1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reverse lights aren't working

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by "OldManTan", May 27, 2010.

1. May 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I just noticed recently that my reverse lights don't come on all the time. I work second shift so I come home at dark everyday. Sometimes if I take it out of reverse and kind of slam it in, they will come on. Sometimes they'll come on after a few seconds, sometimes not at all. A real PITA since my driveway is 250' long and I back down the whole thing. Wondering where the switch is and how hard it is to get to. And if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, please feel free.....

2. May 28, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like the reverse gear light sensor mounted on the transmission. Idea is when you go into reverse, the sensor gets poked and completes the circuit for the back up lights.

On the manual, it is on the passenger side of the transmission and fairly easy to get to. Not sure where it is on the auto transmission. If you disconnect the sensor or the wiring harness from the tranny and bridge the two wire connectors, with your truck ignition in the 'run' position (not running obviously) and gear selector in reverse, you can check if the lights come on.

Just another thought...when inspecting the wiring harness on my 2009 after delivery, noticed that the wiring to this sensor was bent almost to the point of wearing through. Not much slack on the wire. You might check this as an intermittent off/on condition.

3. May 28, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Pretty sure it's in the same spot on an auto also

4. May 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Thanks!! I have the 5-speed so I'll take a look. Really bothering me cause like I said I come home at night. Thank you.

5. Aug 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Sorry but I have to revive this thread. I ended up purchasing a new back-up light switch back in June. I installed it and it still didn't work. In the end I removed the crush washer and it worked fine, until this week. Same damn thing as last time, it will work intermittent. I have no clue whats going on. Has anyone tore down a 5 spd tranny and know how heavy the arm is that depresses the switch? I am afraid it is bending or something. Only way I can explain the odd behavior. unless coincidence got a bum switch as a replacement? Please Help!!

Products Discussed in

To Top