Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Running an Amp kit in a 2008 Taco

Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
"Historicly, Historic"
Osiris117 is on a distinguished road

Osiris117's Tacoma Gallery
Question Running an Amp kit in a 2008 Taco

Where is the best way to route an amp kit in a 2008 tacoma access cab 2wd? similarly where is the best place to ground said amp kit?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I fed the rear speaker leads through a low-to-high impedance converter and then an RCA Y-splitter into a 4-channel amp. From there I ran the amplifier outputs back to the rear doors and into the speakers. It's all controlled from the stock head unit so I still have the steering wheel controls. I have an overhead switch to manually turn the amp on and off as I don't always need the bass.

As for speaker placement, I hacked the hell out of a set of Xtreme Kreations sub boxes to make them work with my cage.

Each panel has a sealed 1 cubic foot box for the 10" sub that slides into the slightly-modified door.

As Xtreme Kreations meant for them to look:

How they look in my truck after I free-hand jig-sawed the fiberglass, flipped the mounts, and re-glassed everything so the speakers were recessed instead of raised up:

The panels don't rattle at all and the Pioneer subs hit hard.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, I picked up power straight off a block I installed under the hood. It's essentially right off the battery, which isn't a bad thing if you're running crazy wattage.

As for grounding, use massive gauge wire and a short run directly to the frame if you can. Engine noise through an amplifier is annoying as hell.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
"Historicly, Historic"

Talking Amp kit install

Thanx mjp2,

Putting a 10in sub and 6.5in speaker in the rear doors, sick mod. That is actually something that I was thinking of myself down the road, however where did u actually ground your amp kit? I have a leased truck and drilling too many holes in it might make the boys @ toyota alittle pissed @ me, lol.
However, I was digging around in the storage compartments under the rear seats when I discovered that on the passengerside the bolt for the backseat hinge is accessable if the compartment tub is removed, do u think that this would be a suitable place to ground my kit?

- Matt (Osiris117)
Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #5

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris117 View Post
Thanx mjp2,

Putting a 10in sub and 6.5in speaker in the rear doors, sick mod. That is actually something that I was thinking of myself down the road, however where did u actually ground your amp kit? I have a leased truck and drilling too many holes in it might make the boys @ toyota alittle pissed @ me, lol.
However, I was digging around in the storage compartments under the rear seats when I discovered that on the passengerside the bolt for the backseat hinge is accessable if the compartment tub is removed, do u think that this would be a suitable place to ground my kit?

- Matt (Osiris117)
That would work. Also consider the bolts holding the front seats down if you run the wires under the carpet.

How much of a stereo are you looking to install in a leased vehicle? I'd think that would hamper your plans considerably!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
"Historicly, Historic"

Talking Thanx

The dealer where I got my truck dosen't really care what I install in/onto my truck as long as it can be removed if I ever trade it in. Which is doubtful I love my truck.
As for the stereo, I currently have installed a Pioneer DDIN CD/DVD deck w 6.5in touch screen, I have (but have yet to install) a pair of inifnity 6022i 6.5in speakers, as well as a matching component set for the front on order from future shop, as well as a 12in infinity kappa perfect sub, with 300Wat poineer amp, plus the amp kit that I am installing this weekend.
As a Grad gift my parents ordered my a Westin Bullbar for the front of my truck (Black), and a buddy of mine is gonna staff me a set of ASA AR1 18x8in wheel and tire package as a gift as well. Being a university grad has its perks I guess, lol
Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!! I'm a little jealous.

Make sure you post pictures when you're done!