Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stock toyota oil filter or any brand oil filter?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
baldy54 is on a distinguished road
baldy54's Tacoma Gallery
Stock toyota oil filter or any brand oil filter?

I am going to changing my oil in my 06 Tacoma. I was wondering should I buy a stock Toyota oil filter from the dealer or any oil filter that is out on the market? Is there a difference?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
spitviper will become famous soon enough

Name: Luke
spitviper's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't really matter, you can just go to an auto parts store and buy one.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Just don't use Fram.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Just don't use Fram.
x2.

i did not notice this until i read all the info on fram oil filters on this site. i now switched back to the toyota filter. its relatively cheap, and someone did a test on it by cutting it open and it actually did fairly well in how it filtered the iol
Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Wix FTW
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Just don't use Fram.
The silver Fram filters (Extra Guard or Double Guard or Tough Guard, I can't remember) aren't bad, but the regular orange ones are not good. I use Wix/Napa Gold, but any quality filter will do.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
The silver Fram filters (Extra Guard or Double Guard or Tough Guard, I can't remember) aren't bad, but the regular orange ones are not good. I use Wix/Napa Gold, but any quality filter will do.
Well I used the orange ones on my previous cars and never had problems. I'd rather not risk it at all so I stopped using them.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
I use napa gold and mobil 1 full synthetic, IMO it's a great combination
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use the Fram Tough Guard the first few times on my oil changes and no problems but I switched to Toyota OEM filters the past few times and will be sticking with them from now on.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on Napa Gold/Wix. My favorite is Purolator PureOne. I use the PL20195 for oversized application. PureOne showed the best fitration capability of higher end filters. Amazon has them at a good price as well.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
sd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sd_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
+1 on Napa Gold/Wix. My favorite is Purolator PureOne. I use the PL20195 for oversized application. PureOne showed the best fitration capability of higher end filters. Amazon has them at a good price as well.
I agree. I'm coming from a 2008 STI, and one of the members on the Subaru forum took apart pretty much every brand of filter and showed the filtration element and inside construction on each.

The best were the Purolator Pureone and Mobile1 filters. I've been running Pureone's every since and been happy. Plus if you order them from amazon their pricing is comparable to pretty much any filter out there, so why not get the quality of the Pureone?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
+1 Toyota filters.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
Doesnt really matter? LOLOL... The most important maint. item on your truck, but it doesn't matter? Some of you guys will spend X amount of money on air filters, oil brand, tires, etc..., but the oil filter doesnt matter?? HAHAHHA...

Do yourself and your truck a favor and use an OEM filter ONLY. A few extra dollars a year wont kill you, and your truck will thank you by lasting 300,000 miles plus.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
Iv used penzoil in the past but they stopped stocking them at my local kragen. I cant remember what I used this time though
Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 filter w/ Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I always use the k&n oil filters the one inch socket makes it so easy to get off
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know who makes Toyotas filters for them? I highly doubt they make their own filters.

I personally use Puralator Pureone w/ mobil 1 synthetic oil unless advance is running the package deal on the mobil 1 filter and oil.

Edit nevermind...google is my friend. They are made by denso.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Banned
I forgot to mention that I use K&N oil filters because I like having a larger filter and the 1" nut on top is nice.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting article I found while googling...a little dated but still good info. Apparently Mobil 1 filters are made by champion labs as well as a few others such as STP.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using the Mobile 1 filters cause the local store has been throwing one in for free with 5 quarts of Mobile 1.