Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Security system?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
SoonerTaco07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
SoonerTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Security system?

I've been looking into getting a Viper security system for my Taco. Anyone else have one or opinions on getting? (I've had my truck broken into once before) If so which did you go with?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
bdwsrjoe's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a quote on one today. It was a Clifford with a 1 mile pager, remote start & window sensor for $550...
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Have you also looked into Viper? There is a place in town that sells the Cliffords also, I just always hear that Viper is the best... but that's just what I've heard.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
bdwsrjoe's Tacoma Gallery
ive owned 2 cliffords before and i didnt have any problems with them. ive never owned a viper.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned a Viper and most recently a Clifford. I didn't notice a difference, but there are just different options for different models whether from Viper or Clifford.

I currently don't have anything in the Tacoma.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
tacoeater will become famous soon enoughtacoeater will become famous soon enough
Name: Johnny
tacoeater's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my tacoma it came with a Viper system already installed. It has a pager with a remote start and it beeps if your alarm is set off. The alarm is pretty sensititve too. I live in Missouri so the remote start is sweet during wintertime and hot ass summer days. I can start my vehicle and it is either cold/hot by the time I get in it. If you have an Iphone, they have an application for the viper system so you can use your phone to unlock your truck. This is a mod I would have never done myself buy I am very glad it came with the truck. I would reccomend it!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
I went by Best Buy yesterday and talked to them about the Viper system (it's all they sell) and I like the features. The remote start is pretty cool and will come in handy. It's just hard to decide between the different kinds of Viper systems. The newest one has an LCD screen and a longer range, but I don't know if I want to drop around 500 for it... I've also heard that they sometimes hit you with extra fees? Have you guys had to deal with that?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver06Taco View Post
I've owned a Viper and most recently a Clifford. I didn't notice a difference, but there are just different options for different models whether from Viper or Clifford.

I currently don't have anything in the Tacoma.

they are made by the same company. they both have the same options, but i think only viper has the iphone app where you can use your phone as the the remote.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
There are more cheaper choices that will get the job done besides Viper. I chose a Autopage LCD remote with remote starter for $325 installed by local shop. Couldn't be happier. I had Autopage in 3 prior vehicles with no issues.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Thanks, I'll have to go check out Autopage. I found a local shop that sells it also.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I have a VIper (an older one). Is a damn good one. Mine's got the engine kill, the remote start, and some other programable option. I like it.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Cliffords and Vipers are both made by DEI and are very similar. Many models even share remotes. I put a Clifford in my 1994 Camaro when new and it still works great. I installed another Clifford (with remote start) in my 2009 Tacoma. I have also owned some Autopage gear along the way. It's good stuff,too.

One thing I would emphasize is that whatever equipment you choose the installation is extremely important. Get good gear with a sloppy install and you will have a nightmare on your hands. If you don't do it yourself make sure the installer knows the system and hopefully knows his way around a Tacoma.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
kbx10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to go with a Viper system as recommended by a close friend, but when talking to the shop they carry Autopage with a lifetime warranty and told me it has all the same features as the Viper, just a lot cheaper. Nothing bad about the Viper (except the $$) but it seems as though you are paying a lot for the name now.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
rob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
For those suggesting the Autopage, which model?
http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside....ts&cat_id=1004

I'd like something that can start the truck, roll down the windows if I want, lock/unlock the door(s) and lock/unlock the tailgate and/or camper shell if wired correctly.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
kbx10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
I have the autopage rs 625 with 2-way LED. It doesn't have the remote start, but I only wanted the security system. I like it so far, and don't have any real complaints. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
I went with the Viper 5701 and I'm defenitly loving it so far, I've had it for about four days now. I bought and had it installed at Best Buy for a total of 501, which I didn't think was bad at all considering that's including the Bypass module and everything else. The 5701 comes with security, remote start, and 2 way LED. The Bypass module didn't even have to use my spare key (I got it back). Overall it's great and have no complaints. You're most likely going to have to buy the add ons such as window roll up and have that installed seperately.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
rob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
Autopage's websit sucks for dealer locator. Nothing in my area.

Viper's isn't a whole lot better though...