Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #321
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I Just throw em in the bed, it is a truck...
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #322
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaTaco View Post
Yes, but not so great once you have more expensive bikes and/or few of them to transport at the same time. It also frees up bed for camping gear etc.

Just bought Swagman XTC-4 hitch rack. Have to assemble it and will post some pics and quick review then.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #323
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I do a hitch mount.. we just bought this one.
http://www.rei.com/product/831927/th...ike-hitch-rack

its great and the arc in the arms keeps the bikes much higher off the ground than the yakima I looked at and was origionally going to buy.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #324
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post

its great and the arc in the arms keeps the bikes much higher off the ground and out of my short bed so I can still put things in it.
FTFY

Sorry, I swear this will be the last time. SB's FTW.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #325
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
FTFY

Sorry, I swear this will be the last time. SB's FTW.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #326
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
I used a combination of Yakima and Thule along with some home made aluminum nuts for the rails.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #327
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaTaco View Post
What do you have for a bike? A Walmart huffy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Yes, but not so great once you have more expensive bikes and/or few of them to transport at the same time. It also frees up bed for camping gear etc.

Just bought Swagman XTC-4 hitch rack. Have to assemble it and will post some pics and quick review then.
This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post

its great and the arc in the arms keeps the bikes much higher off the ground than the yakima I looked at and was origionally going to buy.
Keep it out of the bed to fit more stuff??? Or because they don't fit??? Probably could have used and extra 1' in your bed eh?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #328
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post

Keep it out of the bed to fit more stuff??? Or because they don't fit??? Probably could have used and extra 1' in your bed eh?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #329
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
What do you have for a bike? A Walmart huffy?

This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
you longbed losers! I have a cap! go get stuck on a rock!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #330
RichardDance is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
RichardDance's Tacoma Gallery
Bike Tailgate Pads

I have a lot of mountain bikers and grandkids in our family. Once I found out about tailgate pads I have never looked for another method of transporting bikes.

I regularly take 6 mountain bikes and it is no hassle at all and the cheapest way to transport bikes.

Yakima, Thule, Softride, and Dakine all have models. I have a Dakine.

I set them over the trailgate. Hook one strap over them all and presto it is done.

I'll never go back to something else. Why didn't I discover this years ago.

Richard
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #331
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Just got this.

But I lowered the tailgate and figured I could just wheel the bike onto the bead front forward and ratchet strap the handle bars to two cleats on the forward rail.

Anyone try this? Kinda like motorcycle style.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #332
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Bike fork mount attached to the rails in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?-bike-fork-mount-03-26-13.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #333
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I have a super fancy kuat nv bike rack for my truck, but when i am carrying one or two bikes I use ratchet straps and use the bed cleat and handlebars motorcycle style. It is very stable and works well. I only do that with my all mountain bike though. I prefer to use a fork mount or my hitch rack for road bike or cross country rides with carbon fiber parts
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #334
McTrauma is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
McTrauma's Tacoma Gallery
I just tie it down with some straps like a dirtbike... Downhill bike so its a bit heavier than something like a road/XC bike though.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #335
Never let your fear decide your fate
mommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shedmommehK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kel
mommehK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Bike fork mount attached to the rails in the bed.
Where did you get yours? I like that one.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #337
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommehK View Post
http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_rack...chSD_p/011.htm

if you need at 20mm or 15mm mount

http://www.rockymounts.com/DriveShaf...unt_p/1085.htm
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueman View Post
How do you keep the back wheel from moving and the rear end from falling off?
I will let the OP answer but if you crank the fork mount down like you should there should be very little bouncing. I mean I would take corners a bit slow but if you have good mtb tires the should grip the textured edge of the tailgate.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #339
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommehK View Post
I got it from Mountain Equipment Co-op.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #340
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueman View Post
How do you keep the back wheel from moving and the rear end from falling off?
Just a bungee cord from the chainstay down to the bottom of the bumper. It never moves.

Products Discussed in this Thread