1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: Wire a Stock Auto-Dimming Mirror

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jefferson, May 27, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    haha awesome! Post pics and model numbers when/if you find it

2. Sep 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    In fact, the Toyota auto dimming inside rearview mirror is made by Gentex and sold through Mito Corp. Model #50-GENK2A. :) ($65-80 new)

3. Sep 1, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    awesome. I put that info into post #1 and quoted you as source. Thanks

4. Jan 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    This DIY was written with a lot of character. haha good job.

5. Jan 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    Average JOE

Average JOE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    3'lift,Upgraded sound system,Dyanamat interior flowmaster,K&N,
    Hey,

I found a Gentx Mirror at the junk yard for $8.00. It came with the pin connector but my problem is it has three wires. One plain black, one black with a purple stripe, and one black with a white stripe.

Per your diagram the black with white stripe is where the + goes and the the black with purple goes where the - goes. What is the third wire for?

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    jpaw30

jpaw30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Would like to know if anyone found out anything about the oem wire plug or the trim piece that hides the wires?

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5

That mirror might have an option for video, or something similar. Obviously just follow my directions and i'm sure it'll work fine - but.. that little wire... yah dont worry about that little wire

Yes, there is an OEM trim piece that clicks in place. a member here gave me one, actually. It is available from the dealer or if you're lucky, e-bay.

8. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    occupant

occupant Occupant Ilied Industries

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    NA
    I just wanted to pop in here and say that 3 wire mirror, I can almost guarantee the 3rd unknown wire goes to the reverse switch on the transmission, so it can disable the dimming function when you are reversing. You know, in the event you don't just turn around like you probably ought to.

9. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I finally installed my auto dim mirror and everything was perfect! Thanks! What did you use to conceal the wires? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. Dec 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Dec 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    JTaco386

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
  12. Dec 12, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    I will after I complete it. Its shipped but not in hand yet.

13. Dec 12, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    JTaco386

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks!!

14. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    See my earlier post with the kit I installed. Kit came with a cover (the hyperlink), mirror, harness, new mount for windshield (did not use), zip ties, and cable jumpers (used an easier set since I cut the wires off).
    Picture 1 is of the kit complete off ebay for about $72 with shipping.
    2 - Back of mirror
    3 - I wrapped the power cable around the stem because when I didn't do it, it stretched the cable and did not have much room to adjust the mirror if too taught. this way enabled the wire to be tight but still move with the mirror. I also routed the cable up through the mounting bracket since there was room and out the top for a cleaner look under the bracket and cover.
    4 - Screw hole in sunglasses holder to remove and take down the overhead console.
    5 - Temp/Compass gauge harness
    6 and 7 - Connected my power sources. Thanks to jefferson for the wiring. All worked great!
    8 - Mirror with wire leading up under the headliner.
    9 - Checked the power before putting the overhead console back up - power light is green (shown because my mirror is a tad different than jefferson's)
    10 - Notch in the headliner for the cover
    11 - Wire wrapped and under mount, leads out top. Had to push to the side and twist it flat to get clips of the cover into the mount.
    12 - Back side of the cover. We need the small cover (Under 4 1/2 inches) because the mirror is 4 inches from the headliner. The clips on the left go into the mount and the right side into the groove in the headliner.
    13 - Wire running through mount and up into cover
    14 - Another look
    15 - Complete cover mounted
    16 - View of cover from mirror into headliner. It is held in by the clips, but not tightly. It shouldn't move since I wrapped the cable around the mount. If I adjust the mirror, it takes slack from below the mount, not from the headliner.
    17 - Complete! Thanks jefferson!

DSCN2114.jpg
    DSCN2115.jpg
    DSCN2116.jpg
    DSCN2117.jpg
    DSCN2118.jpg
    DSCN2119.jpg
    DSCN2122.jpg
    DSCN2123.jpg
    DSCN2125.jpg
    DSCN2126.jpg
    DSCN2127.jpg
    DSCN2128.jpg
    DSCN2129.jpg
    DSCN2130.jpg
    DSCN2131.jpg
    DSCN2133.jpg
    DSCN2134.jpg

15. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
  16. May 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    RevoTaco

RevoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 08 6SP 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    Anyone know which Gentex mirror kit is the one that's dimmer WITH homelink (but no compass/temp, since I already have that in the center console), for an 08 Taco?

From my research I found 50-GENK40A looks like it's the one, but can anyone confirm before I spend a couple hundred on a mirror?

Thanks!

17. May 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    Ernesto4

Ernesto4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Hollywood
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma access cab 5 lug SR5
    what about if your mirror comes with the compass/temp display?

18. May 7, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    WordsxMod

WordsxMod New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco
    I'm a noob at Tacoma World.... but i did just complete this mod, for the auto darkened rear view.... why in the hell didn't Toyota have this installed from factory.... and if my mirror only auto darkens why is there 3 more prongs on the back of the mirror..... something i may never know..... appreciate your write up 100%!

Canyon lands likes this.
  19. May 8, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    I have that feature on my 2008 TSX, and frankly I prefer a "flip switch." But I do wish we had the Homelink system...

20. May 25, 2023 at 5:10 AM
    VA Tacoma

VA Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 SR5 off road 4.0 super white
    bone stock
    Got a Gentex auto dim, compass, and homelink from ebay for about $40 with shipping. It was out of a prius and works perfectly. The wire colors you provided was very helpful and I was able to make all the corrections at the roof console. Thanks for the great write up.

Products Discussed in

To Top