Notices

Larger tires on a 2.7 l

Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Canadian Tacoma
Johnny Kanuck is on a distinguished road

Name: Johnny
Johnny Kanuck's Tacoma Gallery
Larger tires on a 2.7 l

Quick question, I wanna put larger tires on my 09-4 cyl, without adding a lift or sacrificing power. I'm thinking about either 30 or 31. Anyone know if this will cause me problems? If so, can anyone recommend a good size?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
my dads truck has 31's and it takes away a little bit of power but not much and it makes the truck look alot better
Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
im running a 225 75 15 on mine and i have no rubbing and didnt notice any power loss, or very little if any.

on rainy days it can still kick out the ass end on pavement. never could on dry days. but its an auto as well.

i have heard you can run a 235 75 but i thought that would be too close for comfort

edit: wait are you referring to a non prerunner version (4x2) like mine? or the regualr tacoma looking 4cyl?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Maintenance Man has a spectacular aura aboutMaintenance Man has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
Maintenance Man's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 265-75-r16 on my reg cab 4 cyl with no lift. It doesn't rub, did take alittle power away from a dead stop it's noticable.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I think I have this maxed out. I have a reg cab sr5 with no lift and I have 255/75/17 with the fj cruiser wheels. I dont rub either. looked like it might before they were installed but no problems. I still have to even out the rake of the front though.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
lol ok same truck above my post.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
nOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of light

Name: nold
nOLd's Tacoma Gallery
225/75/15

Do you have pictures?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
im running a 225 75 15 on mine and i have no rubbing and didnt notice any power loss, or very little if any.

on rainy days it can still kick out the ass end on pavement. never could on dry days. but its an auto as well.

i have heard you can run a 235 75 but i thought that would be too close for comfort

edit: wait are you referring to a non prerunner version (4x2) like mine? or the regualr tacoma looking 4cyl?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
ANY time you increase wheel or tire weight you will lose power. Rotational mass is equal to 4x static weight....or so.

Increasing tire diameter will effectively alter final gear ratio and you will lose bottom end but get better economy cruising by lowering needed rpm to maintain the same speed.

If you alter tire diameter you your speedo will be off....how do we adjust for that with these trucks? I own HPTuners which is a laptop based software that allows me to completely custom tune my GMC...is there OBII software for Toyota?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
BigMac is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
BigMac's Tacoma Gallery
I put 235/75/15 on my 5 lug with no problems with rubbing at all. Makes the truck look better as well. Haven't noticed any difference in power but I'm not trying to drag race anyone anyway.