Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

air conditioning noise

Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
squiggy is on a distinguished road
squiggy's Tacoma Gallery
air conditioning noise

I have a 2007 Tacoma with a 2.7 motor and manual transmission. When turning the air on I get a somewhat loud rattle noise underneath my truck. Just wanting to know if anyone else has this problem or is this normal for these trucks?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i would first check the fan where the cabin air filter is. i had an acorn in there and it was causing all sorts of issues
Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2010 that does the same thing, since new. took it in and they said it was normal. i have an auto that doesn't do it. i think it's a 2.7, 5-speed thing. its annoying as hell.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
gurjohn is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Industrial and Volunteer firefighter 15+ years
Name: Miller
gurjohn's Tacoma Gallery
ditto

Looks like I found the right thread........
I have 4 cyl / 5-spd manual. I started noticing the noise after purchase. I took it to dealership, they did some research and said it appears all the 4-cyl/manual truck did it.
Mine only makes the noise when the a-c is on and the clutch pedal is out (can even hear it in 1st gear at low speed). If I push in the pedal, the noise stops, if I turn off a-c it stops, if I gently move the gear shift towards any gear, it stops.
I don't like it at all, I think there must be some slop in the gearing. I'm hopeful it's not a serious flaw.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
lIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM
Name: Chad
lIlOtAcO's Tacoma Gallery
I just took mine in for the same thing. I hate this makes my truck sound like a POS. They said its normal. WTF
Old 06-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
MajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud of

Marines: Sergeant of Marines, 4th Force Recon
Name: Johnny
MajKong's Tacoma Gallery
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. My 2008 4X4 4cyl access cab does the same thing.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
TacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sean
TacoVerde's Tacoma Gallery

i hate this noise too. i noticed it first in a carls junior drivethrough.......same thing push in clutch its gone,turn off a/c its gone i hate sounding like a chevy
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2009 access cab 4x4 manual 2.7L 4 banger and it does it as well...I'm glad to hear its not just mine...but i agree, i hate it...i just turn up my tunes louder so I can't hear it
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonesTrumpet View Post
i have a 2009 access cab 4x4 manual 2.7L 4 banger and it does it as well...I'm glad to hear its not just mine...but i agree, i hate it...i just turn up my tunes louder so I can't hear it
Me too. Although, mines a 2008, the radio fix still works.

Here's another thread on the subject.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...inative-4.html
Old 06-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4.0 V6 and when I turn the AC on in the truck, occasioanally I hear an awful rattling/grinding noise. The trucks an automatic. I only hear the noise when I turn on the AC, and it seems to come and go. Could this be a different noise/issue than what the rest of the 4 banger manual guys are experiencing?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
roadrunner392005 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lenny
roadrunner392005's Tacoma Gallery
thank god.. i joined the site hoping to find an answer.. took it to the dealership nd they said it was a tranny problem. which i thought was outrageous being the truck only has 25k miles on it..
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
09 2.7 5speed (company truck, not the one in my sig, obviously). I never really noticed it before reading everyone else's complaints, but it's there. It's never gotten any louder.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster06 View Post
I have a 4.0 V6 and when I turn the AC on in the truck, occasioanally I hear an awful rattling/grinding noise. The trucks an automatic. I only hear the noise when I turn on the AC, and it seems to come and go. Could this be a different noise/issue than what the rest of the 4 banger manual guys are experiencing?
On my 2006, there was a loose bolt at the top alternator mounting bracket. The washer that goes under the bolt head was rattling when the AC was under load. Took awhile to find it, I was able to rotate the washer by hand.