Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

glove compartment door stopper

Old 06-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Karo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Karo
Karo's Tacoma Gallery
glove compartment door stopper

does this stopper really help lower your glove comp. slowly? mine comes crashing down every time i open it.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Yes....it does work when its connected.

Yours probably came off . Just re-connect it.

It's notorious for coming off especially if you've removed it enough times to change the cabin filter. The damn thing never stays on. I put a screw in mine to prevent it from disconnecting.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was never connected. Soo I tossed it out.... the window lol jk but I did throw it away.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yes....it does work when its connected.

Yours probably came off . Just re-connect it.

It's notorious for coming off especially if you've removed it enough times to change the cabin filter. The damn thing never stays on. I put a screw in mine to prevent it from disconnecting.
Where did you put the screw into? mine keeps comming off so this is a good idea. Pics?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
Same problem.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Scroll down to the pictures in post #6 in the link below. Install the damper on the dash (insert hole B in damper over tab B on the dash...see pics). Then find a wide, but short, screw and install it between the two spreadable ends of the tab (B). It will hold that damper on until you remove the screw. Mine's been this way for over 5 years. Another option is to place some 3M double-sided tape in between the tabs once the damper is on.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ghlight=damper
Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Scroll down to the pictures in post #6 in the link below. Install the damper on the dash (insert hole B in damper over tab B on the dash...see pics). Then find a wide, but short, screw and install it between the two spreadable ends of the tab (B). It will hold that damper on until you remove the screw. Mine's been this way for over 5 years. Another option is to place some 3M double-sided tape in between the tabs once the damper is on.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ghlight=damper
X2

I can take a picture of the screw if anyone needs me to (might be a day before I can do that). It's not pretty....

Just this week I removed the shock absorber by disconnecting it at the glove box side so I didn't have to pull the screw out. I'm sure that side (black prongs) will need repaired eventually also. Plastic...
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Karo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
So is this stopper suppose to help lower the glove box really slowly? Or just a little slower than just free fall? Because mine opens up a bit slower than free fall, no dramatic difference between it being on or off. Is it broken?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #9
KINGY2 is on a distinguished road
KINGY2's Tacoma Gallery
I threw that piece of shit in the garbage .
Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo View Post
So is this stopper suppose to help lower the glove box really slowly? Or just a little slower than just free fall? Because mine opens up a bit slower than free fall, no dramatic difference between it being on or off. Is it broken?
Yes

If your glovebox isn't free falling - then the damper is connecting and working.

Go ahead and disconnect it and you'll see the difference.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I used a piece of cardboard folded up a few times. I stuffed it betweenthe forks of the tab that holds the damper on. I was going to use a screw, but I wanted something easy access. If you don't use the damper and that thing falls, its a loud bang and can't be good.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I recently put mine back on as it wasn't on when I bought the truck used a year ago. I think it makes a big difference, almost to where I thought it wasn't going to open.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #13

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
I used a piece of cardboard folded up a few times. I stuffed it betweenthe forks of the tab that holds the damper on. I was going to use a screw, but I wanted something easy access. If you don't use the damper and that thing falls, its a loud bang and can't be good.
uhh can you please post a pic of this cardboard/screw invention?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
All this time, I thought that was a coin holder for quarters, no bullshit...lol.

Gee, now I know...thanks guys!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo View Post
uhh can you please post a pic of this cardboard/screw invention?
I'll try later today. Basically, on the truck there is a tab. On this tab there are to arrow-looking tabs. On the damper there is an eyelet. The arrows go through the eye on the damper. When brand new, the tabs will stay apart to keep the tension tight. After a few times removing it or pulling on the glovebox it can lose some of that tension and fall off. I stuck that folded piece of cardboard between the arrow looking tabs. That kept the tension tight. IIRC, I put the top on first (where the cardboard is) and then extended the damper and attached it to the glovebox. Hope that helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
canucktacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
canucktacoma's Tacoma Gallery
good post was wondering what it was,stopped at dealer to find out,mine's not on ,will try to reattach,
Old 03-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
poggyg is on a distinguished road
poggyg's Tacoma Gallery
thanks lots----confusing setup!!