Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transporting Bicycles, What do you use?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #41
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Nice Santana...I was curious how tight a tandem would fit with a rear topper.

So far I have gone the easy route, but don't deal with the topper. Two Bike Tights fastened to the front rail. Carries our singles easily, and works ok for the road and one of our mountain tandems with the tailgate down and bed extender.

The second mountain tandem with the 20mm front axle gets tied down into the corner like a dirt bike.

Luckily we have a full size long Ford Van setup to carry motocross bikes with a partition/wall behind the second row of seats. This works best for all of our tandem adventures with any traveling.

Nice setup you built though. Good solution to one of the issues we all contend with owning a tandem.

PK
Thanks.
Before I bought the truck I measured dozens of times to see if I could just back it in at an angle and everything said yes.
When I got the shell I did not take into account the sloping angle of the back hatch.
Could make it fit by turning the bars to full lock but did not like that method so my slider idea was born using the material I'm most used to wood.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #42
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
Whitetaco2 yes. Thats I mean. go to my site and I have pics of bike mounted. lucky for you Im going riding tonight so Its mounted. If I didnt have the tonneau cover I would use the tail gate pad as suggested by Physiodude, Its the easiest of them all. Thats if you prefer not having to remove front wheel.

p.s. how do you post pic on this?
Very nice!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #43
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
p.s. how do you post pic on this?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...rum-posts.html
Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #44
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks whitey..I kept trying the icon on the top. will remember for next time. what you think> gonna try this?.

BTW where in GA you live. I used to live in Marrieta and Columbus.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Thanks whitey..I kept trying the icon on the top. will remember for next time. what you think> gonna try this?.

BTW where in GA you live. I used to live in Marrieta and Columbus.

I like it but don't have a topper.

I live in Warner Robins GA.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #47
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
idk what brand they are, but I got them from a local bike store for $10 ea

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #48
WRECKLESS for Life...
Wreckless_71 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Reserve County Sheriff
Name: Justin
Wreckless_71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Anything w/o a motor, I stay away from.

X2

mostly, I ride a Kona dirt jumper when I don't have time for the Dirt Scoot though...
I strap her down MX style, front wheel on the bulkhead, two straps to the corners.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #49
WSMTOY is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
WSMTOY's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.softopper.com/Toyota_Bike...m-details.aspx

This looks pretty cool. I like the fact that it sits low so your bike is protected by the cab and bugs don't get splattered all over the front of your bike.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #50
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
I designed/made this rack and fork mounts to fit 4 bikes in my DC Short bed WITH a truck box...
To access the truck box, I pull a pin from each side and rotate the crossbar upward, can even do it with 1 or 2 bikes still attached just have to drop the tailgate so they can back up. VERY sturdy and it was free minus a few hours of build time. Not the prettiest thing, still need to paint and make some adjustments but VERY functional

Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #51
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I use a trailer hitch mount. Similar to this one:
Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #52
Lurker
Taco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant future
Taco Guapo's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel on, secured with tie-downs in the bed like a dirt bike.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #53
snudley is on a distinguished road
snudley's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my Rocky Mounts Clutch SD's...

Holy frickin' hell! I could mount a motorcycle onto these things if it would fit.

I thought they must have sent the wrong items when I picked up the box. Calling these things beefy doesn't do them justice. Between their mass and the built in locks, I'm real glad I didn't use my old Delta mounts with washers and screws.

Thanks to all on the forum that recommended these mounts.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #54
BIG EYE is on a distinguished road

Name: David
BIG EYE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snudley View Post
Holy frickin' hell! I could mount a motorcycle onto these things if it would fit.

I thought they must have sent the wrong items when I picked up the box. Calling these things beefy doesn't do them justice. Between their mass and the built in locks, I'm real glad I didn't use my old Delta mounts with washers and screws.

Thanks to all on the forum that recommended these mounts.
If its not to late, before you install can you take a pic of all the pieces? Mounting brackets, screws, and the mounts them selves?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #55
snudley is on a distinguished road
snudley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG EYE View Post
If its not to late, before you install can you take a pic of all the pieces? Mounting brackets, screws, and the mounts them selves?

This video shows all the parts and their use quite well, although I found these cheaper than from the company that posted the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvXxnBgWOnE
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #56

Has anybody ever mounted their bikes sideways (Using side rails)? Is that a bad thing to do? I have a toolbox so may need to mount it sideways....
Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #57
ToBeFrank is on a distinguished road
ToBeFrank's Tacoma Gallery
I get my Rockymounts tomorrow. I wanted them for the beefy lock. I don't plan to be away from my bike for a long time, but definitely want the security for when we stop to eat at a restaurant or something. But after seeing the video above, I'm disappointed. It looks like they are attached with standard allen bolts. What's to stop a thief from undoing the bolts and taking the bike and the mount? It would only take a couple minutes.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #58
Ivanhoe is on a distinguished road
Ivanhoe's Tacoma Gallery
In the locked position the thief SHOULDN'T be able to access the bolts, otherwise the locking feature would be useless. It's hard to tell in the video though. Interested to see your results.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #59
BIG EYE is on a distinguished road

Name: David
BIG EYE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snudley View Post
This video shows all the parts and their use quite well, although I found these cheaper than from the company that posted the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvXxnBgWOnE

Thanks for posting that! I have had my eyes on the RM Clutch SD for a while. A few posts up, you can see i got Delta ones that work, but are not as "user friendly", and i had to make my own mounting hardware for the bedrail.....

If you don't mind; how much did you pay for the mounts?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #60
ToBeFrank is on a distinguished road
ToBeFrank's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
you have to remove the entire skewer to get to the bolts. In the locked position the thief wouldn't be able to access the bolts, otherwise the locking feature would be useless.
I initially thought that, but wouldn't a cut down allen wrench easily get in there?

Products Discussed in this Thread