Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil plug gasket

Old 06-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #21
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I still wonder very much why it is that my '64 Plymouth has a semi-captive nylon washer that never leaked, my '98 Plymouth has a rubber seal built into the drain plug, but Toyota still uses disposable washers.
Yea, my mom's 2002 Sebring has the original drain plug with rubber seal on it and it doesn't leak.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #22
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
3 for a buck??? At one dealer I bought 6 for .10 cents each. At another dealer I got it free when I bought a OEM oil filter, which IMO is what should happen. Both dealer's washers look like they are coated with some blueish rubbery substance. I torque to the recommended 30 lbs and have never had a leak.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
The Forcer
Sforza will become famous soon enoughSforza will become famous soon enough

Name: Rich
Sforza's Tacoma Gallery
I have 45,000 on my truck. I use the same washer every time I change the oil. The washer stays on the bolt when I remove it and after draining the oil I just put it back in and snug it up. No leaks or drips. I am not planning on ever changing the gasket unless it starts leaking at some point.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
My stealership parts guy told me they are $3 a piece, i started laughing so loud the customers in the showroom were all turning around, then he says they need to be replaced every oil change and he can cut me a deal and give me 3 for $5

I was still laughing all the way out the door.

My 79 Toyota 4X truck went over a quarter million miles on the same washer, I guess they just don't make em like they used too
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM filters I've purchased from my local dealer have always included the washer.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
wanna hear some funny crap i just changed my oil sat and as i was wiping out my oil pan i found the washer i totaly forgot it and guess what no leak so ill have to remember it next time..
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #27
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
fumoto drain valve=never needing one again....well, at least for a long time
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
oem - ftw
Do you know any online sites that sell oem oil drain plug & gasket? I can't find one.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
Do you know any online sites that sell oem oil drain plug & gasket? I can't find one.
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~gasket~for~oil~pan~drain~plug~90430-12031.html
Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
fumoto drain valve=never needing one again....well, at least for a long time
How does the fumoto drain valve hold up over a period of time?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #31
KellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud ofKellyJoe has much to be proud of
Army: UH-60 Blackhawk Crewchief / Mechanic
Name: Kelly
KellyJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjm10 View Post
How does the fumoto drain valve hold up over a period of time?
I've used them for years on several vehicles and have yet to have a problem with them. I don't take mine off road either. I like the cleanliness and convenience.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #32
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
i thought about that too. it hangs down about an inch, but then i thought if your around rocks that are about an inch away from your oil pan and the oil pan is pretty protected in the firstplace, then you're doing some serious rock crawling.
it's not that bad at all it's still tucked under the skid plates.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #33
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
it's not that bad at all it's still tucked under the skid plates.
i just reinstalled it on my new truck (TRD OR). it was more exposed on my TRD Sport.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #34
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
i just reinstalled it on my new truck (TRD OR). it was more exposed on my TRD Sport.
if you are really worried about it getting knocked off, you could always fabricate some type of cover to go over it. it would be really easy to attach it to the surrounding plates. BTW my OME lift is coming tommorrow. you told me to get a wrench meet. how do you do that? just invite people over?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just went to napa and got the nylon washer that fits the drain plug, and now I don't have to worry about leaks or changing that dam washer
Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #36
tussery has a spectacular aura abouttussery has a spectacular aura about
tussery's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tussery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzerdoo77 View Post
wanna hear some funny crap i just changed my oil sat and as i was wiping out my oil pan i found the washer i totaly forgot it and guess what no leak so ill have to remember it next time..
You want to hear something funnier. I think I lost mine on the second oil change and haven't had one for 20,000 miles and don't have a leak.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #37
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkystaco View Post
I just went to napa and got the nylon washer that fits the drain plug, and now I don't have to worry about leaks or changing that dam washer
I bet it was cheaper then the stealership - was it ?