Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone swap trd offorad locker for trd sport lsd?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone swap trd offorad locker for trd sport lsd?

Thinking about swapping rear ends with a fellow member. I have the TRD Offroad Locker in my diff and he's got the TRD Sport with LSD

I know there is some wiring involved, but Im guessing the swap would be straight forward and pnp? Correct me if Im wrong

Im talking about the whole axle/diff swap fyi
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you willingly give up your locker ?

I was forced to get the Sport in order to get a double cab manual transmission, but I would have loved to be able to get the locker.

Just curious.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pretty sure he doesnt use it, and never will
Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont use it. And I want the LSD.

For some reason I am not able to get a detroit truetrac in my diff. If I could that would be my first choice, but Ive been told no one makes one to fit in my diff.

Correct me if im wrong on that, if someone knows of a trutrac that fits in my diff then I would rather do that. less work

So a swap is the next option.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude5 View Post
Pretty sure he doesnt use it, and never will
Fair enough.

I'd think the resale on an Offroad would take a bit of a kick to the balls if the locker is missing.

Maybe he doesn't care about that either.

Chalk me up as not getting it, but it's not my truck so who cares !
Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Sleeper 4x4

Resale? Im not selling this truck...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2926302
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

hahaha
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
Resale? Im not selling this truck...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2926302
no shit...

point taken !
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
Thinking about swapping rear ends with a fellow member. I have the TRD Offroad Locker in my diff and he's got the TRD Sport with LSD

I know there is some wiring involved, but Im guessing the swap would be straight forward and pnp? Correct me if Im wrong

Im talking about the whole axle/diff swap fyi
That depends are both trucks non VSC trucks ? if they are non-VSC trucks then you get his whole axle so does he yours. then you need to pull the wiring out from switch all way down to locker. Unless your body wants to make easy mod to have home made e-locker switch (look at ttora)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Sleeper 4x4

no vsc on mine, not sure about his
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #12

pretty sure no vsc on mine either. I dont even know what that is
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you racing guys used your lockers. Don't drag vehicles uses lockers? Or is it something different?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
are you guys both 4x4?

if you are, that's good (if not I may have a solution).
take the wiring harness from the axle, RR switch and 4wd ecu(aka rear locker ECU) from the OR and put er in the sport.. the wires "should" be there.

im dealing with ECU part number issues on my OR axle swap into a sr5 prerunner.

pm if you have questions.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #15

ya both 4x4
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #17

sweet thanks. I thought it would just be a straight axle swap and locker switch swap. And then just give the locker ecu to the guy with the sport? (didnt know there was a seperate one for the locker, or is it in the main ecu?)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
from the OR you need the axle, switch, 4wd ECU (behind and above the glove box)and the wires from the axle to the cab, they go past the fuel tank and are in the same loom as the brakes n stuff,7 wires that go into the cab at the driver side kick panel. that should be it.. but check for sure you have the green plug for the switch and the 2 loose plugs behind the glove box, they may not be loose cuz youre 4wd, you might have the ECU already . I dunno.. this is where the problems are for me mine only has 1 plug but the 1st ECU I got was supposedly for a 4wd ??
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
I thought you racing guys used your lockers. Don't drag vehicles uses lockers? Or is it something different?
Toyota lockers only work in 4wd low unless you mod them. Some drag vehicles do run locker though.