Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

pop n lock wont let me open my tail gate

Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
pop n lock wont let me open my tail gate

i've had it for a few month and had it installed by the guys at 4wheelpart, it worked fine but always kinda stuck a little. Now it just wont even open, if i'm lucky and push my tail gate in the right way i might be able to open it. does anyone know or have any advise on what i should do? i'm thinking of just reverting to the oem part just to not deal with it anymore.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
you didn't say if elect or mechanical?

now when you install it they give you two small replacement parts for the cam..
well before i put the skin back on the truck i tried it and would work fine, but would have to jiggle the talegate, so i did install the two plastic extensions.
so my first guess is they didn't
x2...On the mechanical pop 'n lock you may have to use the extensions that it comes with. On my '06 tailgate I didn't have to use them. It's very easy to install, just take off the tailgate skin and take a look at it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Did you try to put the key in it and cycle the lock? Perhaps spray some lubrication in the lock - something might be stuck in half locked position?

Just guessing..... I have one but haven't had any problems with it in 2 years.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
it was weird cause they installed it in like a couple min (i didn't actually see them doing it) and then gave me the box and just my old handle. i didn't get anything else so maybe they did install the extenders but idk.

its not locked cause i tried some wd 40 on it and putting the key in it and locking/unlocking it so thats fine. like i lift the handle and sometimes hear one click, i think it might be releasing one side and not the other but it feels like both are still stuck.

should i go to the toyota dealer ship or to 4wheelparts where i got it installed?

thank you guys for the advice.

p.s its the manual one not the electric one.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrayrasta View Post
it was weird cause they installed it in like a couple min (i didn't actually see them doing it) and then gave me the box and just my old handle. i didn't get anything else so maybe they did install the extenders but idk.

its not locked cause i tried some wd 40 on it and putting the key in it and locking/unlocking it so thats fine. like i lift the handle and sometimes hear one click, i think it might be releasing one side and not the other but it feels like both are still stuck.

should i go to the toyota dealer ship or to 4wheelparts where i got it installed?

thank you guys for the advice.

p.s its the manual one not the electric one.
Try applying pressure to the gate like you're closing it, at the same time lift the the handle. The latches might be binding. If that works? take apart the gate and remove those plastic extenders.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
If it doesn't work I'd got to the guy that installed it and while you are at it I'd ask to look over his shoulder. They will probably give you some BS about insurance in the work bay but it's worth a shot. There really isn't much to it. If you don't get any satisfaction try it yourself and follow the instructions that came with it.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem, or at least similar. I had one on my old tacoma, and I loved it. I got one for my 2009 maybe 6 months ago, with the back up cam so i had to wait like 6 months to get it. Anyway, it NEVER felt right, and i did put the extenders on. With my old one, I could leave the thing unlocked if i wanted to, this one, I can't. Like, I cant get my key out unless i start to turn it to locking...and its like, half locked, half not. and when you pull the handle it just like missed and then is locked. My problem is when you turn the key to unlock it, the handle wont lift quite right and it turns a bit...it always opened, until yesterday. I had to freaking unbolt the backing and manually pop the lock. I looked around, tinkered, and it looks like the spring is crappy. I'm debating on getting a different brand, or just getting another pop n lock and hoping that this one was just a dud....has anyone else had that problem? Is anyone else fully capable of leaving their tailgate completely unlocked with a 2009 with a back up cam?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 09 and my Pop n Lock used to lock itself every time i closed the tail gate, they have a replacement spring to fix the problem.
Call Pop n Lock ( 1-800-342-5911) and tell them you need the upgraded spring for the PL5300 maybe it will help.
I installed the new spring last week and so far it works fine.

Denis
Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
eguiney is on a distinguished road
eguiney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrayrasta View Post
i've had it for a few month and had it installed by the guys at 4wheelpart, it worked fine but always kinda stuck a little. Now it just wont even open, if i'm lucky and push my tail gate in the right way i might be able to open it. does anyone know or have any advise on what i should do? i'm thinking of just reverting to the oem part just to not deal with it anymore.

I had the exact same problem. The issue is that the lock is so poorly made that the whole unit flexes when you pull the handle so that the lever cannot move the mechinism that pulls the rods that unlock the tailgate. Since the unit was installed and used, the return policy from Autoanything only gave me the option to have the piece of junk replace with a duplicate piece of junk.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I've had one installed on my 06 for about 4 years now. From day 1 it made the latch a little tougher to open, but hasn't gotten any worse over time. If I try to slowly open it, it won't open, but if I give it a solid pop, it'll open every time. Maybe that'll solve your problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Nature just gets the blow-by
Twirlin will become famous soon enough

Twirlin's Tacoma Gallery
mine has the same problem. i had to push the tailgate in and then really pop it open. took about 3 tries. now it's broken completely and i can't open my tailgate! any suggestions? by the way, i have a tonneau that opens from the underside!