Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New dual VVT-i V6 in FJ and 4Runner...

Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Soundwave has a spectacular aura aboutSoundwave has a spectacular aura about

Soundwave's Tacoma Gallery
New dual VVT-i V6 in FJ and 4Runner...

I Just drove a brand new 2010 FJ Cruiser automatic 4x4 with the new Dual VVT-i V6 (also in the new 4runner) 258HP, I can't say it was a huge difference over the old 4.0L (which I have in my Tacoma, and I have driven in FJ's as well) it was smoother, valve tick has not as noticeable. But the power hardly felt any different. Im sure this V6 will show p in the next gen Tacoma and will be a welcome power plant. Not sure why they don't put it in now?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I've got it in my 4Runner now and it's 270hp and 278lb ft of torque. I notice it considerably when going up a hill. Where the FJ would kick down a gear the 4Runner effortlessly maintains.

You will notice a difference when you change the oil though!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Well thats cool! Any weight change in the new FJs...like upgraded stuff or is it the same model just different engine?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i drove the 2010 T4R SR5 and it was smoother and quieter. But it don't fell much faster than the tacomas. But i would love it if it was in the tacoma. Engine tick in ours are annoying but i got over it.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
whats the mileage on the new 4runners.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
whats the mileage on the new 4runners.
Its not much more. I think its 1mpg more city and 2mpg more hwy.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
2011 tacomas aren't getting the new 4.0 yet.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
jimmydean is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
jimmydean's Tacoma Gallery
Is that official or are you just speculating reguarding the 2011 model?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I've got it in my 4Runner now and it's 270hp and 278lb ft of torque. I notice it considerably when going up a hill. Where the FJ would kick down a gear the 4Runner effortlessly maintains.

You will notice a difference when you change the oil though!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
^ yeah what do you mean? I know I was looking into changing my friends oil on her 2010 sr5 and there is alot different. Canister filter, apparently the skid plate is a pain to remove...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
My gf has a 2010 FJ. I was trying to be the handy boyfriend and offered to change her oil, thinking I could save her money from taking it to a dealership.

1st thing is that it requires 0w-20, that is $7/quart x6

2nd thing I found out was that it has a f#$%#cartridge filter behind the damn skid plate AND Toyota has a special tool made just to remove the housing. I had to take a hammer and punch to take it off. (don't tell her that though). The filter was like $10 too.

So long story short, it was a 2 hour $52 oil change. I told her to take it to the stealership next time, they only charged $45.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
My gf has a 2010 FJ. I was trying to be the handy boyfriend and offered to change her oil, thinking I could save her money from taking it to a dealership.

1st thing is that it requires 0w-20, that is $7/quart x6

2nd thing I found out was that it has a f#$%#cartridge filter behind the damn skid plate AND Toyota has a special tool made just to remove the housing. I had to take a hammer and punch to take it off. (don't tell her that though). The filter was like $10 too.

So long story short, it was a 2 hour $52 oil change. I told her to take it to the stealership next time, they only charged $45.
yeah, thats pretty much what we came up with too.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Is that official or are you just speculating reguarding the 2011 model?
Its real.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
well I speculate its because the new tacoma will have a brand new engine and why update right before they do the redesign? But that's a different thread...