1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fram Oil Filters

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TACOMA TRD, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 17, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    My bad for making the assumption on a part number alone. That being said, where is it stated (back-up info) that the filters are made by Champion?

2. Jun 17, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    It is not official stated anywhere or stated on the SuperTech packaging. With that said, for the last 10+ years or so, the SuperTech filters have the same build characteristics as a Champion built filter for both the Ecore and non Ecore lines Champion builds.

Also, as previously mentioned to some degree, Any filter maker will copy any other filter makers numbering system if request by the company asking for a private label run. FRAM's system is just used more often because it has the most commonly remembered number system.

3. Sep 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM
    FazerDog

FazerDog New Member

Member:
    La$ Vega$
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Dual remote engine oil filters with temp sensor. Auto trans remote filter and small cooler w/ temp sensor.
    Myself, after a weeks worth of internet homework for the best oil filters, I use Purolater Pure One oil filters! Mobil 1 filters as a very close second.

4. Jul 16, 2014 at 3:36 AM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    The Fram Ultra is an exceptional filter. Metal end caps, synthetic media with wire backing, silicon ADBV. Top notch. I wouldn't use the OCOD with the fiber end caps.
    I have been using Purolator, but since the recent media tearing issues on some models have stopped.
    I also use a way oversized filter for better flow, more dirt retention, and more oil capacity.
    Stock filter PL10241 is roughly 1/3qt volume.
    Oversized PL20195 is roughly 1/2qt
    Super sized PL30001 is roughly 1qt.
    Those are Purolator numbers, you can cross-reference them to whatever brand you like. Fram Ultra is XG8A for super sized.

5. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    SamAdison

SamAdison New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I have read that Toyota OEM oil filters are made by Denso. I buy Toyota OEM filters. I'm sure there are lots of good filters out there, and lots of opinions, but based on everything I have read on the subject I think the Toyota filters are very good.

6. Aug 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
  7. Aug 29, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    I buy the Toyota filters online by the case, but in my other vehicles I've never had an issue with Fram filters FWIW.

8. Aug 29, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Why do we buy FRAM filters?

Because Walmart has an entire aisle of them, and they are open late and have the cheapest Mobil 1 in the five quart jug.

Now that I have a bigger shop and a courier box for package delivery, I am buying virtually all my oil and fuel filter by the case from Discount Fleet Supply (wix) for the four wheeled vehicles, and beemerboneyard (bosch/maule) for the motorcycles.

If you buy the case, you will have enough filters for 60k miles, and can easily see when it is time to order.

A DIY oil change is about $30 for Wix filter and Mobil 1.

Howard

9. Aug 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    I'd really like to see something to back this up,

Finally!!! an acceptable reason for not using a Fram

Good one!!! Hay, ya never know!

First I want it known I use Toyota filters on my Tacoma, only because I was given 2 cases & I only drive the Tacoma 5k a year

I have used Fram filters for years, & hundreds of thousands of miles, never a problem, & I have never heard of anyone that has. I use them on all my vehicles

Oil filters like anything else are victims of "Flavor of the Day" syndrome, Batteries, oil, air filters, tires, all experience this. I remember a few years ago where Penzoil was the victim. Penzoil was not "Kool" & the last few years we are being told not to use Fram Filters because it is not "Kool" & for the most part the people that make these claims don't know "Jack Sh#T" about mechanics & even less about oil filters, Does Fram make the best oil filter in the world?? NO! does Fram make a good oil filter? YES

10. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    I've usually stuck with Toyota filters; I'm partial to a sealed/pre-oiled gasget. Don't like what can get into the filter as it's moved from factory to my shopping cart and sure don't want it in my engine.
    That said it seems like T filters can be all over the place in quality/mfr.
    As far as I'm concerned this is THE justificaiton for the move to a simple filter element such as for the newer 2.5L Camry and Rav4 engines; impossible to hide bs manufacturing practices but a pain to install.
    I.e. we dont' have this problem with engine air filters do we?

11. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    That is a valid point. I've on;y messed with the Ford Diesel internal filters and they were only Ford filters. But I would be easier to tell if there was short cut taken. Even then someone will cut corners. And some people would never know the difference or even what to look for.

12. Aug 29, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    FWIW, I have used the fram TG filters on my 04 tacoma. No issus at all. I then realized that Toyota sells OEM filters for the same price. So my next oil change will be a Toyota filter. I doubt my truck will care which filter I use, but I rather use OEM if I can, just for piece of mind.

my .02 cents

Carry on gentlemen :cool:

13. Aug 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    ReidStylez

ReidStylez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    There are somethings I like only use OEM for and depending on the vehicle I either use Fram or OEM. I had a Maxima that would rattle at start up with a Fram filter but quit after using the OEM. So I've been using OEM on the Tacoma.

14. Aug 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    I used to work at a Dyno tuning facility and we saw a few NEW fram filters causing extreme low oil pressure not allowing variable timing to kick in. I would NEVER run a fram product after seeing that so frequently.

15. Aug 29, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I had the same rattle at start up with the Wrangler Sahara with the 3.8 and the Fram. Went to the same Wix, 51348, same as the taco filter and the rattle pretty much went away...Since the Jeep has the filter sideways, it must have been a drainback issue...

Howard

16. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Facts? Or hear say? If there are facts let's see them.

17. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It was once true but the formulas have long been changed nothing to do with sludge and every thing to do with the oils attacking the rubber compound and most so called syn. oils are not any way.

18. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Yes I used the "orange can of doom for 285,000 miles in my 97.

19. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    Tommiet

Tommiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charlotte Area
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Bottom line.....

Fram filters are probably OK. But do you can do better..... I prefer better.

20. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I case you did not know Fram filters were the first screw on filters and have been in business since 1934 but other than that they must be pure junk because they are orange. if you use a Toyota filter or fill in the blanks your engine will last at least 250K if you use a Fram your engine will last at least 250K modern engines just don't pack it up like they did in the 60's with high mileage every thing is better materials, oils and design.

Products Discussed in

To Top