Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil plug gasket

Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
baldy54 is on a distinguished road
baldy54's Tacoma Gallery
Oil plug gasket

I went to the dealer yesterday to get a oil filter and a oil plug gasket. The oil filter is the right one.. But when I asked for gasket for the oil plug. They gave me what looks like a metal washers that you could buy anywhere. It was three for a dollar.. When I look for a part number so I can order them. They did not have any at all on the package. My question is that right what they gave me? Also does anyone have a part number for the gaskets?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, its right. These are crush washers. They compress just a little when you torque down the drain bolt and make a tight seal.

You're supposed to use new ones every time. I've reused the one that came on my motorcycle off the sales floor for 26,000mi with no leak. I reused the one from my 350Z for 74,000mi with no leak.

IMO they should just add 10c to the cost of the filter and include it with that.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
zare34 is on a distinguished road
zare34's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy54 View Post
I went to the dealer yesterday to get a oil filter and a oil plug gasket. The oil filter is the right one.. But when I asked for gasket for the oil plug. They gave me what looks like a metal washers that you could buy anywhere. It was three for a dollar.. When I look for a part number so I can order them. They did not have any at all on the package. My question is that right what they gave me? Also does anyone have a part number for the gaskets?
Man that's a good deal. 3 washers for a buck. The my local toyota dealer
charges $1.13 for one.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
we get them at the dealership in bags,i believe there's 500 per bag.the 500 count is 10.00.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Get a ball valve so much easier
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
So that's 2 cents each. What if I sent you $2 and you sent me 20 washers you would make 8 cents each and I'd have enough washers to cover 100,000 miles of oil changes. Everybody wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
we get them at the dealership in bags,i believe there's 500 per bag.the 500 count is 10.00.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
b2200srunnin is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
b2200srunnin's Tacoma Gallery
the salesman here at my dealership gives me the washers when i come in and get a filter. i dont see why they would charge for them anyway, when i had them change my oil it wasnt on the invoice i got where they charged me for it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Wouldn't it hang down and get knocked off and then no oil and no Taco ?
i thought about that too. it hangs down about an inch, but then i thought if your around rocks that are about an inch away from your oil pan and the oil pan is pretty protected in the firstplace, then you're doing some serious rock crawling.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
man, i got this paper gasket thingy from Autozone, its sealed, but I am worried it may leak. Its about a 8th inch thick.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
my dealership parts guy gives me a couple everytime I ask at no charge...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I would never do this just because of the location. You could be on a wide flat trail and kick up a branch the wrong way and bam - your screwed. I can handle the extra 2 minutes to take out my plug and put it back in.

It is a great idea, just not for me and my Taco.
Yea, What's the big deal about unscrewing the drain plug?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Ball valvue doesnt hang down below skid plate
Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't offroad..... get a Fumoto drain valve. I absolutely love mine. No tools needed to do the oil.

Yeah, it does hang down. If I ever wheeled my truck, I'd get myself a better skid plate that went back and protected the oil pan.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
its not that hard to use a socket .....
ball valve = real bad idea
just my 2 c
Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I still wonder very much why it is that my '64 Plymouth has a semi-captive nylon washer that never leaked, my '98 Plymouth has a rubber seal built into the drain plug, but Toyota still uses disposable washers.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
its not that hard to use a socket .....
ball valve = real bad idea
just my 2 c
Fumoto valves are very well made and I've never heard of one leaking, however, if you don't feel comfortable using one, I wouldn't. You're right, using a socket is no big deal.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I still wonder very much why it is that my '64 Plymouth has a semi-captive nylon washer that never leaked, my '98 Plymouth has a rubber seal built into the drain plug, but Toyota still uses disposable washers.

I wonder as well, as this is the first car I will have that I need to buy a washer at the oil changes. All the rest of my cars were an integrated nut/seal and none have had leaking issues. I wonder if this is a pure cheaper cost for them in manufacturing.