1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine sometimes hard to start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bauermike, May 26, 2008.

1. May 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If you want me to look at it, Im off work arround 2:30 pm. I'll pm you my number.

2. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    any word on a TSB for this issue for '09-'10 trucks?

3. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    WILLIAM ROBERT

WILLIAM ROBERT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    it's blue
    I know it sounds stupid and I'm sure that it's the first thing that you checked, but the battery clamps are tight and free of corrosion? The Starter cables are tight? The grounds are good? Doesn't matter what the computer wants to do with the timing and injection, the starter should be cranking at the same speed all the time.

4. Apr 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    Man, I would hope they are all tight and corrosion free........it's a 2010 Taco!
    I'll double check, but from what it sounds like, it's the nature of the beast. If it was serious, I gotta believe there would be a TSB out.

5. Apr 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I wonder if it would help to leave the key in the ON (run) position for a couple seconds before cranking the engine. In some vehicles this will get the fuel system primed so gas gets to the engine quicker than just putting in the key and turning it to crank straight away.

I will try stabbing the throttle and see if it helps start quicker... but it seems by my questionable memory that most FI engines manuals say not to touch the throttle when starting the engine.

6. Apr 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    There are numerous Tacos that have the same problem. I just brought my truck in last week and the dealership told me that its a common problem that happens with the 4.0 tacos. They also told me that the FJ's are having the same issue. Im not sure if your having the same issue as mine but every so often, it takes a couple of cranks to start. The dealership checked the ecu and said that there were no error on it and that nothing could be done about it. I starting having these problems a month after buying my taco. It only happens every so often so its very hard to duplicate it. If your having problems starting every morning, then you may have a different problem.

7. May 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    SantaCruz'n

SantaCruz'n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    Saving for the 2013
    Thanks for everybody's input. My truck started doing this yesterday. Im going to get a new battery anyways, since mine is 5 years old. Again, thanks for your advice.

Logan

8. May 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Dunno. My '09 starts like a champ. During the 11 months I have had her, only once did it not start right up the first time, and I think it was because I was very low on fuel...

9. May 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    NAZ

NAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD
    Toytec 3in lift American Racing Chambers 16x8 4.5 bs 285/75 BFG All-Terrains A.R.E. Camper Shell Surco Safari Rack Hella 500 hi-lift/shovel some black stuff...
    Mine started doing this yesterday as well! I turn the key it starts up and then dies, it usually starts the next time though, but its weak. Could mine be a different problem since I spent the whole weekend rigging up hella lights and did the fog light mod? I feel like its sucking to much power from the battery although it shouldn't be. Maybe I have a bad ground or connection somewhere?

Products Discussed in

To Top