Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Reverse lights aren't working

Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
Reverse lights aren't working

I just noticed recently that my reverse lights don't come on all the time. I work second shift so I come home at dark everyday. Sometimes if I take it out of reverse and kind of slam it in, they will come on. Sometimes they'll come on after a few seconds, sometimes not at all. A real PITA since my driveway is 250' long and I back down the whole thing. Wondering where the switch is and how hard it is to get to. And if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, please feel free.....
Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the reverse gear light sensor mounted on the transmission. Idea is when you go into reverse, the sensor gets poked and completes the circuit for the back up lights.

On the manual, it is on the passenger side of the transmission and fairly easy to get to. Not sure where it is on the auto transmission. If you disconnect the sensor or the wiring harness from the tranny and bridge the two wire connectors, with your truck ignition in the 'run' position (not running obviously) and gear selector in reverse, you can check if the lights come on.

Just another thought...when inspecting the wiring harness on my 2009 after delivery, noticed that the wiring to this sensor was bent almost to the point of wearing through. Not much slack on the wire. You might check this as an intermittent off/on condition.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg boulette View Post
Sounds like the reverse gear light sensor mounted on the transmission. Idea is when you go into reverse, the sensor gets poked and completes the circuit for the back up lights.

On the manual, it is on the passenger side of the transmission and fairly easy to get to. Not sure where it is on the auto transmission. If you disconnect the sensor or the wiring harness from the tranny and bridge the two wire connectors, with your truck ignition in the 'run' position (not running obviously) and gear selector in reverse, you can check if the lights come on.
Pretty sure it's in the same spot on an auto also
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg boulette View Post

Just another thought...when inspecting the wiring harness on my 2009 after delivery, noticed that the wiring to this sensor was bent almost to the point of wearing through. Not much slack on the wire. You might check this as an intermittent off/on condition.
Thanks!! I have the 5-speed so I'll take a look. Really bothering me cause like I said I come home at night. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #5

Sorry but I have to revive this thread. I ended up purchasing a new back-up light switch back in June. I installed it and it still didn't work. In the end I removed the crush washer and it worked fine, until this week. Same damn thing as last time, it will work intermittent. I have no clue whats going on. Has anyone tore down a 5 spd tranny and know how heavy the arm is that depresses the switch? I am afraid it is bending or something. Only way I can explain the odd behavior. unless coincidence got a bum switch as a replacement? Please Help!!