Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Door panel armrest repair

Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Door panel armrest repair

Don't know if anyone has done this before but my door panel armrest was broken from the day I bought my truck (used). I know most people won't be able to do this repair, but thought you all might like to see how it can be done. It's called plastic welding. I have a kit at work (I work at a car dealership) with different plastic rods and stuff. The armrest is solid and strong now I can't believe I waited 2 months to fix this. Here's my before and after pictures.

Before. You can see the + shaped crack going from each side and top to bottom.

After. I ran a bead of plastic weld all the way across past the cracks and then covered the welds with hot glue for added strength.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Dude that is pretty sweet. nice job
Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
great write up!! this will definitely help a lot of people!!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
I did it a couple months ago while doing my leather install : http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=314399
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I did it a couple months ago while doing my leather install : http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=314399
Nice work! Your's looks way better than mine did. But you were able to access both sides of the crack and I couldn't. I like the leather too. At least now people on TW will be able to find it easily too.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
nice! i need to do this as well, can you recommend a kit and/or filler material that would be good to use on this?

i hate to say it, but its almost like they designed it to crack..i mean, whats the point of that thin groove in there?!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Nice work! Your's looks way better than mine did. But you were able to access both sides of the crack and I couldn't. I like the leather too. At least now people on TW will be able to find it easily too.
I didn't do it myself, I actually carried it to a bumper repair shop that specializes in plastic welding. They recommended that I weld both sides which was no problem since I was doing my leather install. Mine is still holding up strong. The only regret I have is not welding the whole length of the arm rest seam but from what I remember the crack always seems to start where the seams intersect so I should be ok.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Mine cracked while still under warranty. Dealership hung an entire new door panel to fix a 2 inch crack. Mmmm okay.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
nice! i need to do this as well, can you recommend a kit and/or filler material that would be good to use on this?

i hate to say it, but its almost like they designed it to crack..i mean, whats the point of that thin groove in there?!
The kit I used I got from Snap-On, I don't remember how much I paid, I know it was at least $150. Here's a link to a cheap one from harbor frieght. It's $40 and the welding rods are $6.

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...kit-41592.html
Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
After. I ran a bead of plastic weld all the way across past the cracks and then covered the welds with hot glue for added strength.

that looks like a nice weld... good job on the repairs...let us know how it holds up...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #11

Update for everyone. The armrest is holding up VERY well. I hadn't really noticed the repair until the other day I was talking on my phone (yeah I know I should talk on the phone and drive) and I was leaning on the armrest and holding the phone to my ear and realized, holy crap, I didn't sink into the door panel!! Yay. The repair turned out so good, I took of the passenger side one and did it too, wasn't as bad as the drivers side, but now it won't get there.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
how easy is it to take the armrest apart to do this fix?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnborder View Post
how easy is it to take the armrest apart to do this fix?
It just requires removing the entire door panel. Which is basically held on by some clips and screws. It only takes about 5-10mins to remove the panel.

Also just to keep the thread updated the armrest is still holding up strong, no issues what so ever.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
stevensc is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
stevensc's Tacoma Gallery
My 2011 cracked about a month ago, out of warranty I guess. Is it possible to just replace the armrest section with a new one? I haven't removed the door panel yet but loking at the pic in Toll's reply, #10, it looks like the armrest part may be glued in? All those grooves molded into the bottom of the piece look like a natural place to break, a pretty sorry design!
Steve
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
when you say its broken, is it like right in the center of that vinyl (or sometimes leather when replaced) piece thats basically where your elbow lands on the door panel? like right at the point of your elbow you can feel it sinking in? If so my 2012 has been like this for a while now and I just haven't taken it apart to figure it out yet.

Hopefully this is the issue and its a quick plastic weld fix
Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
speedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of light
speedjunkie13's Tacoma Gallery
For people that don't have a plastic welder, or just can't use one, you can do this exact repair using a hot glue gun from a craft store. I don't have any pictures but I used hot glue and a piece of plastic to reinforce it. The plastic i used was from a washer fluid jug, but you could use anything that was thin enough to bend easily. Essentially it was like applying a large patch to the backside of the armrest. Mine has been solid for over a year now, and i highly doubt i could break it if i tried.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Partzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Don
Partzguy's Tacoma Gallery
I just repaired mine last weekend. Even though I've never worked with fiberglass before, I thought I'd give it a try. I bought a $18 Bondo brand fiberglass repair kit from the local hardware store. I started by roughing up the panel surface with sandpaper, then wiped it down with acetone. Then cut the fiberglass matting into 1 1/2" wide strips about 3" long, and laid them in a criss-cross pattern 4 layers deep across the cracked area. It worked perfectly, and now that area of the panel is much stronger than before!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
chetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shedchetweewax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chetweewax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partzguy View Post
I just repaired mine last weekend. Even though I've never worked with fiberglass before, I thought I'd give it a try. I bought a $18 Bondo brand fiberglass repair kit from the local hardware store. I started by roughing up the panel surface with sandpaper, then wiped it down with acetone. Then cut the fiberglass matting into 1 1/2" wide strips about 3" long, and laid them in a criss-cross pattern 4 layers deep across the cracked area. It worked perfectly, and now that area of the panel is much stronger than before!
I did the same exact thing but i went a little crazy with the fiberglass, strong as hell now though
Attached Thumbnails
Door panel armrest repair-img_0434.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
stevensc is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
stevensc's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies folks!
I have done fiberglass work on boats so I guess I'll be trying it out on the Tacoma
Steve