1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma vs Tundra

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Barnone, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    calaniz0312

calaniz0312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Mission, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Pop a Lock tail gate lock, Dee Zee Heavy Duty bed mat, Viper alarm system, Blacked out headlights, Blacked out tailights.
    It does seem like they give you better deals on tundras, but i'd still go with the taco.

2. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I find it surprising that no one has yet mentioned that the 4.0L is NOT sufficient for the Tundra. It's a fine engine for the Tacoma (although Toyota still should've offered the 4.7L V8/4.6L V8), but the extra thousand pounds on the Tundra are simply out of the engine's class.

If you pick up an 07+ Tundra without one of the V8 engines, you're wasting your time.

3. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    Go on tundra world and get there opinions.....Oh, wait...there isn't one....

That's why you should get a Tacoma! Haha...j/k. I say buy a Tacoma!

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    the 1GR-FE is a good engine. it just won't get u anywhere very fast, just like the 2.7L 2TR-FE 4 banger in the reg cab tacos. but the taco will get better mileage, and it will handle better, waayyy easier to drive, park and it looks ALOT nicer too. :D

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I'm well aware. I test drove several mid-size and full-size trucks when shopping before landing on the Tacoma. The Tundra was among them. I remember the V6 Tundra test drive because it was so comical. In the Taco, the 4.0L scoots. In the Tundra, it strains.

If all you want is something to "get you there", you're purchasing entirely the wrong vehicle anyway by looking at a Tundra. The Corollas are over there -->

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150

I had the same experience but it was during one of GM's big zero percent sales. And yes-The new f150 got uglier. Chrome around the tail lights? Really?

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    Barnone

Barnone [OP] Guest

Trap,
    I have had my bare bones 2002 Tacoma for eight years and don't regret buying it. I don't need all those bells and whistles to get me down the road.

8. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I agree with the bells and whistles. I'm thinking suspension wise. Nothing that can't be fixed at a later date if it's required though.

9. Jun 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs

First of all I did not drive either a 2.7 Taco or 4.0 Tundra, so I might be wrong, but I still would not be so quick bashing the 4.0 in a Tundra. Before my Tacoma I used to have a '98 F-150 Supercab 2wd that I drove for 4 years and put 100k kms on. It came with the 4.2 V6 rated lower in hp and torque as the 4.0l. I used it as a daily driver as well as work truck delivering stuff with bed loaded up to the payload, sometimes over, every weekend and and it did fine for me. Surprisingly my milage did not suffer much either. Of course I did not do any towing. My point is that a reg cab tundra with a v6 can be a good daily driver with the option of having a full size bed when needed. I just dont understand why everything has to be a v8. Not that long ago full size v8 trucks were producing same numbers as today's V6's and everybody did just fine.

10. Jun 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I would typically think if a full size bed is needed, the truck would be used for work and therefore the V8 power would be useful.

Exactly. Standards have risen. Concurrent with those power increases, people now expect their vehicles to behave differently.

I have stated several times I feel the 4.0L should be the base engine for the Taco and the 4.7L/4.6L V8 should be the upsell. I realize the 2.7L does fine for many people, but there is what will work, and then there is what is right.

11. Jun 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    Couldn't agree more. My 4.0L feels like just enough power to get this thing moving. I think a bit more power would actually help gas mileage....This is a big truck to be powered with just 6 cylinders. I would have gladly paid more for a V8.

12. Jun 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    ajviper7

ajviper7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    08 silver TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Really? My truck hauls ass with the 4.0.

13. Jun 4, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.

Don't they all...? Straight from the factory weighing only 2 tons and with 236 horses of pure fury! ;) Seriously, it's my only major complaint....It's not enough power and I really believe mileage would go up with a bigger engine....

14. Jun 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    2010 trd sport

2010 trd sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    none yet
    I wanted the Tundra at first. But when it really came down to it, I really didnt need all that truck. My double cab long bed taco suits me just fine and its less expensive and gets better gas mileage. But if youre going to use it as a work truck or for heavy towing the Tundra is the way to go.

15. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    0-60 in 7.x seconds is adequate in today's world, but that's all it is. It only seems peppy because the competition are such pieces of shit.

It's not necessarily a problem - trucks aren't made to be screamers - but it would've been nice of them to offer additional grunt for those willing to pay for it.

For reference, current model Camry does 0-60 in 6.x seconds.

16. Jun 5, 2010 at 2:14 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    They do, they offer the SC, nobody else even offers that. 0-60 in four seconds flat. On a truck. What more could you want ?

17. Jun 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    The extra power without the additional wear and tear and extra mechanical parts that risk breakage that are present with a blower.

FI is NOT the same as a larger displacement NA engine. There is no replacement for displacement. Not even FI.

And just slapping a blower on is NOT going to get you 0-60 in four seconds on the Taco. You need a whole lot in addition to that blower.

Products Discussed in

To Top