Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bike towing: bed or trailer for best mpg?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
JoeBama has a spectacular aura aboutJoeBama has a spectacular aura about
Name: Joe
JoeBama's Tacoma Gallery
bike towing: bed or trailer for best mpg?

Hey, new member and first post here. Planning on traveling with a 550 lb. bike this summer. Strictly in terms of mileage, which would turn the best mpg's do you think? In the bed, or with a small lightweight trailer with the Undercover tonneau cover on the bed? I have a new Prerunner 4 cyl. with only 500 miles logged so far, but I'll have the 1000 mile break-in covered by the time we travel. Thanks, and am looking forward to this forum.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
bed. less overall weight the truck has to lug around, and less surface area for drag.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you lose the trailer you will loose a few hundred pounds and the extra rolling resistance, so I would say in the bed for sure. Welcome to TW!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Royce
yamaha73's Tacoma Gallery
in the bed just like they said less weight....and i live in california and wen you pull a trailer here you can only go 55mph on the freeway so im not sure if its the same where u are from
Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha73 View Post
in the bed just like they said less weight....and i live in california and wen you pull a trailer here you can only go 55mph on the freeway so im not sure if its the same where u are from
yeah, but going less than 65mph is best for mpgs anyways. Over that speed the aerodynamics of a truck suck ass and totally kills the gas mileage. With my truck its like 19mpg at 60mph and only 15mpg at 70mph, and around 13mpg at 75mph.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
JoeBama has a spectacular aura aboutJoeBama has a spectacular aura about
Name: Joe
JoeBama's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense. The bedcover claims a 10-15% gain in mileage in aerodynamics, but I guess you would still have the turbulence back at the trailer. Other factors are a little leery of loading up ramps, and loosing the weatherproof storage in the bed. Then theres the cost of building the trailer on the other side. But, I'll have to weigh all that--just wodering about the mileage first! Thanks for the input.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I would put it in the bed for sure. Much less weight and friction.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
yeah, but going less than 65mph is best for mpgs anyways. Over that speed the aerodynamics of a truck suck ass and totally kills the gas mileage. With my truck its like 19mpg at 60mph and only 15mpg at 70mph, and around 13mpg at 75mph.
Really? my truck gets about 20mpg when the cruise is set at 65mph. i usually drive at 69mph and itll get 19mpg
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha73 View Post
Really? my truck gets about 20mpg when the cruise is set at 65mph. i usually drive at 69mph and itll get 19mpg
3" lift, heavy/aggressive 35" tires, and all sorts of extra weight from my offroad armor drops it a bit, not to mention there isnt much flat road where I live.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
3" lift, heavy/aggressive 35" tires, and all sorts of extra weight from my offroad armor drops it a bit, not to mention there isnt much flat road where I live.
very true lol, the lift doesnt really affect it just a little more wieght but the 35" tires and all the metal u have on there... your truck is doing good on mpg then lol