1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Protection From Rust, Raptor Bed Liner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by black_magic2010, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    What about the under coating Shit they sale at wal-mart. Any good??

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    That looks like surface rust. No big deal. Do you live near the beach being in san Diego?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    No I do not and my truck does not spend any time there either. My point is that if it was painted properly there would be no surface rust, and moreover, its only going to get worse.

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Looks like its time for me to spray the Shit outta my frame :D

5. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Does it ever rain or get humid in San Diego? Tiny bits of surface rust like your photo is normal and going to happen on essentially any vehicle.

I agree with you - the undercoating on our trucks COULD be better - so could the suspension, and many other items people improve through the aftermarket.

However, again, I see no reason to believe there is a design flaw with the rust prevention on our trucks - nothing like what the first gens deal with. That may change 10 years on. We'll see, but if there is a problem, it hasn't reared its head high enough yet.

TRDMountaineer likes this.
  6. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Are you talking about the stuff that comes in the aerosol can? I haven't used it personally, but I've used truck bed liner in an spray can - which is similar - on some rims and they did NOT hold up. You could literally scrape it off with your fingernails.

Better than nothing, but not the best imho. I guess it's a cheap extra layer of protection.

I think I'll go with U-pol now because it's urethane, it comes with a spray gun, and it requires mixing (that makes me feel like it'll create a chemical reaction that will make it stick better imho).

7. Jun 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Yeah that's the shit I was talkin about! Figures it wouldn't hold up.

8. Jun 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Gentlemen we are all going to eventually spend some serious cash on our tacos. I think a hundred dollars and a few hours of your time is worth investing. Not only will it prevent rust but will keep that frame looking great. Even a lil surface rust is an eyesore. Thats why I decided to spray my frame. I heard all it takes to clean the bedliner material is a can of armorall tire foam.

I sprayed my truck on sun, its tueday and the thing is rock hard. I'm surprised that for a hundred dollars I got a product this strong. I'll take some more pics later on and post.

9. Jun 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Sweet! I'm really excited about this. Do you think you have the heart to take a hammer to it and/or a metal scraper?

Because that, my friend, is the true test of quality.

10. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    black_magic2010

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:

You know I was thinking of doing the same thing. Only thing is that you need to let it dry like 5-7 days for the full protection. I did it on Sun so I'm thinking I should do a lil video to show how durable it is. And even if i do manage to scrape some off I know for sure the frame wont be taking that sort of abuse. Main reason I did this was to protect the frame and the underbody from moisture. But you're right that is the true test of quality. I got a spray on bedliner on my chevy and I've done the scrape test with a shovel and it didnt do anything. I'm hoping to do the same with this product. As soon as I do it I'll be sure to post a video:D

11. Jun 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    ballz716

ballz716 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any updates?

12. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    black_magic2010

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Naw, nothing new to report. I'm going away for a while and packed everything into storage including a camera. ONly thing is that bedliner I used is holding up. I managed to key it up and nothing happened, so its strong stuff. Don't know why more members aren't doing this to their frames. Yes i sometimes read that it just makes it worse cause moisture still gets through and B.S. like that. I beg to differ, bedliner material is everything proof and the day somebody shows me the frame rusting even after having it sprayed with bedliner I will not push this onto anyone. So for now I have to say, get this done to your frame. There is this wax I hear a lot of members raving about, but you got to have it done once a year. Its pricey, its messy, and tends to drip from your frame once outside temps soar. If you ask me, do it right the first time and you'll only have to do it once. Plus the bedliner makes the frame look nice. Check out my pics on the OP and see if that convinces you to get this done before your frame rusts.

13. Jun 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I can't comment on the frame, but I remove my lightbar and respray with bedliner each year due to rusting. This of course after sandblasting away the surface rust. Tried both with and without primer without luck. I think you'll do fine in texas, but nothing really PERMANENTLY provides a solution on the east coast.

14. Jun 22, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    black_magic2010

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yes I do live in texas so I guess I really cant complain. Our metal doesnt take a beating from salt on the roads, but our paint sure does with this hot texas sun. Also might sound like a stupid question, but you sure you're using bedliner material. A lot of members confuss it with undercoating, which is totally different. This urethane material is strong and really bonds to the surface. Undercoating is just a rubber coating, doesnt stick well and flakes off. I have this experience since i sprayed the frame on my chevy with undercoating. Eitherway urethane bedlinner material is always my only choice when it comes to protecting something from the weather:D

15. Jan 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Leigh

Leigh Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 2.7 litre
    I noticed you coated the outside of the chassis members, but, according to other members, the rust continues to form inside them... could the spraying get into the drain holes of the chassis to prevent this adequately?

16. Jan 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    black_magic2010

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    I did spray the inside of the frame. The frame isn't boxed so if u get onto your back and go under the truck u can spray the inside frame. Mines still holding strong and its been a little more than a year.

17. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    JRod4928

JRod4928 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma SR5
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Antenna X Black Mesh Grillcraft with Tacoma Badge (Upper) and Cross (Lower) 18" BMF Wheels / Cooper 31.5" Tires 2" Leveling Kit
    Good write up!

I'm about to do this to my truck this month. I live in PA so there's salt everywhere.

Any tips? and could you post new pictures of your truck where you treated it now that it's been about 2 years since you've done it? Before/after style.

I don't know if i'm going to go so far as to coat my suspension components either, as some people mentioned, but definitely the frame underneath.

18. Nov 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    08navytrd

08navytrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Italy
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD Sport
    K&N CAI Flowmaster super 40 dual exhaust, Upgraded 6 disc from factory single disc, mag light attached to driver door, bilstein 5100 set at highest up front and 5100s in the rear, 1.5'' add a leaf in rear, aftermarket black headlights, 35w hids 6000k low beams, 4 85w HID off road lights 6000k color,
    good write up but IMHO i would not have sprayed the brake lines, not saying they wont hold up but it will certainly dry out none the less good write up.

19. Nov 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    OP, It's been 2.5 years since you did this. How'd that Raptor stuff hold up?

20. Nov 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    black_magic2010

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Still going strong, no problems what's so ever. Just remember to really scuff any area you plan on spraying. Prep is everything.

e46_ema likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top