Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
rontom is on a distinguished road
rontom's Tacoma Gallery
I used a similar setup to"davidpick" and went with a 1 x 6 (reinforced with a 2 x 4 on the bottom).
Attached Thumbnails
Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?-dsc_0234.jpg  
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
I use a couple of fork mount attached to the factory rail,it works for QR front wheels but not for DH or 20mm thru axles,thats when this come in
Old 06-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #23
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonsfinest View Post
Well Cortland I hope it holds it in there really well, because I just purchased one based solely on your recommendation!
You shouldn't have any problems with it...I really like mine.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #24
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
i don't really give a shit about my bike...lol i just throw it in there and tie a rope over it so it doesn't fly out...which can happen lol...
could you elaborate on how your bike flys out?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted a rail from Saris to the bed mat that fork mounts can be mounted to in various ways.
My Tandem wouldn't clear the back door of the shell so I made a proto type slider so I can put it in front first without crawling in. Works for my singles too. Some day I'll find time to make it a from something a little lighter and cooler looking but it works for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?-cimg0007009.jpg   Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?-cimg0009007.jpg   Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?-cimg0005011.jpg   Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?-cimg0011005.jpg  
Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
I just toss mine in the bed most of the time, if I do go on long distance trips I just strap them with the bed cleats.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #27
BlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: James
BlueSteel's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a hard bed cover, then the Rocky Mounts are what you should go with. I have the Truxedo Low Pro QT soft cover and the Rocky Mounts...the combo works great! The Rocky Mounts have a clutch that can be locked for bike security.

I had a dual folding hitch mount before the Rocky Mounts and the hitch mount stuck out too far. The rack would stick out significantly in parking spaces and it made it hard to open and close the Tailgate.

I never wanted to strap in bikes on the rack over the cab. I had a friend that had a classic 68 Ford Mustang with one of those setups and one day he pulled up in my driveway with the bike strapped in and nailed my metal carport. It tore his roof up pretty good.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

I started with the Toyota rail one. It sucked. sold it. now I use this setup. works great. an I can still have all my tools and biking stuff protected.

dont know how to add photo here. go to my site if you wish to see it.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #30
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
I mounted a rail from Saris to the bed mat that fork mounts can be mounted to in various ways.
My Tandem wouldn't clear the back door of the shell so I made a proto type slider so I can put it in front first without crawling in. Works for my singles too. Some day I'll find time to make it a from something a little lighter and cooler looking but it works for now.
Nice Santana...I was curious how tight a tandem would fit with a rear topper.

So far I have gone the easy route, but don't deal with the topper. Two Bike Tights fastened to the front rail. Carries our singles easily, and works ok for the road and one of our mountain tandems with the tailgate down and bed extender.

The second mountain tandem with the 20mm front axle gets tied down into the corner like a dirt bike.

Luckily we have a full size long Ford Van setup to carry motocross bikes with a partition/wall behind the second row of seats. This works best for all of our tandem adventures with any traveling.

Nice setup you built though. Good solution to one of the issues we all contend with owning a tandem.

PK
Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #31
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmbr549 View Post
Another Rocky Mounts user.
+6 or whatever. Also have the locking skewers. Also use the motorcycle tie down straps on occasion for bike in the middle if hauling 3 or with single & have a bumper/hitch mount rack I could also use. Then there's the standby 2x4 with 2 mounts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Anything w/o a motor, I stay away from.
You do know that chicks don't have motors, right?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #32
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
I started with the Toyota rail one. It sucked. sold it. now I use this setup. works great. an I can still have all my tools and biking stuff protected.

dont know how to add photo here. go to my site if you wish to see it.

Where's your page? I am curious what you use and why the Toyota rail one was junk?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #33
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ i had the toyota rail mount on for a while....there wasn't anything "wrong" with it, i just thought it had a little too much play for my liking. the bike would tilt from side to side going over bumps and around turns. it never broke and the bike never fell out or anything, so it's safe and secure, it just moves a little.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #34
Captain Funk
techgeekwill has a spectacular aura abouttechgeekwill has a spectacular aura about
techgeekwill's Tacoma Gallery
I just prop mine up at the side of the bed and use the cleats to wrap a bungie cord around it. Works well enough, but I'm planning on going with cleats one I get the truck box.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #35
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

whittaco2 click on my camera. (below avatar). I had problem with the toyota on in that getting tight and loose from fork was a pain and if you were on bumpy roads going a little too fast, the rear of the baike would sway back/forth. I tried putting picture in here but it asks for a url and I dont know what the hell that means. Yes I am new to this.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #36

[/IMG] nope.. didnt work..
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #37
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Is this what you are talking about? Can you post a pic of what your bike looks like on it?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #38
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
If you don't have a hard bed cover, then the Rocky Mounts are what you should go with. I have the Truxedo Low Pro QT soft cover and the Rocky Mounts...the combo works great! The Rocky Mounts have a clutch that can be locked for bike security.

I had a dual folding hitch mount before the Rocky Mounts and the hitch mount stuck out too far. The rack would stick out significantly in parking spaces and it made it hard to open and close the Tailgate.

I never wanted to strap in bikes on the rack over the cab. I had a friend that had a classic 68 Ford Mustang with one of those setups and one day he pulled up in my driveway with the bike strapped in and nailed my metal carport. It tore his roof up pretty good.
I have the Truxedo Lo Pro Qt as well. Can you leave the mount on and close the cover without any problems? If so that would be great!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #39
BIG EYE is on a distinguished road

Name: David
BIG EYE's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my fork mounts.
The brand is Delta. I got them on Amazon for $14.00 each.
As you can see part of the clamp on the skewer is fixed, which makes it so you can lock it (locks purchased separately), but it also makes it hard to pull the clamp open because you cannot get your finger in there. I added the rope so i have something to pull on.

As for mounting it in the rail, I got a piece of aluminum from Home Depot that was 1" wide x 3' long x 1/8" thick and cut off a piece that was the same length as the mount, drilled holes to match the holes on the mount, and put 2 bolts with locking washers through the back and a nut on the front to hold it all together. Very sturdy and can be used a tie down when needed.

At some point i will probably either upgrade the skewers to something like the Yakima ones, or get Rocky Mounts fork mounts, but i was able to build these two into my bed rail for less than one Yakima or Rocky Mounts fork mount, so i am OK with it for now..

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #40

Whitetaco2 yes. Thats I mean. go to my site and I have pics of bike mounted. lucky for you Im going riding tonight so Its mounted. If I didnt have the tonneau cover I would use the tail gate pad as suggested by Physiodude, Its the easiest of them all. Thats if you prefer not having to remove front wheel.

p.s. how do you post pic on this?

Products Discussed in this Thread