1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will a oem bug shield damage paint?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by copdude33, May 27, 2010.

1. May 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    copdude33

copdude33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roxboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Tint, bed cover, led high beams, HID low beams, blacked emblems
    I just bought the Tacoma OEM bug deflector/hood protector and even though you place the clear stickers under the clips I am wondering if grit under it will cut through that film? I know its the same film that is used to protect the hoods of cars but just how durable is it? Has anyone ever took the OEM off and discovered any damage?

2. May 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    many say it will...

3. May 27, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Yes.

Common sense screamed out as much to me the first time i saw a Tacoma with this 'application' on the lot while scouting out my replacement for my 2000. (While going through the holy frame buyback process) I remarked as much to the dumbfounded saleman.

I think i said to the guy something along the line of 'who is the idiot who 'engineered' this application?', to which he smartly replied, 'huh?'

Thats when i knew i was in good hands...

Honestly, how could anyone with even a slim grasp of the obvious agree to secure something to the exterior painted surface of their vehicle in this fashion?

4. May 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    My advice would be to take it off and either get them to take it back (for refund) due to enlightenment (information received) after the fact, or eat the loss and file it under lesson learned.

5. May 27, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    took mine off, and i have some pretty good peices of paint missing. Not just little specks, but some good size chunks.

6. May 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    Yup. I've posted this in many threads!

Had to have my whole hood repainted (at dealer cost of course) within 6 months of it being installed. 2 chips, one of them REALLY big all the way down to the bare metal.

With this design, can't be avoided.

7. May 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    copdude33

copdude33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roxboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Tint, bed cover, led high beams, HID low beams, blacked emblems
    Awesome! I'm taking this shit off my truck and taking it back!

8. May 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    Glad to help :)

9. May 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    silver streak taco

silver streak taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    yes, i bought my 05 with one and after taking it off, it took the paint off (even with the tape)... but if you plan on leaving it on then i wouldn't worry bout it

10. May 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Yes it will mess your paint up. Took chunks out of my paint also... down to the metal.

Products Discussed in

To Top