would love to get subs but I don't want to lose all the storage space behind my back seats.

Would I need an amp for the speakers?

I know this won't help much but the front speakers are oval shaped and the rear are circular. :eek:

20. May 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    yep 6x9's in the front and 6 1/2's in the back.

and you dont NEED and amp but its highly recommended....

if you dont wanna drop $250 for an alpine amp like i said before do the alpine power pack.... essentially does the same thing for half the price

Products Discussed in

To Top